Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway in the movies

Options
  • 25-02-2014 11:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭

North Sea Hijack. Shot in Galway Docks (from 8 mins) in 1979

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Some reminiscences about it in this thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=61405114

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Saw it being filmed and saw the film, Galway docks was turned into a Norwegian Port, large oil rig support ship "Thor Viking" spent weeks going in and out of the docks, they renamed her "Esther" for the film.

Endas, in Salthill, was the set of a movie back in 2002 if that counts. Managed to track down the trailer. It's brutal.

Another film made in Galway with Paul Newman "The Mackintosh Man" 1973

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TITADDPO7Jk

A number of Roger Corman quickies were shot here in the 90s including some of the Bloodfist sequels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Not in the city, but the 1973 film The Mackintosh Man, with Paul Newman, was filmed at Ardfry House, near Oranmore. They put a new roof and windows on it so they could burn it down.

edit:too late!

Parts of the film were made in the docks on board a luxury yacht which also sailed to Roundstone, they also filmed at Galway Airport or Oranmore, the Burren and the Cliffs of Moher where the Mercedes went over the Cliffs. a friend of mine worked on making the Transit van and Mercedes to look rusty and dirty. I remember the night they set that house on fire it was some big fire, I watched it from Salthill.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12 GeorgeAndPop

Nothing actually filmed but in The Descent there's an Irish character who is from Galway and I think Eyre Square gets mentioned. Took me aback since usually when there are Irish characters in American films they are from Dublin, regardless of accent! Turns out the actress is a Nora-Jane Noone who is actually from Newcastle in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭jh79

Anyone know which Roger Corman films were filmed in Connemara ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

There's been some real stinkers filmed around Galway like Criminal Affairs. There was one about some magical six pack of beer too

I'll throw in the fact there seems to be an Ariel shot of a castle in Galway in the movie: The Spirit of St. Louis

Also parts of the The Quiet Man were filmed in County Galway...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

• Registered Users Posts: 13,163 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Don't forget "the guard"...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Here's a clip from Bloodfist 8 with a very young Hector.
    6 marks for anyone who recognises the Galwegian who gets thrown off the boat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Alfred the Great (1968) - Loughrea; The Secret of Boyne Castle (1969); Reefer and the Model (1988) - Galway docks and numerous Roger Corman titles. There are others but I'm too tired to think of them right now. Shameless plug for my blog http://irelandsmovies.wordpress.com/ but sadly it can't be searched by location - except by using Ctrl F on each page. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

http://www.imdb.com/search/title?count=100&locations=Galway

returns 155 movies / tv programs filmed in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Nothing actually filmed but in The Descent there's an Irish character who is from Galway and I think Eyre Square gets mentioned. Took me aback since usually when there are Irish characters in American films they are from Dublin, regardless of accent! Turns out the actress is a Nora-Jane Noone who is actually from Newcastle in Galway.

Angel (vampire baddie/love interest of Buffy fame) was from Galway... There was an episode set there detailing how he became a vampire. Needless to say, it looked nothing like Galway and the accents would make you want to drive a skewer into your ear...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

During the fliming of Alfred the great in 1968 my Dad received a visitor to the front door inquiring about who owned a stone wall which had been hit bt a passing car driven by an friend of his.

The visitor was Michael York.

Dad informed him that a neighbouring farmer owned the wall and indicated to the film star the location of the farmers house. Dad was then asked to contact the farmer whose wall was hit but was told he had no phone but that the film star could leave a message for the farmer if he wanted to.

Dad then asked him his name much to the amusement and astonishment of me and my three sisters who were there at the time.

A lot of the actors made a lot of the fact that many local people were not aware of their fame and they found this was a relief from the curiosity and lack of privacy usually associated with big name film stars.

A local teacher recalled for us a part he played in the film dressed up as a Viking hiding to attack the English who were on the march in one scene.
    He was asked to lurk behind some bushes and act as an attacker, when the scene was shot all you could hear was the teacher calling out "Lurk, Lurk......" thus ruining the scene. He was immediately dismissed for his flippant prank.

Found these a while back while searching the internet for images from "Alfred the Great".

5331_thumb.jpg

1968.jpg

(note the Viking on the right sporting a wristwatch :D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 472 ✭✭folbotcar

Doolox's comment about Michael York reminded me of a story I heard about him when he was filming something in Dublin. A woman was driving along when she saw him standing at a bus stop. She immediately stopped and offered him a lift which he accepted. Apparently he was very pleasant and commented that he liked filming in Ireland because even if people recognised him they usually left him alone. Some of the best stars are the most modest and approachable. Examples include Christopher Lee who despite the characters he plays is very charming.

Jonathan Rhys Meyers is another example. I was in the queue in the Ardmore Studios canteen once while they were making the Tudors clutching my lunch voucher. I looked around and there he was with his voucher waiting his turn. Ok it's a film studio canteen and everyone else is used to seeing famous people but I never saw another actor from the programme queuing.

On another note, the Viking with the watch reminds me of the modern twist on that. The mobile phone, which invariably rings just after they shout 'Action'.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I think the film Nora was shot in part in Galway.
    I think I remember filming down around the crescent but unfortunately I was too young to care so I don't remember any details. Ewan mcgregor was in it apparently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭chasmcb

'Galway in the Movies' would be a good subject for an exhibition/talk during the Film Fleadh. Those stills from Alfred the Great are gas!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭inisboffin

The newest Aidan Quinn film (Taylor Schilling co-stars) was shot in Connemara and Canada. You can spot a bit of Galway City in it too, including (I think!) the bus stop in Salthill :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Sinful Davy was made along the south shore of Killary c 1970.

Can't remember any of the actors, but recall "Mirisch" on one of the vans there

As mentioned on another thread.' Mackintosh man ' starring Paul Newman and James Mason was filmed around Galway mostly out in Roundstone though. Although there was scene shot at the old Oranmore airfield.

Interesting piece here about the making of "Alfred the Great".

http://www.advertiser.ie/galway/article/5331

I think the film Nora was shot in part in Galway.
    I think I remember filming down around the crescent but unfortunately I was too young to care so I don't remember any details. Ewan mcgregor was in it apparently.
    Some of it was but most of it was filmed in Dublin and Italy. Ewan McGregor was in it. I was an extra for the scene where they leave Ireland for good. It was filmed overnight. It was a long night too only wrapping at dawn. Every now and then during the shoot a woman would appear and very quietly give us directions but we never saw the director which I thought strange. Pat Murphy was his name. Only later did I find out 'he' was actually a she. :o Doh!

Anybody know about this German mini-series shot in Galway? Locations would be helpful. :)

"Meine grüne Freiheit - Ein Frühling in Irland" (2000)

Meine+gr%C3%BCne+Freiheit+-+Ein+Fr%C3%BChling+in+Irland+3.JPG

Meine+gr%C3%BCne+Freiheit+-+Ein+Fr%C3%BChling+in+Irland+2.JPG

Capture.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭basillarkin

The second picture looks the the old abbey out in claregalway

Thanks, I don't know the area but the old Abbey it is. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Cgfriary.jpg :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement