Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weekly Questions - Meet Tunney MOD WARNING POST 1

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Feck ya fazz I thought I was done here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

tunney wrote: »
    Feck ya fazz I thought I was done here.

Sorry bit late to the party!!!
    :)

Fazz wrote: »
    Hi Dave,

I've read most of the posts here but with 10 pages may have missed some so forgive if any duplicates...

Disclaimer - sorry a bit long/boring/geek oriented!

1 - Do you think the current Irish Ironman Record of 8:45 held by LCD will be beaten this year or do you think it's likely to hold up a while longer?
    Currently I think on paper M Muldoon is in for Roth'14 and prob the best chance.
    Or Shane Scully in for IM Sweden but his IM debut.

I don't think any of the lads knocking on the door will break it. I've been vocal in not rating the "man crushes" and will remain so. If we exclude the ridiculously short course, Dolan has held it since 2009.

Scully - an unknown. See how he goes.
    Do you see the record being lowered by much in the near future?

I see it going to 08.30 - just don't know who will take it there but it will go there. Just need someone who can bike like Dolan, swim like an ITUer, and run fast too!
    Strictly from an Age Grouper perspective - Robbie Wade a strong potential in the pro ranks this year if he goes long.

Ah the linear extrapolation of finishing times.

2 - Having been reasonably involved in coaching/part coaching LCD during one or two of his record holding times, it's fair to say you've a strong understanding of the level and volume required to get to that level, as well as mental attitude to deliver over an ironman.
    Could you advise on a basic level in your opinion the approx avg volume required on a weekly basis for a typical ag'er to reach this level (motherload of all assumptions here, few years training, proper structure etc etc).

At that level generalities don't work :)
    Swim lots, bike more than you think you need too, run loads.
    Dolan fuels AMAZINGLY from fat. I've gone on 250km cycles at pace with him and he has 1l of water and a banana. Its not the speed that is important its how its fueled, hence not always scaling.
    3 - Which would you prefer to do in a race?
    - Swim like a fish and lead out and try suffer to hold on battling at the front from the off?
    - Bike like a beast through the field and first into t2 trying to hold on?
    - Run like a brownlee past as many as poss and try to get the win right at the end?

Run - if you have a good run you can have a great memory of the race regardless. Good swim, bad run. You'll remember the run
    4 - I know you've said you've no interest in Kona, but let's say you're in the best shape of your life, and in contention for the Irish IM record and/or AG Win ability.
    Which race would you prefer to be lining up to....
    A - Challenge Roth
    B - Kona
    C - Other and why?

I never said no interest. Just not enough interest in Kona to sacrafice the money I could spend on my kids (bigger car etc) and half my annual holidays. If money was no object and I had no kids or lots of holidays then I would love to go to Kona.

5 - I recall from some old searches you were a sprightly runner, and I know you did some serious volume to get there too.
    Did you find your run ability transferred to the bike, or did you drop some bike to focus on run, or able to maintain your chosen volumes regardless when the hunger was there?

I find bike training transfers to running but not the other way around. That being said run training will get you lean more quickly than bike training and that in itself transfers.

The period in my life you are talking about I would run 160km a week, long run Thursdays was 65km. 43km in 3 hours before work to work via the park, run at lunch and then run home. I'd also swim 12km a week and two long bikes and two turbos, one easy one hard.

6 - Rate Breaking Bad out of 10 and House of Cards out of 10 so far?

8/10 and 7/10

Sons of Anarchy at a 9/10
    7 - If coaching could pay the bills, would you pack in the day job and set up a group?

Coaching the way I do it cannot pay the bills. To pay the bills you need volume and then that means not knowing your athletes and for me thats the fun - knowing them, learning about people, learning motivation techniques and what not. I have found it transfers to my day job as well. If you go volume wise then you don't *know* your athletes and you end up getting them doing something generic and pointless - like everyone running at 5 minute kms for their long run. I have 8 athletes on my books this year. I suspect 5 will bail for various reasons and I'll probably only replace one of them if I can
    8 - What's the biggest strength you've seen in one of your athletes?
    Consistency - do what they are told, how they are told, when they are told. That and suffering. People who will work so hard that they (a) cannot walk after (b) sh1t themselves.
    9 - What's the biggest weakness you've seen in one of your athletes?

Jealousy. I did have an awkward phase when one of my athletes was insanely jealous of another and that just created a hugely negative situation all round. Some people will be more gifted, some people will work harder, some people will make more sacrifices. Be the best you can and be happy in yourself

10 - 5 watts/kg FTP or 32min 10k run - which floats your boat (I see your 32min post but curious all the same).

Done the 5 watts/kg, not done the 32 10km so would have to be the run.
    11 - Technical turn away now question. Watts per CDA relative to Watts per KG for a typical rolling bike course.
    Being a lighter rider, and being a numbers addict I attempted to calculate the watts differential for a lighter rider relative to kg that could be yielded before losing ground on a typical course. Sure, typical what now but all the same.
    I make it somewhere close to 2-2.5 watts per kg of bodyweight based on finger in the air, bestbikesplit, history and other research.
    That is on an average course, a rider that is 10kg lighter can yield 20-25 watts max on the heavier rider before they will lose ground.
    This will likely mean a higher w/kg is required for the lighter rider to return those numbers if you take an average ftp of say 4 or 4.5 w/kg, then this would equate to 40 or 45 watts higher being pushed on flats if at 100% ftp etc.

