Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giving up a council house

Options
  • 25-02-2014 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi I was just hoping for some advice, Im in a council house just over 2 years. As soon as we moved in we had damp/mold problems and after a few months an assessor came out and said we would need vents installed and they'd get on it soon (still waiting). A few months later my hubby was awarded disability allowance and so we applied for a mobility grant as the house isnt suited (didnt realise how much until we lived here). An OT came out suggested a lot of changes and that we transfer on medical grounds. That was a year ago and still no changes or transfer, Im fine with waiting but the mold has gotten so much worse. Its in every single room. The kitchen, bedrooms, bathroom are all destroyed in black mold, fuzzy mold, the paint is running off the walls and in Nov while getting the Xmas stuff we discovered a leak in the attic which has the mold creeping across our bedroom ceilings as well as walls.
    So, Ive rang loads, gotten Doc letters and local tds and still, the mold situation hasnt even merrited someone coming to see it. I have a 4yr old with a cough since October and is on an inhaler now to cope and a 6 month old with a rerecurring cough/croup/congestion.
    I know myself the mold/damp isnt helping and is possibly causing all of this, so for our health I feel we need to move soon, waiting on a transfer could take years but my husband is disabled and I take care of him and the two kids so there is no way I could rent on my own with assistance.
    Have any of u been in this situation before? Or got any advice for me. I feel so grateful to have a roof over my families head but its no longer a healthy environment. And before its asked, I wash the walls with a mix of bleach, mold killer etc which is all quite strong but the fumes are too much to wash them frequently.
    Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 want2move

Shalamar wrote: »
    Hi I was just hoping for some advice, Im in a council house just over 2 years. As soon as we moved in we had damp/mold problems and after a few months an assessor came out and said we would need vents installed and they'd get on it soon (still waiting). A few months later my hubby was awarded disability allowance and so we applied for a iiiimobility grant as the house isnt suited (didnt realise how much until we lived here). An OT came out suggested a lot of changes and that we transfer on medical grounds. That was a year ago and still no changes or transfer, Im fine with waiting but the mold has gotten so much worse. Its in every single room. The kitchen, bedrooms, bathroom are all destroyed in black mold, fuzzy mold, the paint is running off the walls and in Nov while getting the Xmas stuff we discovered a leak in the attic which has the mold creeping across our bedroom ceilings as well as walls.
    So, Ive rang loads, gotten Doc letters and local tds and still, the mold situation hasnt even merrited someone coming to see it. I have a 4yr old with a cough since October and is on an inhaler now to cope and a 6 month old with a rerecurring cough/croup/congestihouses wereknow myself the mold/damp isnt helping and is possibly causing all of this, so for our health I feel we need to move soon, waiting on a transfer could take years but my husband is disabled and I take care of him and the two kids so there is no way I could rent on my own with assistance.
    Have any of u been in this situation before? Or got any advice for me. I feel so grateful to have a roof over my families head but its no longer a healthy environment. And before its asked, I wash the walls with a mix of bleach, mold killer etc which is all quite strong but the fumes are too much to wash them frequently.
    Thanks in advance!

Hi there, I'm actually sickened to learn you are going through thid, I also livebin council house 3 yrs this June I've a 5 yr old who suffers non stop croupe a 4 yr old who has a cough for as long as I can remember. And a 17mnth old with a runny nose that's lik a tap, the seals are all gone in our Windows there is mould all over them along with most of walls in house. There's leaks in our attic, the council told us it was Neely renovated wen we moved in one cupboard hung in kitchen and no heating besides a fire with no back boiler, we were left a yr freezing bringing our duvet from room to room, then I had my youngest she suffered chest infections at 2 mnths old and the council thought it was fine, we have water treatment out our back that's caused rats to enter our house n my oldest daughter had one in her bed she barely sleeps now :( we have begged pleaded doctors letters school letters tds counsellors with held rentoccupational therapy as my son has sensory issues and lastly I went to paper recently it's done nothing! We desperately want to move to for the sake of our children but as long as council r getting money from us the cudnt give a rat's arse, there going hone to cosy housed with heating that works at night n don't give second thoughts to us!
    I know this doesn't give any hope but know your not alone. If you like you can pm me to chat
    Hope you get the help you need

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement