Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vehicle owner - Main driver?

• 25-02-2014 11:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi. I'm in a bit of a situation here. We (we as in me and parents) are having issues with our car and I've decided to buy a car myself so that we can use it until our main car gets sorted out.

If I was to buy the car and register it under my name, does that mean I'd have to be the main driver on our insurance (currently it is my mum, then me and dad are additional).

Would it be easier to just register the car on my mum or is that an issue here in Ireland at all? Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,846 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

My GF is the registered owner of my car that I have myself insured as the main driver. We are habitating spouses so maybe that makes a difference? I'm insured with RSA and they have no issues with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 DESPERADO21CZ

kceire wrote: »
    My GF is the registered owner of my car that I have myself insured as the main driver. We are habitating spouses so maybe that makes a difference? I'm insured with RSA and they have no issues with it.

Ok. I'd think that it should be fine since it's my parents but I might just contact the insurance company and ask them to be on the safe side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,309 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Most insurance companies will insist on the policy being in the registered owner's name as they require you to have an insurable interest in the vehicle. Best ring your insurance company for clarification though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,476 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

As far as I know, spouses are ok in terms of one or the other being insured / owner.
    Sons and daughters will not be ok as imo they will immediately and reasonably assume that the younger person is the main driver and as such the premium will be higher. If you are beyond the age that premium is an issue, you might be ok but why not just let mother or father buy it?

Advertisement