Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

1,000 Miles Later...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Well done. Great stuff.
    That's a fair marker you've put down for me to target.
    We'll have to have a smackdown soon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

That's a fantastic result. By that report at least, you seem to take everything in you stride(no pun intended). When was the last time you panicked in a race if you don't mind me asking... Super result :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Well done. Great stuff.
    That's a fair marker you've put down for me to target.
    We'll have to have a smackdown soon :)

In keeping with the terminology, bring it :)
    What are your plans for the rest of the year?
    My schedule atm (subject to change)

Weekend of June 21st - 5K - Not sure where yet, might venture to Dublin for a parkrun.
    July 19th - Killarney 10K - This was my first race last year so I'll be tackling it again for sentimental reasons.
    Sept 21st - Charleville HM - Dublin prep with a good chunk of marathon training already done.
    Oct 27th - DCM
    Dec - Waterford HM
    martyboy48 wrote: »
    That's a fantastic result. By that report at least, you seem to take everything in you stride(no pun intended). When was the last time you panicked in a race if you don't mind me asking... Super result :)

I was definitely panicking during that 6th mile, glancing at the watch and seeing my pace drop to over 7 min/mile. Happy with my ability to recover though.

Looks like it will probably be the DCM.
    I can't run the weekend of June 21st and the rest just don't fit my schedule.
    Ah well. Gives us plenty of time to hype it up :)

A week of easy running for me after the half marathon. As the week went on my legs got fresher naturally. Average pace dipped to around 7.25 for what felt like easy running towards the end of the week. Perhaps a sign of some gains from the half itself. Good to scale it back completely for a week and I'm now ready to tackle week 1/8 in my 10K plan.

308591.png
    Weekly total 33.7 miles

The most noteworthy part of the past weeks running was surpassing last years total mileage:

308592.jpg

I still wasn't even running at this stage last year. I'm delighted with how far I've come and eager to push forward from here. This next training cycle is to coincide with my first race last year so I'm going to want to put as much time between me and 45:50 (last years time) as possible. I'm setting my target at sub 37. What a running year that would cap.

Monday 26th - 8.38 miles inc 2,2 @ Tempo

2 miles warm up
    2 miles tempo (6.17, 6.12)
    3 min rec
    2 miles tempo (6.17, 6.16)
    2 miles warm down

Tried not to worry too much about the pace for these. In around 6.15 +/- 5 sec was the target so happy with the out come on paper. More happy with how it felt though. It was controlled with just the right touch of difficulty that I'd have expected. Got the plan off to a good start.

Tuesday 27th - 8.02 miles @ 7.33
    Easy does it, no ill effects from the previous days efforts.

Thursday 29th - 11.07 miles inc. 6 X 1 @ P10KP w/ 3min rec
    Planned pace = 5.57

1.5 warm up
    6 X 1 @ 10K (5.56, 5.56, 5.56, 5.54, 5.55, 5.51)
    1.5 warm down

Again I was delighted with this both on paper and with how it felt. It was tough going but not gut busting like previous efforts at this pace. I was able to push the pace when needed and probably got a touch carried away on the final rep. Again discounting the final mile, it was probably one of my best paced session so I'm delighted with that also.

Wither it's further gains on the back of my hm or the relatively fresh legs, I've felt very strong the past week. I'm just worried not this feeling of good form won't carry through to the end of the cycle :o

Friday 30th - 5.24 miles @ 8.17
    Recovery mileage.

Saturday 31st - 14.03 miles @ 7.33
    Took a random, undulating route straight out into the country side. Some roads were more like running on trails but it was tranquil, warm and a thoroughly enjoyable venture.

Sunday 1st - Tuesday 3rd - Man Flu
    Flu?? In June?? Was quite ill on Sunday night and hardly slept a wink. Fortunately the soar throat faded fairly quickly. By Wednesday I still had a blocked nose but no ill effects below the neck so I headed back out.

Wednesday 4th - 6.10 miles @ 7.25
    Legs were a touch wobbly to begin with but found a good stride after the first mile. Apart from having to clear my nose quite often the flu didn't appear to have much affect on my running :)

Thursday 5th - 8.56 miles @ 7.20 inc. 12 X 400m
    Target = 1.26

2 mile warm up
    12 X 400 @ 5K (1.26, 1.26, 1.26, 1.24, 1.23, 1.24, 1.23, 1.26, 1.22, 1.25, 1.21, 1.23)
    2 mile warm down

This went down very comfortably compared to the last two times I ran 400 intervals. Hopefully a sign of good things to come in the near future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Some great training\running going on here SB - keep it up!

Friday 6th - 5.27 miles @ 8.23
    Was working at 8 and heading home straight after work so an extra early 6.20am recovery run.

Saturday 7th - 15.05 miles @ 7.21
    Long run around the sticks in Kerry. It's been a while since I've smelt as much slurry :o

Sunday 8th - 6.22 miles @ 7.21
    Again very comfortable. I beat my first 10K pb from 11 months ago during an easy run. :)

Next week I've my first planned 50 mile week and it's also my last week building before a steep back for my first 5K.

• Advertisement

Monday 9th - 7.26 miles inc. 20 min tempo
    I do love running in a thunder spout. Kept me plenty cool during the tempo part of the run which I averaged 6.10 pace.

Tuesday 10th - 10ish miles at 7.30ish
    Plugged the garmin in before heading off, it said 22%. Grand I said. 7 miles later I get the battery low warning and about a minute later its dead. Its my one big negative about the garmin, virtually no low battery warning.

With regards the run itself, it was very much a getting the miles in feel to it. I hope this attitude will shift before I've to start hitting the midweek medium long runs come marathon training time.

Wednesday 11th - Recovery
    No run for me today but it did mark 1 year since I started training consistently and tracking my runs. I began here with the target of running 10K sub 50. 1 year later the target is sub 37. :)

Thursday 12th - 10.84 miles inc. (1 X 2 miles, 4 X 1 mile @ 10K)
    Target pace was 5.57. I took 5 min rec after the 2 mile interval and 3 min after the 1 mile intervals. A tough session but one I was looking forward to all week.

2 mile - 5.54
    1 mile - 5.56
    1 mile - 5.54
    1 mile - 5.55
    1 mile - 5.55

This couldn't have gone much better. Only once did I hear my watch screaming at me to speed up. I feel in real good shape atm and I can only hope it carries over to my first 5K in 9 days time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

great session there

Also, great to read stuff like this: "I began here with the target of running 10K sub 50. 1 year later the target is sub 37. smile.png"

Friday 13th - 5.2 miles @ 8.24
    Recovery miles

Saturday 14th - 16.02 miles @ 7.45
    My legs were much heavier than usual than this one. Still feeling the effects of the session during the week. The pace dropped a bit from the last few weeks long runs but nothing to be worried about.

Monday 16th - 8.85 miles inc. 30min @ tempo
    Tough going with a lot of watch glancing wishing the time would tick away faster. Tempo pace was 6.11 however so content with that effort.

Tuesday 17th - 7.03 miles @ 7.13
    Easy run that saw the pace push on quite nicely and comfortably.

Saturday 21st - Killarney Lions 5K
    Plan called for a 5K this weekend as prep. I was originally going to head to Dublin for a parkrun and meet up with friends from college but they were otherwise engaged so I started to look elsewhere. No 5Ks around Waterford so I decided to head home as there was a race in Killarney.

As I've seen many on here suggest, the best way to run a 5K is to go out hard and cling on and that is exactly what I did. This was a small race of about 50 people. We took off and I was in 4th after the first couple hundred meters. After a half mile I had worked my way to the front and hit the first mile, feeling pretty strong. 5.26

Half way through the second mile I was really starting to hurt. I was glancing at my watch wishing the miles would tick over quicker. Second mile 5.43

Having to work hard to maintain the pace but kept plugging away as best I could. When I could finally see the finish line, it made things a touch easier. 5.50

The final section was up hill so a tough finish, brought it home with 5.55

No chip timing so will be taking my watch time of 17.55. I've a strong feeling it was long as my watch read 3.15 miles and there was some tree coverage in the park with that. (Also there was more of a start area that a start line). It was a small local race for charity, not a goal race and at least not short. Next time I visit the 5K distance, I'll be looking to get a more concrete time but for now I'll just be happy with sub 18 and my first race win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

That's great going well done.

Haven't read back over you log yet, what's the target for Dublin.

You're on for a savage improvement from the 3.28.

I'll read the rest of it later but you're a sub 3 candidate definitely.

TbL

That's great going well done.

Haven't read back over you log yet, what's the target for Dublin.

You're on for a savage improvement from the 3.28.

I'll read the rest of it later but you're a sub 3 candidate definitely.

TbL

Target is sub 3, will be training for 2.55 however, with the ambition of potentially hitting that. Probably will do the Charleville HM as prep so I won't be setting anything in stone until after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Bulmers74

Well done on the win lad - great going.

• Advertisement

Great stuff.
    The showdown is still on :D:D

Monday 23rd - 6.10 miles @ 7.30
    Warm mid morning miles, legs still quite heavy from the race at the weekend.

Tuesday 24th - 10.02 miles @ 7.22

More warm mid morning mileage. Out and back loop into the countryside before work. Legs were feeling heavy still but it didn't seem to effect my pace too much.

