Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal holiday ideas & tips

Options
  • 25-02-2014 11:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,262 ✭✭✭

We are heading to Donegal for a week in July, never been before staying just outside Milford. We have a car so can get around. Two adults, one teen & one tween

We don't usually holiday in Ireland so looking for the locals insider knowledge

If we get decent weather, a couple of days surfing but which beach?

Anything that you guys here would recommend we do / check out, thinking about horse riding, boat trip anything that will keep them all happy,

Any decent restaurants to eat around Milford? Good pub grub is fine too

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

If the weathers good (doesn't happen too often in Donegal) there's plenty you can do, a few of my own favourites..

Kayaking up the coast from Burtonport up to Gweedore, there's a lot of small uninhabited islands, inlets, beaches, caves etc, a great way to spend a day if you get the weather

A day trip to Arranmore or Tory, some great scenery and a chance to see some of the more unique parts of the country. There's a boat trip around Arranmore as well that I found really enjoyable

Glenveagh National Park, visit the castle and walk/cycle through the valley and hills.

Climb Errigal, probably the most recognisable mountain in the country, some great views from the top all the way from Sligo to Derry

Ards Forest Park, as the name suggests its a forest park, great scenery walking through the forest and its right on the coast with a great beach which is only accessible through the forest, one of my favourite places on a sunny day

I'm not really into surfing but the beaches around Bundoran/Rossnoulagh are good for surfing

As said though, all weather dependant. You'll be close enough to Letterkenny and Derry if you're stuck for a day or two and need some indoor amusements

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭mgkelly

I live up on Inishowen, and would give it a shout out for exploring, too. Lots of nice walks from easy to hard!! Agree with all said before in previous post. Don't surf meself, but know that there are lots of beaches - the ones mentioned, and there are ones on Inishowen, too. Culdaff, for one, I think. There are even surf schools etc up here! Guy in Buncrana does one - he's an Aussie called Dan! Not bad for eating houses either. You will find it a wee bit 'rough & ready' in Inishowen, but it is nice. I'm a bit of a blow in - originally from Tyrone - but love it here. Great beaches, also, for ordinary beach-like activity - Lisfannon (blue flag), Buncrana, Culdaff, the joint that has the golf course - can't remember the darned name, and a million other wee beaches - everyone has their favourite! Fort Dunree not bad for walks also!
    Plenty to see!!

Martin

• Registered Users Posts: 46,101 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Have a read at this thread and follow the link in the first post :)

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭hootietootie

Earagail Arts. Festival is on in. July, should be loads happening. Think the website is eaf.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭mgkelly

That linked map is very good! Recommend everything on it!

• Advertisement
Advertisement