Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

10% Deposit on House Purchase - payable to who?

Options
  • 25-02-2014 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭

This is a silly question, and may have Been answered here already.

When paying the 10% deposit over when buying a house, who should the cheque be made payable to? I'd imagine it's the vendor's solicitor, but am open to correction

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

When I bought the cheque was made payable to the development company and handed over to the estate agent when we went sale agreed.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,934 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

We bought second hand, so was the vendor's solicitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

Booking deposit payable to estate agent. Balance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

Booking deposit payable to estate agent. Balance of 10% less booking deposit payable to vendors solicitor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Booking deposit is usually 1 to 2%. This is payable to estate agent if there is one.
    (It is their fee)

The rest of the deposit goes to vendors solicitor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

Booking deposit payable to estate agent. Balance of 10% less booking deposit payable to vendors solicitor.

This

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Many thanks to all the replies guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭caew

The estate agent will say you make it payable to them.

However, you can give it your solicitor to hold in trust who will then pass it onto the vendors solicitor or you give it direct to the vendors solicitor.

I prefer to pass it to the solicitor as if an estate agent goes under you have lost your money. If a solicitor goes under they are covered by the law society and you will get your money back.

When I paid my deposit recently the estate agent was not one bit happy but there was nothing they could do. Yes, they usually take their fee from the deposit but it is up to the vendor to ensure they are paid, not the buyer. Therefore the buyer does not have to pay them the deposit to cover their fees.

Advertisement