Wednesday 25th - 5.13 miles @ 7.33
    More easy miles. Legs finally starting to feel a touch fresher.

Thursday 26th - 10.85 miles inc (2 X 2 miles + 2 X 1 mile @ 10K)
    Was not looking forward to this much with the way I'd been feeling all week. However, it didn't turn out too badly at all:

2 miles (5.53)
    2 miles (5.54)
    1 mile (5.54)
    1 mile (5.56)

Did the first 5 miles a touch too hard and end up paying for it in the last mile where I hopped, spluttered and gagged to the finish :o. Will have to make sure of a more even pace to complete the 3X2 session in two weeks.

Friday 27th - 5.15 @ 7.56
    Recovery-ish miles as I was cutting it tight getting to work.

Will round off the week with a 14 mile long run tomorrow evening. Will be spending my morning volunteering at the Waterford Marathon, hope they'll be a great buzz around the event. Off to Dublin then on Sunday for Arcade Fire. Not looking forward to my tempo run on Tuesday :D

Bit of catching up to do...

Saturday 28th - 14.02 miles @ 7.36
    Tuesday 1st - 10.23 miles @ 7.30
    Wednesday 2nd - 6.13 miles @ 7.21

All easy miles here. I had planned on doing a tempo run on the Monday but I stayed in Dublin to watch Germany vs Algeria previous night. Got the last bus back to Waterford and with the late night decided to take the Monday off completely.

Thursday 3rd - 10.23 miles @ 7.20 (inc. 24 X 200)

Splits (43, 44, 44, 46, 42, 42, 43, 42, 43, 42, 42, 43, 43, 43, 43, 43, 43, 43, 43, 41, 42, 43, 43, 42)

Target was between 3-5K pace and was all reasonably consistent except the fourth rep where my key fell through my pocket. Tbh this felt like one of the easier sessions I've done recently but perhaps needed with a big one coming this week.

Friday 4th - 5.24 miles @ 8.29
    Recovery

Saturday 5th - 15.02 miles @ 7.20
    Post work evening run. Felt really good on this one again after a sluggish week. Mile 13 brought up my first 1,000 mile year so another big milestone reached. With marathon training to come I'll hope to reach 2K before December 31st.

Sunday 6th - 5.43 miles @ 7.33
    Easy run to round out the week and go over 50 miles for it.

Monday 7th - 8.91 miles (inc 30 min tempo) @ 6.48
    Tempo pace was a touch fast @ 6.06 but I didn't feel too under pressure.

Tuesday 8th - 10.02 miles @ 7.23
    Wednesday 9th - 5.15 miles @ 7.07

Easy miles keeping things ticking over.

Thursday 10th - 10.22 miles (inc 3X2 miles @ 10K) @ 6.46

Time for the final big session of my (McMillan's) 10K plan. I'd felt good going into this for a few days and I was hoping the session from two weeks previous would have brought me on a bit.

I did each 2 mile rep in 5:54 with 5 min rec in between. First two reps felt relatively comfortable but the last mile I had to really dig deep for. Finished it out strong though and no dry reaching this time which was a plus :pac:

Friday 11th - 5.26 miles @ 8.18
    Recovery

Saturday 12th - 16.03 miles @ 7.31
    Was up at 4.30 to get this done before my trip to Dublin for Arctic Monkeys. Tired miles but it was after one of my toughest sessions and my 12th day in a row running, which I believe is a personal record in that regard.

Monday 14th - 5.23 miles @ 7.13
    Tuesday 15th - 6.30 miles @ 7.17
    Wednesday 16th - 5.49 miles (inc 5 X 1min @5K) @ 7.28

Mostly easy miles here with a mini session thrown in for some turnover. I've been quite tired physically this week and have had a few persistent niggles also. I don't think two days of booze for a concert and the world cup final are much help in meeting potential the week before a race. A few doubts in my mind but I'll hopefully be well rested the next two nights and churn out a time I can be happy with.

Pre-Race
    A humid but calm day. I did a 1.5 mile warm up with a few strides and lined myself up in the second row. Noticed a few local frontrunners were absent and based off last years times, I felt I may be in with a chance of a prize.

