Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Selling a bike - but it has a fault

• 25-02-2014 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭

Just wanted opinions from you guys if that's OK?

Himself is looking to sell his Honda 929 Fireblade (yr 2000). Problem is it has an electrics fault (it is believed to be a faulty electronic ignition).

He hasn't the time to attempt a repair himself and cannot afford to take it to a bike mechanic. Apart from this electrics problem, bike is in great nick (has been his pride and joy) and he's kept it well looked after.

He was thinking of putting it up on Adverts but doesn't know what kind of realistic price he should ask, bearing in mind the above problem.

Anyone have any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭blu3r0ri0n

bijou wrote: »
    Just wanted opinions from you guys if that's OK?

Himself is looking to sell his Honda 929 Fireblade (yr 2000). Problem is it has an electrics fault (it is believed to be a faulty electronic ignition).

He hasn't the time to attempt a repair himself and cannot afford to take it to a bike mechanic. Apart from this electrics problem, bike is in great nick (has been his pride and joy) and he's kept it well looked after.

He was thinking of putting it up on Adverts but doesn't know what kind of realistic price he should ask, bearing in mind the above problem.

Anyone have any ideas?

I would look at prices of similar bikes, get a quote to get it fixed and deduct the cost of repair from asking price stating that's what the repair quote was. It might be a lot easier to have it repaired then sell it though...good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Sell it for the same price as a similar year and tell the buyer at the meet, then work out a cost there and then.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭blu3r0ri0n

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Sell it for the same price as a similar year and tell the buyer at the meet, then work out a cost there and then.....

If I was a buyer and I travelled to see the bike that would pi$$ me right off and make me wonder what else is wrong, I'd more than likely walk away. Its hard enough to sell a bike this time of the year. Better off being honest.

blu3r0ri0n wrote: »
    If I was a buyer and I travelled to see the bike that would pi$$ me right off and make me wonder what else is wrong, I'd more than likely walk away. Its hard enough to sell a bike this time of the year. Better off being honest.

Usually people ring ahead and ask about the bike especially if travelling a long distance....I did not mean keep it a secret and spring it on them. What I meant was haggle when the lad is there looking at it. From what I read of the post they know the problem so easy to price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

He will probably be better off financially to get it fixed first.

If I was buying a bike which needed to be repaired I would want a discound of the repair costs and a bit more for the hassle and possibility of it costing more to repair than estimated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

ditto - I wouldnt be buying a known broken bike, unless is was considerably cheaper then an equivalent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Especially one with electrical problems. Mechanical things can be identified more easily. Electrics you could fix one to find another problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭corkonion

If I was buying any big ticket item I would not consider purchasing a faulty one. The pessimist side of me would make me suspicious that the fault was something that the current owner found impossible to rectify.
    Get the bike fixed, then sell it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

if its a problem with the HISS, it could be alot of monies to resolve. And because you cant start it, you cant rule out mechanical problems aswell (from a sellers point of view)

/edit, for a valuation, you could give cityspares a shout, and see if that could put a figure on it

In fairness an awful lot of lads on here are very handy with a spanner, if I could get a hefty discount because a set of fork seals need to be done or fix a reg/rec and do a service happy days...... I would gladly take the bike if all else was good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    In fairness an awful lot of lads on here are very handy with a spanner, if I could get a hefty discount because a set of fork seals need to be done or fix a reg/rec and do a service happy days...... I would gladly take the bike if all else was good.

True but you don't really know if everything else is ok until you fix the ignition.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭bijou

Thanks all for your replies.

He advertised it and stated on ad what the problem with it was and had a ton of calls and texts for it. Bike now sold - even had a couple of breakers called offering asking price and said they'd take it if deal fell through.

One caller even offered him double advertised price :eek: which he didn't accept as he'd already verbally agreed with the buyer.

Thanks again.

Is that the one I saw posted for 800..... if that was indeed the only fault, you left it go for FAR too cheap :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭bijou

Is that the one I saw posted for 800..... if that was indeed the only fault, you left it go for FAR too cheap :pac:

lol - yep that was the one.
    I think he realises that (as the amount of calls and texts he got was unreal), but at the same time he didn't want to take the proverbial.... :)

bijou wrote: »
    lol - yep that was the one.
    I think he realises that (as the amount of calls and texts he got was unreal), but at the same time he didn't want to take the proverbial.... :)

If ye were closer to Cork I would have taken it myself! Even if it cost 1000 to fix whatever the problem was, it'd be an easy enough one to sell for 2800 once fixed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭blade1

If ye were closer to Cork I would have taken it myself! Even if it cost 1000 to fix whatever the problem was, it'd be an easy enough one to sell for 2800 once fixed.

2800 for a 14 year old blade would be a bit much.
    If I was buying I would be wanting a very clean one for under 2000.
    I'd pay 2800 for a 03 954.
    I sold a 05 blade(7500 miles) last year for 4000.

blade1 wrote: »
    2800 for a 14 year old blade would be a bit much.
    If I was buying I would be wanting a very clean one for under 2000.
    I'd pay 2800 for a 03 954.
    I sold a 05 blade(7500 miles) last year for 4000.

Then the lad at Hourigans in Newmarket is being a bit of a dreamer with the price on his ones :pac:

Ah well, at least someone got an alright deal out of it, presuming the only issue is the one mentioned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Then the lad at Hourigans in Newmarket is being a bit of a dreamer with the price on his ones :pac:

I think so too and some old jap imports are. Priced crazy too IMO.

Advertisement