Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deals Website

Options
  • 25-02-2014 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭

hey guys, have an idea with a difference for a deals website, if this isnt the best forum, could a mod please move it? Basically what kind of money ball park and how long roughly would it take to create one of these? I mean just the website, content management system or whatever the backend is called with these and email management etc?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Buttercake

You can put together a deals site within 1-day using Wordpress, Joomla or an Open Source script http://bit.ly/1ljMwLy. Everything you need to get up and running, Thats the easy part!

All you need then is customers and visitors!, thats where the big bucks come in for advertising and exposure. its how much will your budget will stretch to.

I'd love to see something different when it comes to deals sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭ImDave

I would say that unless you have something incredibly different to offer that somehow nobody else has thought of yet, you are about three years too late.

Deals websites closing down left, right and centre as a result of decreased consumer interest, in addition to the days of being able to negotiate 50% sales take on deals with retailers being very far gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

thanks for the replies guys, I am pretty sceptical on deals sites in general and would share your concerns. I am working full time and could take some time out to work on another project, I wouldnt be jacking in a job or putting myself under financial pressure. Have been procrastinating on it for so long at this stage. It coming to the stage where I want to do something about it or just forget about the idea....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭ImDave

Idbatterim wrote: »
    thanks for the replies guys, I am pretty sceptical on deals sites in general and would share your concerns. I am working full time and could take some time out to work on another project, I wouldnt be jacking in a job or putting myself under financial pressure. Have been procrastinating on it for so long at this stage. It coming to the stage where I want to do something about it or just forget about the idea....

I honestly wouldn't put the time into it in that case. If I were you, I'd think your time would be better served trying to find something more innovative or exciting if thinking of a part-time or sideline business based online. Easier said than done of course, but you never know.

As Buttercake said, the tech side of things is very straightforward, but the amount of time and resource you would need to put into lead generation, growing a database etc., just not worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

As Buttercake said, the tech side of things is very straightforward, but the amount of time and resource you would need to put into lead generation, growing a database etc., just not worth it.
    See I agree with you, that I would imagine the tech bit is straightforward enough, but the lead generation and database, is something I and my partner would a massive "leg up" on already...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

If you are looking to get a price for such a site then please post here

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055802922

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

These deal site threads pop up every couple of months and the response is always the same. They've been done to death and they are now dominated by a few large sites and without a serious advertising budget you are unlikely to make inroads into that.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Even with a serious amount of marketing support it would be a struggle.

You don't have to look too far to find a company with hundreds of thousand of web-savvy Irish members that pulled out of the daily deals market.

Advertisement