Race
    Off we went and I settled into a comfortable pace. One athlete jump out to the front and was forging ahead already in the first half mile. I was in 4th with with two more in front of me, who I had passed by the end of the first mile. I had been joined at this point by another runner who loomed up easily from behind. 5.55

Second mile and I was already starting to come under some pressure to keep goal pace. I tired to run tactically, saving myself on the hills and making it up on any flat and downhill sections. All the while I tracked the other runner who was with me at this point. 6.01

Third mile was fast, but it had a nice downhill stretch in the second half of it. I hadn't even realised how quick it was during the race as I was really starting to suffer now. The other runner I was with pushed on and I was alone in third. 5.48

I began fading now as I was met with a lot of undulation hills that knocked me back from goal pace. Again this mile felt much slower during the race when that not today thought began to set in. 6.04

Stomach now churning and still getting bested by small hills, the pace really began to drop on this mile. Had it of been a 5 mile race I may have been able to dig in for a sub 6 min/mile race but that extra mile proved too much. Along with the final mile, the pace had slipped to a tempo pace. 6.12, 6.15

Found a burst for the final .2 towards the line 5.50 to come home in 3rd place.

Time: 37.27
    3rd* place

Post race
    Initially I was somewhat disappointed with the run as I really thought I could go sub 37, especially with how well my final prep session went. The hills in second half of the race along with a build up week where I was shattered for the most of it didn't help. The speed endurance just wasn't there on the day. Still happy to break my secondary goal of sub 37.30.

On a more positive note, that completes my first year of competitive running. This was my first race last year and I did it in 45.50. I remember seeing the winning time that day (sub 36) and thinking I'd love to be able to run that, but it would probably take at least 5 years. It'll take a lot of continued work but hopefully, the next time I focus on 10K, I won't be too far away from that. A PB of 1.32 from February so all in all can't be too disappointed.

Again, much like last year, the attention now turns to DCM. I'll keep ticking over with easy miles next week, and get my first 20 mile run done on Saturday, then straight into P&D 12 week 55-70 mile plan.

* The guy who finished second was under 18 so I was awarded 2nd place. A bit harsh and I certainly won't be referring to it as a second place finish but they're the rules I guess.

• Advertisement

This week would serve as a transition from 10K training into marathon training. Easy midweek runs with my first run over 16 miles in 9 months on the back end. From here I'll be starting an slightly augmented P&D 12 week up to 70 miles. Made out the plan last night. Edited it to fit in one extra marathon pace run, pushed a few of the longer runs out to 20 miles and included a weeks recovery after the Charleville HM.

I've penciled in three 20 milers and two 22 milers and I'll be peaking the MP runs with 14@MP.

Monday 21st - 6.08 miles @ 7.29
    Wednesday 23rd - 6.10 miles @ 7.33
    Thursday 24th - 6.17 miles @ 7.42
    Friday 25th - 6.03 miles @ 7.25

All relatively short easy runs during the week. Took Tuesday off as I woke up during the night with quite a bad cramp in my right calf. No adverse affects since however.

Saturday 26th - 20.05 miles @ 7.44
    I was really excited and interest in seeing how this run would pan out. I haven't run over 16 miles since DCM last year and this would only be my 4th time ever reaching the 20 mile mark. I was still confident the running I've done in between would mean the run wouldn't be too taxing and thankfully that turned out to be the case.

For the first 10 miles, I had my water belt strapped on and I couldn't get used to it again. Strapped around my hips and would slide down and around my stomach it would become uncomfortable and slow me down. When I got back in form my first loop, I discarded it and altered my route into two smaller loops so I could swing past and get some water again.

From mile 10-18, the pace quickened from 7.50ish to 7.30ish but I did tire noticeably over the final two miles. Instead of pushing myself I kept the same effort levels and had two miles just under 8.00. Little to be gained from going hard at this stage I figured.

Delighted to get my first 20 done and even more so to not be too fatigued after it. Now to begin my first week of the p&d plan. Just 765 miles till DCM :)

Monday 28th - 8.03 miles w/ 10 strides @ 7.38
    I may have been a bit premature when I said my legs were relatively fresh after the 20 mile. Sluggish start to the week.

Tuesday 29th - 11.03 miles @ 7.43
    Again the legs aren't feeling great and already I'm thinking marathon training could be a bit of a slog. Won't be afraid to slow the pace when needed.

Wednesday 30th - 5.03 miles @ 8.38

Recovery run. Took to the grass for this to help aid the legs in recovery.

Thursday 31st - 11.02 miles @ 7.32
    The legs finally felt as if they were returning to normal. 217.49 miles for July. My first time running over 200 miles in a month.

Friday 1st - 5.02 miles @ 8.23
    Recovery run on grass.

