Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't get no car insurance quote...why?

Options
  • 25-02-2014 11:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hi all,
    For the second time in my life I have moved to Ireland to live and work.
    This time I want to have a car, so I was thinking of getting one later this year.
    I have been looking around on the internet to get car insurance quotes but with the insurers I have tried so far (around 5, among them Axa and Aviva) I always get the message that I "fall outside the criteria" and therefore I cannot be given a quote.
    So I basically use these criteria:
    -Full EU licence (Dutch)
    -Licence had for 6 years
    -No penalty points
    -No convictions
    -Been in Ireland less than 1 year
    -No registered driving history in Ireland
    -Tenant
    -Employed
    -IT Professional
    -Living in Swords, Co. Dublin
    -Age 34
    -Car is Citroen Xsara Picasso 2.0 HDI Diesel 2005 (just for the example I use this car config)
    -Car worth 3000 euro (again, example)
    -Will drive less than 15,000 kms per year

So why do I fall outside the criteria?
    I do have experience driving on the wrong left hand side of the road, both in LHD and RHD cars, as I have been driving around in the UK many times. ;)

So anyone have any idea which insurer I can try?

Would The AA be more lenient, especially if I would become a member?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

why not pick u the phone and call the insurers instead of just tyring online. Perhaps they can deal with your query on the phone in a way their online system cannot.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

What was said above. Phone companies, and check out insurance brokers also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

The one thing that sticks out for me is that you have lived in Ireland for less than a year. Insurers may be cautious that you don't intend a long term residency here. The problem, as they see it, is that you might have returned home when they would need you around to defend a possible claim.

Everything else looks fine to me. Contact a good broker to do the work for you

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Matthijs

Thanks so far.
    I was also thinking about this: would it not be possible to swap my Dutch licence and get an Irish licence?
    That would make things easier maybe.
    What government agency issues driving licences in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭mistress_gi

I would recommend Axa or Allianz. I started with the first and am now with the second, maybe try a broker as well, like first ireland or equivalent. Be prepared to fork out ridiculous amounts of money on the first year!

• Advertisement

Matthijs wrote: »
    Thanks so far.
    I was also thinking about this: would it not be possible to swap my Dutch licence and get an Irish licence?
    That would make things easier maybe.
    What government agency issues driving licences in Ireland?

No, it wouldn't be the licence, given that it is EU. I wouldn't change it if I was you

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Phars

25 years ago I had to change my Dutch licenence for an Irish, but as far as I know with the newer European licence you shouldn't have to. Probably D3PO has the best idea, pick up the phone

So the Irish insurers won't make me pay more because of the EU licence?
    I figured maybe they think that because I am used to right hand driving I will be more likely to get involved in traffic accidents in Ireland, to the extent that they won't even insure me. But then again that would be ridiculous; everyone should at least be able to start from scratch and build a hopefully clean driving history.
    But yeah I will call some insurance companies and some brokers as well.

So the Irish insurers won't make me pay more because of the EU licence?
    I figured maybe they think that because I am used to right hand driving I will be more likely to get involved in traffic accidents in Ireland, to the extent that they won't even insure me. But then again that would be ridiculous; everyone should at least be able to start from scratch and build a hopefully clean driving history.
    But yeah I will call some insurance companies and some brokers as well.

This is related to the problem of you being in Ireland for less than a year, inexperience with driving on the left

I would recommend Axa or Allianz. I started with the first and am now with the second, maybe try a broker as well, like first ireland or equivalent. Be prepared to fork out ridiculous amounts of money on the first year!

So after I have made it through the first year without accidents or problems, the premium will get lower?

• Advertisement

No but you pay more because you don't have a no claims bonus build up. So you will start off fairly high. As far as I know your inexperience regarding left side driving shouldn't be a problem. Any chance you can get a letter from you last Dutch insurance showing your no claims bonus?, it might help

oldyouth wrote: »
    This is related to the problem of you being in Ireland for less than a year, inexperience with driving on the left

Yeah, but it's a bit of a vicious circle right.
    No insurance -> no car -> no experience with driving on the left -> no record -> no insurance.

Phars wrote: »
    No but you pay more because you don't have a no claims bonus build up. So you will start off fairly high. As far as I know your inexperience regarding left side driving shouldn't be a problem. Any chance you can get a letter from you last Dutch insurance showing your no claims bonus?, it might help

I might try and do this yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I do have experience driving on the wrong left hand side of the road, both in LHD and RHD cars, as I have been driving around in the UK many times. ;)
    Worked with a lad from Poland. He got insurance easy enough (would've been 2 or 3 years ago). Perhaps you have picked a particular boy racer disliked car?

Look for the Irish equal of your old Dutch insurer? You may get cheap insurance that way? Maybe ring home, and ask the old insurer?

the_syco wrote: »
    Worked with a lad from Poland. He got insurance easy enough (would've been 2 or 3 years ago). Perhaps you have picked a particular boy racer disliked car?

Look for the Irish equal of your old Dutch insurer? You may get cheap insurance that way? Maybe ring home, and ask the old insurer?

LOL. The boy racer thing still seems kinda popular here in Ireland, looking at all these (maybe imported?) Subaru's I see every day.
    The only boy racers that were ever big in Holland were the Honda CRX'es. But those disappeared there in the early 2000's.
    Nah, I like Citroens. Not exactly racers.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭hognef

You'll get insurance alright, but with an EU license you're likely to forever pay a higher premium than somebody with an Irish or UK license. At least that is still my experience, nearly a decade after moving to Ireland.

Strangely, I've even come across insurance companies offering lower premiums to UK license holders than to Irish ones (yes, for Ireland).