Have you any insight or opinion on this?

Granted - one million variables but a generalisation if you will?

Assuming a flat/rolling course.
    Assuming optimised positions.
    Both riders will need to hold similar absolute wattages. So its a given then that the lighter rider needs to hold a higher watts per kilo.

The lighter rider needs to hold a higher wattage, or learn to handle their bike better, so much time to be made in corners.

12 - Are you a Brownlee or Gomez fan?

As a rule I don't trust Spanish athletes. Laws are too lax there.
    Regardless - Brownlee.

13 - Do you sit down and watch ITU races? Would/Do you sit down and watch 70.3/IM races? (guessing only if athletes are racing now?)

I find ITU racing boring, so no. Bar the last 2km of the run. Lets be honest its boring as fvck to watch.

IMs I would dip in and out of regardless of who is racing.
    14 - What car do you drive?

2008 Opel Astra Estate - estate got for the kids stuff and not the bikes.
    15 - Is the lego movie really worth seeing?? :eek::D:confused:

Yes, its brilliant.

That's me done everyone. Thanks for the lack of abuse. Also thanks for not asking the obvious difficult question. Appreciated.

Onto the next one!

Assuming a flat/rolling course.
    Assuming optimised positions.
    Both riders will need to hold similar absolute wattages. So its a given then that the lighter rider needs to hold a higher watts per kilo.

The lighter rider needs to hold a higher wattage, or learn to handle their bike better, so much time to be made in corners.

Firstly thanks for all the answers.

Secondly, I still can't get my head around why on a flat, assuming similar positions why a lighter rider would need to hold the same watts as the heavier rider in order to match pace.

I understand ultimate power counts on the flat, but would see it logical that the lighter rider would need slightly less power due to powering a lighter car.

Similar to a car for example, on a flat road, 0-60, it's BHP AND Weight that counts (and torque but that's another story).

Now I do see it that the lighter rider would need to be pushing an effective higher watts per kg to make up for the lower wattage, but ultimately believe that the watts would not need to be at the same ultimate value.

To put it another way, if I'm pushing 300 watts on the flat, and a 75kg athlete is pushing 300 watts on the flat, I'm surely going to be faster as I'm powering 10+kg less load...?

Granted, weight is not as important on the flat, but it is still a value that counts.

No?

We need 2 riders of differing weights, with the same power meter of same calibration in order to test this.
    The power meter is the big variable unfortunately so hard to prove...

• Advertisement

Firstly thanks for all the answers.

Secondly, I still can't get my head around why on a flat, assuming similar positions why a lighter rider would need to hold the same watts as the heavier rider in order to match pace.

There are a number of forces that need to be overcome to maintain forward momentum. Resistance from the road (Crr), wind resistance (Cda), mechanical resistance and gravity.

Crr and mechanical resistance we can assume are equal. Leaves Cda and gravity. Cda for a larger rider will be slightly higher. Gravity on the flat makes neglible impact.
    I understand ultimate power counts on the flat, but would see it logical that the lighter rider would need slightly less power due to powering a lighter car.

Similar to a car for example, on a flat road, 0-60, it's BHP AND Weight that counts (and torque but that's another story).

and the impact of weight once moving at a given speed?

Now I do see it that the lighter rider would need to be pushing an effective higher watts per kg to make up for the lower wattage, but ultimately believe that the watts would not need to be at the same ultimate value.

Lots of people believe in Jebus too
    To put it another way, if I'm pushing 300 watts on the flat, and a 75kg athlete is pushing 300 watts on the flat, I'm surely going to be faster as I'm powering 10+kg less load...?

Nope. You might get moving quicker but ultimately setting at a very very similar speed.

Granted, weight is not as important on the flat, but it is still a value that counts.

No?

NO :)

We need 2 riders of differing weights, with the same power meter of same calibration in order to test this.
    The power meter is the big variable unfortunately so hard to prove...

A power meter is not hard to prove. You just need one that can be calibrated in a repeatable verifiable fashion. Or two calibrated by the same person with the same setup. I have 50kg of weights whose weight has been determined as accurately as possible using extremely precise scales. My power meter is calibrated and accurate :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Resistance from the road (Crr), wind resistance (Cda), mechanical resistance and gravity.

Crr and mechanical resistance we can assume are equal.

Why doesn't Crr increase with weight - more downward force on the road creating more resistance?

The results do not stack up to what you say.

Perhaps another thread is best for this...

Will do up a proper thread with some minor reference points and see if we can hash this out to understand it better.

The results do not stack up to what you say.

What results?
    Perhaps another thread is best for this...

Will do up a proper thread with some minor reference points and see if we can hash this out to understand it better.

If you want!

Advertisement