Saturday 2nd - 15.00 miles (inc 8 @ PMP) @ 7.03
    This was my first time doing a marathon pace run of this nature so not sure what to expect. Did 7 miles warm up and then finished out with MP miles. As many have recommended on here, I'll be training for a 2.55 marathon, so PMP = 6.40:

I didn't even realise how carried away I got in the middle miles until I looked afterwards. Once I found my stride in the first two miles, these felt quite comfortable. While the breathing was relaxed, I did start to lock up a bit in my back and hips. If this week has thought me anything it's that I'm going to have to invest much more time into looking after my niggles over the coming weeks if I'm to make the start line at 100%. Delighted with the MP effort though and looking forward to building on that in the coming weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

First year of competitive running and a 37:27 10k time... And you let a little whipper snapper beat you to 2nd :D:D Seriously though, thats some running by you(and the young fella as well :D).

Look forward to keeping in touch with your log to see how you get on with the DCM plan. You're making great improvements, keep up the good work :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

Saturday 2nd - 15.00 miles (inc 8 @ PMP) @ 7.03
    This was my first time doing a marathon pace run of this nature so not sure what to expect. Did 7 miles warm up and then finished out with MP miles. As many have recommended on here, I'll be training for a 2.55 marathon, so PMP = 6.40:

That's great going. A big confidence booster heading into the next few weeks. I have a feeling your target time may come down a bit :)

That's great going. A big confidence booster heading into the next few weeks. I have a feeling your target time may come down a bit :)

+1
    Great following this tbh. It makes me realise I can't slacken at all, or you'll be leaving me in your wake :D

We'll leave that to speculation for now. Lots of miles to be ran before I'll even think about nailing down a target time.
    yaboya1 wrote: »
    +1
    Great following this tbh. It makes me realise I can't slacken at all, or you'll be leaving me in your wake :D

I'm really enjoying contrasting our approaches too. I've a feeling your legs are that bit fresher using the hr training approach. I'd never have the discipline for it though :D. I'm the one who'll have to stay consistent if I'm to keep up, based on recent race times :)

Monday 4th - 11.27 miles @ 7.43
    Tuesday 5th - 12.03 miles @ 7.44

A set of medium long runs to start off week 2. Both horribly timed as I got absolutely soaked on each (might have to start throwing back the vit C earlier than expected). Since my long run on Saturday I'd been up and down from Croke Park so I'd not exactly given myself the best chance to recover. Tired, heavy legs, especially on the second run. After these I really got stuck in with the foam roller and it's seemed to bring a bit of life back into my legs.

When rolling my left calf, there's an intense pain on the lower inside region, for the first 5/6 passes. It's been an area that's been a bit tight for a few months now but has gotten worse since I started marathon training. Thing is it's only soar when pressure is applied and although I can feel tightness, it's not soar at all while running. I'm going to see what continuous rolling and stretching will do for the remainder of the week and take it from there. Dreading getting it looked at and been told it could be something like shin splints or a stress fracture and been told not to run for a number of weeks.

Wednesday 6th - 5.02 miles @ 8.14
    Recovery run.

Thursday 7th - 9 miles(inc. 4 @ tempo) @ 7.04
    Though this could be a toughie coming off heavy mileage but it went quite well. Ran the 4 tempo miles at 6.14. Still a sharp pain in the left calve post run but the intensity drops off once I go at it with the roller. Feels slightly better overall. I'll see how it is after my long run.

Friday 8th - 5.03 miles @ 8.36
    Very slow recovery run which seemed to serve me well.

Saturday 9th - 18.03 miles @ 7.31
    I was planning on doing this a touch slower but my legs were feeling fresh for the first time in two weeks so I pushed on comfortably. Week 2 of training down and I think I'm starting to adapt to marathon training. 60 miles done this week. Looking forward to my next MP run next weekend.

Monday 11th - 9.02 miles w/10 X 100m strides @ 7.33
    Tuesday 12th - 14.02 miles @ 7.37
    Two longish runs to get the week started. Legs are feeling good. Since I've started marathon training this is the first week I've started somewhat fresh so I'm happy to be adapting to the higher mileage of recent weeks.

Wednesday 13th - 5.03 miles @ 8.33
    Slow recovery run.

Thursday 14th - 12.02 miles @ 7.43
    Nothing too eventful from this run. Got out, got the miles done and came home with no new niggles. My left calf, although still soar when pressure is applied to it, seems to be in better nick the last week or so. Hoping that trend continues.

Friday 15th - 5.02 miles @ 8.31

Slow recovery heading into my MP session.

Saturday 16th - 17 miles (inc 10 @ PMP) @ 7.04
    Warm up miles were a bit sluggish starting with a pair of 8 min miles. Slowly up the pace over the next 5 miles to complete the first 7 miles @ 7.45 pace. Finished out with 10 @ MP, splits as follows:

Tried to keep things closer to MP this time and did a better job but one or two miles in the middle got a touch quick. I was delighted with the effort. Again my breathing was relatively comfortable throughout but my legs did get tired as to be expected. I've done this run and the last MP run on a very flat loop so one question mark I have coming out of it, is it too flat/easy. Might locate somewhere a touch more undulating for the next MP run in three weeks.