But why can I not get an Irish full licence then? Or can I?
    If you move to Spain for example, you can get, no, must obtain a Spanish driving licence after 6 months of residency if I am not wrong.

Ok, just found this on RSA.ie:

If your stay in Ireland will be more than 12 months you can apply for an Irish driving licence but you will need to go through the full driver licensing procedure. You must first pass a driver theory test, apply for a learner permit, complete a course of Essential Driver Training(EDT) and pass your driving test in Ireland. If you pass your driving test, you can then apply for a full Irish driving licence.

I think that is for when you have No licence, you should be ok lol. I just went to licence offive, they took my Dutch one and gave me back an Irish licence

Phars wrote: »
    I think that is for when you have No licence, you should be ok lol. I just went to licence offive, they took my Dutch one and gave me back an Irish licence

Are you serious?
    This was recently?

• Advertisement

No it was 25 years ago but a EU licence counts as having a full licence. I know American licences don't count, as a friend of my had to do the whole thing again. You shouldn't have a problem. Maybe google something like eu licence in Ireland, or if you find out where your local licence office is, just walk in and ask

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Mr Keek

Matthijs, you're licence has nothing to do with the reason you are not getting quotes, it's Full EU, and therefore perfectly valid for insurance and driving in this country. You can change your licence to an Irish, but there is really no need, you are not obliged to.

It's a clean licence too, no issues with driving offenses. So forget the doubts about your Drivers Licence, it's not an issue.

Going from experience, its your lack of Insurance History and the engine size of the car that's causing you problems; Zero 'No Claims Bonus' (NCB), and you want a quote on a 2000cc car....Many companies will not quote cars greater than 1400cc unless you have a few years NCB for example.

Also, as you have 'No Previous Insurance' in Ireland, the majority of websites will block the quote by default; it's a default security measure for many insurance companies, No Previous Insurance is deemed higher risk hence they want you to call them so they can properly assess that risk; you really do need to call them. They are willing to quote, just not online.

Were you insured back home in the Netherlands? You can use this experience as NCB over here, written evidence of same from your insurer translated in English would be required.

Thanks Mr Keek.
    This makes things more clear.

But 2000 cc....what is it? Is this considered big in Ireland??
    Come on....
    And I am talking about a diesel...still not exactly a fast car...or a risk.
    What is it with the small engine fetish in this country?
    A 34-year-old from abroad who wants to drive a 2 litre diesel...wow that's dangerous alright. That requires some responsibility.

I even consider getting a Dutch car with Dutch insurance instead and just driving it here.

Just a little pissed off now.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭hognef

Just get a few more online quotes from the same company, but vary your answers to the questions about length of residency, prior insurance, no claims discount and engine size, and you'll be easily able to figure out which parameter is causing them not to quote. That's if you're interested enough. Otherwise speak to a broker, and you won't have a problem getting insurance.

My guess is, at your age, they won't have any issue with the engine size.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Mr Keek

Thanks Mr Keek.
    This makes things more clear.

But 2000 cc....what is it? Is this considered big in Ireland??
    Come on....
    And I am talking about a diesel...still not exactly a fast car...or a risk.
    What is it with the small engine fetish in this country?
    A 34-year-old from abroad who wants to drive a 2 litre diesel...wow that's dangerous alright. That requires some responsibility.

I even consider getting a Dutch car with Dutch insurance instead and just driving it here.

Just a little pissed off now.

No 'NCB', or Named Driving Experience 'NDE' implies that you are a relatively new/inexperienced driver (I know you're not, but you need to prove that to an insurance company).....based on that assumption, 2000cc is considered big.

Dutch car, insured in Ireland with an Irish insurer is no problem, but be prepared to pay about 15% extra(approx) for a Right Hand Drive Loading.

Dutch Car, with Dutch Insurance being driven in Ireland would only be valid for 30days automatically, and for a maximum of 3 months if you notify your Dutch insurer. After that, your cover would cease! You are a permenant resident in Ireland now though, so more than likely the Dutch underwriters wouldn't even give that cover. That cover is reserved for Visitor and tourists bringing their car with them.

I have located a number of brokers in Swords and I will contact them. I will post the results here.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭on_my_oe

Axa are more flexible towards foreign licences, and yes, it will be easier if you swap your licence.

I hold four licences, and I notice there was a quote difference between the UK and Irish quotes, and again the quotes were still higher on the other licences.

That's with 20 years driving experience, no claims or points and female (back when they could 'base their risk').

• Registered Users Posts: 25,437 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

on_my_oe wrote: »
    Axa are more flexible towards foreign licences, and yes, it will be easier if you swap your licence.

I hold four licences, and I notice there was a quote difference between the UK and Irish quotes, and again the quotes were still higher on the other licences.

That's with 20 years driving experience, no claims or points and female (back when they could 'base their risk').

As another poster has stated, it's nothing to do with the licence, it's the lack of driving/insurance history.

What nobody has mentioned is that the OP is categorised as a migrant worker and they are considered a seriously bad risk. There have been other threads on the subject where Irish drivers moving to the UK get stuffed with mega quotes for insurance.

How do I lose the "migrant worker" status?
    It sounds derogatory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,437 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

How do I lose the "migrant worker" status?
    It sounds derogatory.

I appreciate that you don't like the 'migrant worker' tag but it's a literal fact - that's what you are.

You work in IT (which makes you very mobile), you're in your 30s, you don't have an Irish driving licence, you've been here less than a year, you live in rented accommodation, you're trying to insure a 9 year old 2 litre car.........

Sorry but most insurers would consider you a seriously bad risk. In the worst case scenario, you could have walked away from multiple convictions and/or disqualifications in other countries and that's probably what they're worried about.

Advertisement