Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Law and French

Options
  • 25-02-2014 10:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hey guys,

I've been thinking about college courses a lot recently and I initially had decided on studying law in Trinity.

However, I am now thinking of doing law and french instead, as I heard there would be more job opportunities from doing this course (and I really like french too!) :)

If anyone has studied this course, what do you think of it? Are there good job opportunities in Ireland and abroad?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭robman60

Hi,

I'm in a similar position to you. I was strongly considering putting down this course but I reconsidered when I actually looked into the course details. Much of the course content is actually based on French Law and culture/history, not all language as you may have anticipated. You're probably aware of this already I just wanted to make it explicit!

I'm leaning more towards Law and Business now so I'd also be glad to hear any current students' opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭234

Lauriangel wrote: »
    Hey guys,

I've been thinking about college courses a lot recently and I initially had decided on studying law in Trinity.

However, I am now thinking of doing law and french instead, as I heard there would be more job opportunities from doing this course (and I really like french too!) :)

If anyone has studied this course, what do you think of it? Are there good job opportunities in Ireland and abroad?

Thanks!

Most of Europe has a very different legal system to that of Ireland and the rest of the ex-British colonies. So you would have to go back to basics if you wanted to qualify as a avocat or notaire in France after your degree.

However, if you wanted a job in the EU or other international organisations then French would be a definite advantage (though I think EU posts require three languages).

Within Ireland, I don't think that it has any advantages or disadvantages compares with the pure law degree.

Advertisement