62 miles on the week. Another new high. I though marathon training was going to drag but I've very much being enjoying it so far.

That's a great MP session, flat or not.
    Well done ;)

• Advertisement

Monday 18th - 13.03 miles @ 7.39
    Tuesday 19th - 15.03 miles @ 7.29

Two medium long runs once again to get the week going. Starting to adapt to the higher mileage now and the paces are starting to reflect it. These are the two highest mileage back to back days in the plan so its nice to get them out of the way.

Wednesday 20th - 5.02 miles @ 8.30
    Recovery

Thursday 21st - 10.20ish miles (inc 5.3ish miles tempo)
    This run was spoiled by my garmin. Which despite showing 40% charge shut itself down (and not for the first time). The first 2.73 miles I got measured but I had to run the rest by feel. It was pretty much another circuit of what I'd already done so I think I was able to do a decent job of replicating the effort. Did a much worse job of judging where the 5 miles ended and ran a nice chunk extra up tempo.

Of what I had record, the splits were:
    6.09 (.73 miles)

Friday 22nd - 5.03 miles @ 8.30

Recovery

Saturday 23rd - 20.03 miles @ 7.24
    Did a nice loop from the city out the back roads to Tramore and in back in the main road for this. Got it done early in the day before making my way to Dublin for the Kerry match. A fluid run and unlike my last 20 miler four weeks ago, I didn't fade in the final few miles. Threw in a nice steep climb in the last mile which made me sweat but then again, so will Roebuck:

319719.jpg
    And some splits:

319720.png

Another solid week, another weekly high in terms of mileage. This week will see a slight step back and recovery before the beginning of the 5K paced sessions in the plan.

That's a great week's training

Monday 25th - 8.02 miles w/10 X 100m strides @ 7.35
    Tuesday 26th - 15.02 miles @ 7.32
    Wednesday 27th - Rest
    Thursday 28th - 9.46 miles inc 4 @ tempo (6.08, 6.09, 6.08, 6.11)
    Friday 29th - 7.02 miles @ 7.52

Recovery week so I'm not going to write too much about it. Missed two runs (my first two off the plan) due to feeling run down/a touch of flu and dull pain in my left shin throughout the day towards the end of the weeks.

The coming two weeks are probably the toughest in the plan so I wanted to be right for them and make sure I nail down the key runs. Although annoyed at missing a run at the time, looking now I definitely made a good decision.

EDIT: 250 miles for the month also.

Monday 1st - 7.02 miles @ 8.35
    This was supposed to be a 10mile day split into 6 & 4 but I didn't find the time to get a morning run in so settled for a 7 mile recovery.

Tuesday 2nd - 11.02 miles @ 7.18 w/5 X 1500m @ 5K

On paper this was one of the toughest session I've ever faced. The only sessions I've done previously were 400m or pyramid so I'd never done one with a sustained 5K effort like this. Split pace:

Took 2.30 recovery between splits. The only session I can compare it to was the few times I've done 6X1 mile @ 10K and despite a small bit of dry reaching towards the end, I found it much easier going than I'd expected.

Wednesday 3rd - 15.03 miles @ 7.47
    15 miles after a tough session?!? Kept this on the easy side of things, was just about getting it done..

Thursday 4th - 10.03 miles @ 7.38
    Another 10 miles?? I'm pretty sure these are the three toughest days in a row in the plan so delighted to get them out of the way, feeling fresher than last week and little to report on the niggles front.

Friday 5th - 6.02 miles @ 8.27
    Recovery

Saturday 6th - 18 miles (w/ 12@MP) @ 6.56
    6 mile warm up and straight into the MP miles to finish out. Splits:

This went very well. Felt relatively comfortable compared to my previous MP efforts. My breathing was controlled throughout and I was never under too much pressure. Given the up and down nature of marathon training, I can expect a nightmare next week.. :pac: 67 miles on the week.

Will wait to see what result the HM throws my way but given good conditions, I'm fairly confident now I'll race for 2.55 as opposed to just breaking 3 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Some tasty little sessions going on here :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭paddybarry

You are going great SB. Quick question, how are you fueling these long longs with PMP? What do you eat before and during?
    Thanks,
    PB.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

Saturday 6th - 18 miles (w/ 12@MP) @ 6.56
    6 mile warm up and straight into the MP miles to finish out. Splits:

This went very well. Felt relatively comfortable compared to my previous MP efforts. My breathing was controlled throughout and I was never under too much pressure. Given the up and down nature of marathon training, I can expect a nightmare next week.. :pac: 67 miles on the week.

