Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

insulation whos right?

Options
  • 26-02-2014 12:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

my guy that's helping me finish the house of my dreams and he wants to baton and then insulate and then plaster. he's eastern European and very skilled.
    other options from local plasterers say buy insulation boards and plaster them.
    although my guy assures me that its a better job even though it roughly costs the same....but I cant find anyone to agree with him. rolleyes.png please help!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭wirehairmax

Where's your architect?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 lizacel1

hi just got off phone from my architect and he said my man is right its much the same but mybe a little loss through the timber but just to make sure and vapour check it. he said all eastern euro country's like this way and its fine. but more worryingly is that the house I bought was 1/3 plastered about 4 years ago. the local plasterer told me I did NOT have to take it down but just change the nails :cool::cool:. I thought that sounded shady even the nails had rusted. my guy right again said take it all down!! rock on:o gives me such peace of mind.

lizacel1 wrote: »
    hi just got off phone from my architect and he said my man is right its much the same but mybe a little loss through the timber but just to make sure and vapour check it. he said all eastern euro country's like this way and its fine. but more worryingly is that the house I bought was 1/3 plastered about 4 years ago. the local plasterer told me I did NOT have to take it down but just change the nails :cool::cool:. I thought that sounded shady even the nails had rusted. my guy right again said take it all down!! rock on:o gives me such peace of mind.

God help you! Your architect sounds like he's really up to speed with thermal bridging, correct detailing, etc. I'd tell him it's 2014 and he's not in Eastern Europe for a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 lizacel1

ok. but there has to be many that have different ways but are all right to there own experience and expertise. im finding finishing this house a mine field of different thinking. didn't mean to annoy ye!!
    but what about leaving up the slabs. does that not sound a real case of lets just do it the easy way and still charge me top dollar??

You're not annoying me at all. But honestly you shouldn't be coming here for advice on something so important as wall insulation. You should really be expecting your architect to specify and sign off when complete. You make no mention of the type and thickness of insulation your EE guy is putting between the battens ? To be honest it's a shoddy way of building and is typical of the way all those yellow pack houses are built in all those estates throughout greater dublin. It's not fit for a dog kennel unless done correctly and a complete waste of your money.

• Advertisement
Advertisement