Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't get no car insurance quote...why?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

None of my foreign friends have ever been refused quotes so keep trying.
    Foreign licence doesn't have as much bearing as no NCB. Once you have 4, 5, 6 years NCB you'll get quotes like 500 euro. Until then it'll be expensive.
    Don't use online quotes, ring brokers and companies straight away.
    Do Avaiva Ignition course.
    Don't have a 2L car.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Matthijs

coylemj wrote: »
    you live in rented accommodation, you're trying to insure a 9 year old 2 litre car.........
    There is nothing wrong with these 2 things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Matthijs wrote: »
    There is nothing wrong with these 2 things.

Not on their own Mattijs, but when added to others aspects of your insurance profile, they don't help. As you have found out, there are illogical criteria when you try to find a reasonable insurance premium in Ireland. Get a good broker to sift through the red tape, contacting insurers directly or online only usually works for standard risks

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Rado77

Hi all,
    For the second time in my life I have moved to Ireland to live and work.
    This time I want to have a car, so I was thinking of getting one later this year.
    I have been looking around on the internet to get car insurance quotes but with the insurers I have tried so far (around 5, among them Axa and Aviva) I always get the message that I "fall outside the criteria" and therefore I cannot be given a quote.
    So I basically use these criteria:
    -Full EU licence (Dutch)
    -Licence had for 6 years
    -No penalty points
    -No convictions
    -Been in Ireland less than 1 year
    -No registered driving history in Ireland
    -Tenant
    -Employed
    -IT Professional
    -Living in Swords, Co. Dublin
    -Age 34
    -Car is Citroen Xsara Picasso 2.0 HDI Diesel 2005 (just for the example I use this car config)
    -Car worth 3000 euro (again, example)
    -Will drive less than 15,000 kms per year

So why do I fall outside the criteria?
    I do have experience driving on the wrong left hand side of the road, both in LHD and RHD cars, as I have been driving around in the UK many times. ;)

So anyone have any idea which insurer I can try?

Would The AA be more lenient, especially if I would become a member?

Thanks in advance.

Hi, try http://www.quoteme.ie/
    I got my insurance from that website, with 0-years no claim bonus. I am 36. I managed to insure 170BHP Japanese Import car. The insurer name is XS Direct, so you can try http://www.xsdirect.ie/ as well. I have spent hours trying to find the right insurer, as all of them did not want to do that.
    Best of luck.

Thanks for the links.
    And how much do you pay if I may ask?

• Advertisement

Lowest I get is 1,433 euro per year.
    Still way too much.

It's so off-putting that I almost start to think this country and its businesses don't want my money.
    Because there is no way I am gonna pay more than like 700-800 per year for a Xsara Picasso in Ireland.

I can insure that car in Holland for 30 per month.
    I can insure a 4.0 litre Jaguar for like 60 per month there.

The risk calculation algorithm of Irish insurance companies is based on nonsense and bigotry.
    Just because you are new to the country and a foreigner automatically means you can't drive (well).
    I want a reasonable price, especially since I am better driver than most Irish drivers, who generally have no patience or discipline in traffic and have elevated speeding to a national pastime.

I presume OP that you are here because you are getting paid more for your talents than you would in other countries. Unfortunately, you have to accept our cost of living that goes with that

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Ok, just found this on RSA.ie:

If your stay in Ireland will be more than 12 months you can apply for an Irish driving licence but you will need to go through the full driver licensing procedure. You must first pass a driver theory test, apply for a learner permit, complete a course of Essential Driver Training(EDT) and pass your driving test in Ireland. If you pass your driving test, you can then apply for a full Irish driving licence.

That's completely incorrect; EU and community licences are fully exchangeable.It's simply a matter of filling in the paperwork and exchanging your EU licence for an Irish one. If you have a non-EU licence like for example a US, Korean, Saudi, Indian, Nigerian, Chinese etc etc you will need to pass the driving theory and practical test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Joan Burtons Sexy Knickers

Korean licences are fully exchangeable here.

They do the same to Irish people who leave here for a few years. Same thing happened to me when I returned here, no quotes or outrageous quotes. Seeing as I don't drive very much I just get a loan of a car whenever I needs it and uses the owners insurance. A much cheaper solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Rado77

Thanks for the links.
    And how much do you pay if I may ask?

I pay E80 a month, so it is around a thousand a year.
    You have to start from a scratch, if you want to stay in Ireland for a while.
    Tighten the belt, start save some money and go for that.
    I know it sounds a lot, but this is what it is. After a year you will get 1 year no claim bonus, and then you will have a better choice to find a cheaper insurance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭happypants

My boyfriend had the same trouble, he's just moved home from The Netherlands, he's Irish but lived over there for 4 years. Previous to this he lived in Ireland and drove a car insured for 4+ years but apparently this counts for nothing. He got ridiculous quotes or none at all. A lot of companies refused to even quote, like you said it's like they don't want the money! One quote he got was for €1,900! He's 29 years of age so hardly a boy racer.

In the end he got insured with Britton insurance for €1,100 for a
    1.4 ltr Toyota corolla.

Moral of his story is if you're leaving the country don't cancel insurance just freeze it otherwise you're starting from scratch.

Also be prepared to pay through the nose.

happypants wrote: »
    Moral of his story is if you're leaving the country don't cancel insurance just freeze it otherwise you're starting from scratch.

Also be prepared to pay through the nose.

You can't 'freeze' a policy beyond the subsequent renewal date. If you renew a policy without advising your insurers that you are now resident abroad, that will bring it's own problems

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭finnteme

Im finnish citizen, and never had problems getting insurance quotes.
    Now on my 2nd claim free year, and just renewed, and paying 50 eur p month / 600 eur per year.
    My first insurance was around 1500 p/year.
    I have a full EU license, and my cars has been 1.4 l or smaller.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

This post has been deleted.
    It is an offence to obtain a motor insurance policy by deception. Sure go ahead if that's what you want to do

• Registered Users Posts: 22 jonnyphant

Did the OP get his insurance quoted yet?
    I have a Paraguay licence so am struggling to find an insurer that will take me on also.

Advertisement