Will wait to see what result the HM throws my way but given good conditions, I'm fairly confident now I'll race for 2.55 as opposed to just breaking 3 hours.

Really great going. A big confidence booster. Think you are dead right adjusting your target downwards.

Some tasty little sessions going on here :D

This day a year ago, under your very own guidance, I was running my first half marathon at 40sec a mile slower pace than the MP run I did yesterday. :eek:
    paddybarry wrote: »
    You are going great SB. Quick question, how are you fueling these long longs with PMP? What do you eat before and during?
    Thanks,
    PB.

I was working yesterday so I had breakfast and dinner before the run. Breakfast was a bowl of porridge, dinner was chilli with brown rice about 4 hours before the run. In regards diet I just eat brown/wholegrain foods where possible and try not to eat too much crap.
    Really great going. A big confidence booster. Think you are dead right adjusting your target downwards.

Cheers. You're putting in great consistent work at present yourself. I'm sure it'll pay off in the long run and yesterday was only a blip.

This day a year ago, under your very own guidance, I was running my first half marathon at 40sec a mile slower pace than the MP run I did yesterday. :eek:

That's mad!

Don't forget to give us a mention when you're famous :D

• Advertisement

That's mad!

Don't forget to give us a mention when you're famous :D

Hope you can wait until the next lifetime :pac:

Monday 8th - 9.02 miles (w/10 X 100m strides) @ 7.34
    Tuesday 9th - 15.02 miles @ 7.39
    Two easy runs as usual to kick off the week. Had a few scoops Monday night so Tuesdays run I was very much in the mind frame of getting it done nice and easy :D

Wednesday 10th - 7.02 miles @ 8.31
    Recovery

Thursday 11th - 12 miles (w/ 7@tempo) @ 7.01

This is possibly the toughest single run in the schedule. Definitely top 3. P&D say faster runners (they don't quantify what the standard is for fast runners) should run tempo closer to HM pace. My tempo pace so far in this cycle has been 5-10 sec faster than HM pace. With this falling 10 days out from my HM, I figured I would keep things at PHM pace, as it would service as a good trail run for that also. Target pace therefor was 6:15

3 miles warm up
    7 miles tempo (6.15, 6.17, 6.11, 6.15, 6.11, 6.13, 6.12)
    2 mile warm down

It was just as tough as it looked on paper but I was delighted with my output here. Another key workout in the bank.

Friday 12th - 6.02 miles @ 8.23

Recovery

Saturday 13th - 22.02 miles @ 7.36
    The plan for this was simple, run the first 11 miles 8-7.40 pace, second half, 7.20-7.40 pace. Splits:

First 11

Second 11

Looking at this on paper it seemed to go pretty well but it doesn't tell the whole story. Really struggled over the last 2 and a half miles. Had to push the effort levels to keep the times down. I was absolutely shattered afterwards. I felt weak a had a touch of the dizzies until I could get some food in me. I don't remember been this shook from a run until after DCM last year.

It puts a bit of a question mark over my endurance but there are a couple of things I can attribute to that.

- Two days after a very tough session, which has got to still be in the legs.
    - Heat. I was swimming in sweat afterwards and perhaps didn't take on enough water (about 300-400ml) during the run due to my hatred of running belts.
    - The end of a 71 mile week. This was my first week breaking 70 miles so my legs were bound to be tired from cumulative fatigue. I hope fresh legs come race day will make a huge difference in the second half of the race.

I've had enough positive runs of late not to get too worried but the one true unknown going into a marathon is how you'll fair in the latter stages of the race and today does raise that question mark. Plenty of training left yet though and I'm sure this run will do my endurance the world of good. I have another 22 miler in 3 weeks, which I'll be using as a run though for Dublin (gels, water every 3 miles etc) that will hopefully banish todays question mark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭paddybarry

Are you using racing flats for marathon? Thanks.
    PB

paddybarry wrote: »
    Are you using racing flats for marathon? Thanks.
    PB

Hey Paddy,

Yes I am. I've a pair of Brooks ST 5s that I'm intending to use. I use a shoe with more cushion for my long runs but will be using this lighter shoe on the day.

Monday 15th - 9.03 miles (w/ 5 X 600m @ 5K) @ 7.25
    Based on my last race, 5K pace should be 5.48 so I set the garmin to start screeching between that and 5.40. I had meant to set the recoveries to 90sec but I carelessly set it as 60sec when I was setting up the workout after work. Made things a touch tougher than they should of been but I got through it with relative without having to push too hard.
    Splits:

Tuesday 16th - 14.02 miles @ 7.42
    Mid week mlr. Keep things nice and easy with race coming up at the weekend. These have quickly become my least favorite run each week. Very time consuming on a work day but key to keeping the volume high. Only a handful more to go in this cycle though.

