Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A Coffee for Beginners

• 25-02-2014 10:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭

Since buying a Moka pot and making real coffee at home Ive more or only used the standard Illly espresso. Is this a decent coffee?

Also can anyone recommend a very good coffee or one or two I can use for a reference point?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Jezek

You should aim to use coffee that has been freshly roasted (and Ideally freshly ground). This is never gonna be from a supermarket .

If you live in Dublin, Karl in Coffee Angel will sell you some excellent coffee ( as well as a grinder if you're interested). Vice (in the Twisted Pepper), Kaph, Joe coffee, 3FE (they roast their own), Roasted Brown, all have freshly roasted coffee.

If you prefer to order online, try coffeemojo.ie, the coffee is excellent.

As far as specific coffees, maybe ask at the shop or if online read the description and go by which one appeals more. If in a shop you can say you are using a moka pot and this might help them reccommend you a coffee. Generally cocoa, caramel, nut and spice notes are nice in the moka pot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 949 ✭✭✭M.J.M.C

I use this in my moka pot and love it, about 5 euro for a bag

251612_lavazza_rossa_blended_coffee-500x500.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 217 ✭✭James_R

Start by reading this and do try and avoid buying anything that's already ground or beans that have a roasted date older than one month:

http://jlaine.net/2012/01/16/introduction-to-great-coffee/

This is also a great tutorial on how to use the moka pot

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRdCic2f7PI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 221 ✭✭simonsays1

If you live in Dublin, Karl in Coffee Angel will sell you some excellent coffee ( as well as a grinder if you're interested).

Hi there, is this a hand grinder you're talking about by any chance?

Lately, I've been doing research on-line but the amount of options is simply daunting.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Sorry to hog your post OP

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

simonsays1 wrote: »
    If you live in Dublin, Karl in Coffee Angel will sell you some excellent coffee ( as well as a grinder if you're interested).

Hi there, is this a hand grinder you're talking about by any chance?

Lately, I've been doing research on-line but the amount of options is simply daunting.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Sorry to hog your post OP

Hand grinder? Look at Porlex or Hario, they're the two most commonly recommended brands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 221 ✭✭simonsays1

Thanking you!

Or if you can stretch your budget:

http://www.madebyknock.com/handgrind-grinders.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

James_R wrote: »

Cheers, was on mobile and knew their was another new manufacturer that Donnacha had mentioned in the past.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

That's some sexy beast alright!

• Advertisement

Yeah if you go into coffee angel, they'll gladly grind the beans there on the spot for you also

M.J.M.C wrote: »
    Yeah if you go into coffee angel, they'll gladly grind the beans there on the spot for you also

And they'll be as good as past their sell by date in how many minutes?;)

And they'll be as good as past their sell by date in how many minutes?;)

3/4 ??
    3 or 4 minutes is enough time to get home and brew a coffee right? :)

Seriously though, surely this is worth doing before investing in a grinder so you can taste the difference between this and shop bought ground coffee no? This is my thinking...genuine question

3/4 ??

Seriously though, surely this is worth doing before investing in a grinder so you can taste the difference between this and shop bought ground coffee no? This is my thinking...genuine question

There will still be a massive difference! So yes, definitely worth it to convince someone that better coffee is better.

3/4 ??

Oh yeah, get a taste for the good stuff, get hooked, start buying equipment!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭changepartners

Oh yeah, get a taste for the good stuff, get hooked, start buying equipment!

A trip to town is on the cards for next week so!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭SamAK

I personally find illy a delicious coffee, if a little expensive!

I've shopped around, bought loads of different blends from different world regions and have noticed that they all have different characteristics. Like those Lavazza Italian espresso blends, they can be very dark and a bit too 'heavy' for me....

Basically, i've found that the definition of 'fine coffee' can be subjective. Like wine connoisseurs really..it's all a matter of personal experience.

I've developed a love for Ethiopian Sidamo, and a lot of South American coffee really float my boat. I had a Colombian 'Musicas' recently that was stunning. Not too light, not too dark....with elements of chocolate and as smooth as velvet. Lip-smacking good.

Stuff that you'll get in Tesco can be ok, like the standard Bewleys range. Good all rounder but nothing amazing. It's mass produced and can be a good few weeks old by the time it gets into your mocha pot.

I've recently started ordering from Davenport coffee in Galway. They're a 'small batch' coffee roaster and I found their Double roasted Ethiopian Barnyard Boogie to be bloody gorgeous. http://davenportcoffee.com/products/

Of course, buying in bean form is essential really. I've only recently got myself a grinder and have definitely noticed the difference. Fresher, fuller flavour. Takes a bit longer in the morning but in my view worth the wait!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭changepartners

How long do fresh beans keep?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

How long do fresh beans keep?
    20120116-bhwhs1gjq9rne95248nbcxcnj3.preview.jpg

SamAK wrote: »
    I personally find illy a delicious coffee, if a little expensive!

I've shopped around, bought loads of different blends from different world regions and have noticed that they all have different characteristics. Like those Lavazza Italian espresso blends, they can be very dark and a bit too 'heavy' for me....

Basically, i've found that the definition of 'fine coffee' can be subjective. Like wine connoisseurs really..it's all a matter of personal experience.

I've developed a love for Ethiopian Sidamo, and a lot of South American coffee really float my boat. I had a Colombian 'Musicas' recently that was stunning. Not too light, not too dark....with elements of chocolate and as smooth as velvet. Lip-smacking good.

Stuff that you'll get in Tesco can be ok, like the standard Bewleys range. Good all rounder but nothing amazing. It's mass produced and can be a good few weeks old by the time it gets into your mocha pot.

I've recently started ordering from Davenport coffee in Galway. They're a 'small batch' coffee roaster and I found their Double roasted Ethiopian Barnyard Boogie to be bloody gorgeous. http://davenportcoffee.com/products/

Of course, buying in bean form is essential really. I've only recently got myself a grinder and have definitely noticed the difference. Fresher, fuller flavour. Takes a bit longer in the morning but in my view worth the wait!

Double Roasting! A very interesting concept. How do you find it affects the brew? Would it not make it more difficult to extract evenly?

• Advertisement
Advertisement