Wednesday 17th - 7.02 @ 8.23
    Recovery

Thursday 18th - 6.03 @ 7.44
    Here is where I altered the week to fit in the HM. Short run to stay ticking over.

Friday 19th - Rest

Saturday 20th - 4.02 miles (w/ 5 X 100m strides) @ 8.09
    Very easy miles to shake out the legs and finished out with a few strides.

Big day tomorrow now. At the beginning of the year I would of had skepticism of reaching this point. There has been some gripping moments along the way. There's going to be butterflies but I have no doubt I'll see a positive result. Ciarrai Abu!! Oh and I'm looking forward to Charleville in the morning too :D

Best of luck tomorrow - forecast looking good for the run.

• Advertisement

1.21.47. Pb of just over 2 min and race target met. Delighted. Mon the kingdom!!!

1.21.47. Pb of just over 2 min and race target met. Delighted. Mon the kingdom!!!

Great running.
    Well done ;)

1:21 ..... that is savage running. Well done :D

Well done - great run. Enjoy the match

Pre Race
    Got up at 6.30 and had my usual pre-race breakfast of porridge and a cup of tea. Out the door as the sun rose, not a puff of air. Looked like an ideal morning for racing. Just as we crossed the border to Limerick, it got very overcast all of a sudden. Didn't think much of it until I got out of the car at Charleville. It was very cold, felt about 6-8 degrees, so the early morning sun was not to be a factor. Cold, calm and dry, couldn't have a better day for running. My plan was to easy into it over the first two miles and try and run 6.15 to home, trying to pick up a few seconds along the way, with the target being sub 1.22.

Race
    The 1.20 & 1.25 paces were pretty much on top of each other at the start so I lined up, just off the 1.25 guys. I got boxed in a touch for the first couple of hundred meters but as soon as I saw a gap, I pushed a touch. A very fast start threw the plan out the window slightly. 6.13

Although going out a touch faster than planned, I felt very comfortable. I eased off still during the second mile. 6.22. At this point, the field started to split. Those following the 1.20 pacers had forged ahead and I found myself at the front of the chasing pack. I was running my own race and had no intention of tracking them down, no one from the behind came through and I had a lonely few miles. 6.15, 6.09, 6.11

At this point the comfortable miles were behind me and I started feeling like I was in a race. Picked off a few stranglers from the 1.20 group but started to come under pressure in parts. Eased off where necessary an felt very strong again approaching halfway. 6.12, 6.08

Just after halfway, I found myself in a group of three. I took up the running early in this group but it seemed they wanted to run a touch faster than 6.15, so I tucked in behind, carefully not to burn too much energy. There was one or two points which I though they'd get away from me but I held on starting to come under real pressure approaching the turn back on the main road at mile 10. 6.06, 6.15, 6.14.

With turning onto the main road, the group of three suddenly split. One guy fell away and the other guy pushed on a touch. I let him off initially, but with just three miles to go, I felt I go push the effort levels now too. We passed a couple of other runners over the next two mile and one other guy stuck with us going into the final mile. 6.15, 6.15

We were pretty much a line of three for the first half of the final mile. The guy I had followed from halfway had lost the power in his watch and asked me for the time at the 12th mile. We exchanged a few words and go back to business. At the 20km mark he asked for the time again and upon hearing it, let out a burst. This was too much for me and he was gone. I tucked in behind the other runner who was with us, very much under pressure now. There was a nice drag in the second half of the final mile (going back against that quick start) and I could feel that "I'm going to get sick" feeling coming on fast. 6.13

The turn off the road for the final bit was downhill so finished out that piece (.18 according to the garmin) at 5.31 pace. Didn't manage to pass the guy in front but the job was done at that stage.

1.21.47 :D
    67th place

Post-race
    Delighted with that effort. Ran the race pretty much to plan and got the result I was looking for. I'd like to think there's more there but I didn't want to be too aggressive with the target, considering I'm in the thick of marathon training. That's a matter for another day however.

I still have some doubts over endurance but I'm going to give 2.55 a lash in Dublin. I'd rather struggle trying to get 2.55 than come home comfortably just under 3 (can't know if that would be the case either). I set a soft target last year and enjoyed the experience so I'm happy to push myself that bit further this year.

As for the race itself, I cannot say a bad word. An absolute army of volunteers, helping out with the road closures. Pacers down as far as 1.20. A quality field and all the food you'd want afterwards. Not pancake flat, but largely flat.

Now time for a few beers and to celebrate All-Ireland number 37 :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement