Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grobags or alternatives?

Options
  • 26-02-2014 10:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭

I have 2 Grobags for the babs and find them brilliant and am convinced they help him sleep better (they are "the gro company". I paid €17.50 each for them in last amazon family event last year and will plan on buying them in the next one! I see amazon sell another brand called the "slumber sac". I also see them penneys/dunnes/ m and s etc. Are "Grobags" worth the extra price tag?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

I haven't used the grobag brand ones but I'm more than happy with how the dunnes one is working out for €10. I'm always sad when they're in the wash and I've to go back to blankets!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

I have one I got from mothercare for €19, and a grobag - tbh, I prefer the mothercare one. The sleeves on the mothercare one close with poppers, so you don't have to try to "dress" a sleepy baby, getting his arms in the sleeves of tho grobag can wake him up. Warmth wise I don't think there's a difference. I haven't tried the penneys/dunnes ones, but I will be checking how they close if I buy one!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

nikpmup wrote: »
    I have one I got from mothercare for €19, and a grobag - tbh, I prefer the mothercare one. The sleeves on the mothercare one close with poppers, so you don't have to try to "dress" a sleepy baby, getting his arms in the sleeves of tho grobag can wake him up. Warmth wise I don't think there's a difference. I haven't tried the penneys/dunnes ones, but I will be checking how they close if I buy one!

I think my grobags is like you mothercare one? It has to poppers on the shoulder? I find it so handy for nappy changing in the middle of the night as just unzip the bottom but leave in on babs at the top! Slummersac are doing 2 for £20 on their site
    www.slumbersac.co.uk/offers-offers.html

kandr10 wrote: »
    I haven't used the grobag brand ones but I'm more than happy with how the dunnes one is working out for €10. I'm always sad when they're in the wash and I've to go back to blankets!

My babs kicks off blankets! I saw a dunnes one in the sale for €4, I should of bought it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

Millem wrote: »
    I think my grobags is like you mothercare one? It has to poppers on the shoulder? I find it so handy for nappy changing in the middle of the night as just unzip the bottom but leave in on babs at the top! Slummersac are doing 2 for £20 on their site
    www.slumbersac.co.uk/offers-offers.html

Millem you are the BEST for these offers! :D

I've just had my boy in blankets so far, we did get a Dunnes grobag yoke as a gift, will give it a go and let you know how we get on!

• Advertisement

The mothercare one zips around the bottom and up the side, with poppers on the top of the sleeve http://www.mothercare.ie/mothercare-cars-sleeping-bag-2-5-tog.html It opens up totally flat and you fold it over and do it up.

Millem you are the BEST for these offers! :D

I've just had my boy in blankets so far, we did get a Dunnes grobag yoke as a gift, will give it a go and let you know how we get on!

I am thinking of getting 2x 6-18 months for £20 so inc parcel motel it is €28ish! So €14 each :)

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭lolademmers

kandr10 wrote: »

I bought ons to see how it went. I have a wriggly baby who always kicks off blankets. I bought two more so when one is in the wash I don't have to go back to blankets. Just penny's and dunnes ones.

The mothercare one zips around the bottom and up the side, with poppers on the top of the sleeve http://www.mothercare.ie/mothercare-cars-sleeping-bag-2-5-tog.html It opens up totally flat and you fold it over and do it up.

That looks exactly like my Grobags. http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007HZNA7Q/ref=noref?ie=UTF8&psc=1&s=baby

A couple of mornings I woke up to find him in the Moses basket, kicking his legs in the air and the blankets on his face, even though I tucked them in well. Gave me an awful fright, so it's grobags all the way now! He likes them I think :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

We have 2 gro company ones like this. We also have a gro company one with arm holes and a zip up the middle. Like you, I prefer the open out ones, my husband prefers the other one. He has it in his head that it's less fiddly.

After we gave up on cellulars(she loved kicking them off!) We used a dunnes, penneys and tesco one before moved her to the cot. We were able to get shorter ones that fit in her Moses basket. Think the penneys and tesco one had armholes. The dunnes one was the softest and looked the warmest but was marked as 2.5 tog, so was the tesco one. I don't remember if the Penneys one had a tog rating on it. They were all gifts so I don't know how they compare price wise. I think the gro company ones wash better than them and the length is better for us too. Saying that, I keep an eye out for them in TK Maxx and have never paid full price for the gro ones.

A couple of mornings I woke up to find him in the Moses basket, kicking his legs in the air and the blankets on his face, even though I tucked them in well. Gave me an awful fright, so it's grobags all the way now! He likes them I think :)

It's so scary. I'm so careful with all the cot-death recommendations, but we went to the shops yesterday in the car, I can't see him in the car seat, and when we got home he'd somehow gotten his hat off and it was sitting on his face! Ffs, I don't know how he manages it, he's six weeks old!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I liked the ikea style ones as well... When the baby gets bigger, mine could get out of the popper ones like grobag, but she never managed to get out of the ikea ones with the crossover front and zip on the side.

http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/catalog/categories/departments/childrens_ikea/22157/

Roesy wrote: »
    We have 2 gro company ones like this. We also have a gro company one with arm holes and a zip up the middle. Like you, I prefer the open out ones, my husband prefers the other one. He has it in his head that it's less fiddly.

After we gave up on cellulars(she loved kicking them off!) We used a dunnes, penneys and tesco one before moved her to the cot. We were able to get shorter ones that fit in her Moses basket. Think the penneys and tesco one had armholes. The dunnes one was the softest and looked the warmest but was marked as 2.5 tog, so was the tesco one. I don't remember if the Penneys one had a tog rating on it. They were all gifts so I don't know how they compare price wise. I think the gro company ones wash better than them and the length is better for us too. Saying that, I keep an eye out for them in TK Maxx and have never paid full price for the gro ones.

I never even realised the had zip down the middle ones! The gro company ones wash real well. I have two so if one is in was I still have one :) I think in tk max they are around €20 each?

It's so scary. I'm so careful with all the cot-death recommendations, but we went to the shops yesterday in the car, I can't see him in the car seat, and when we got home he'd somehow gotten his hat off and it was sitting on his face! Ffs, I don't know how he manages it, he's six weeks old!

Every time I'm out, my lad does this! I've given up, I just dress him in jackets with hoods now. You can get mirrors to see him in the back seat for about 8 yo yos in smyths, like this one
    pwurple wrote: »
    I liked the ikea style ones as well... When the baby gets bigger, mine could get out of the popper ones like grobag, but she never managed to get out of the ikea ones with the crossover front and zip on the side.

http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/catalog/categories/departments/childrens_ikea/22157/

I have an ikea one as we'll (gift) but haven't used it yet - the top feels stiff and the crossover front put me off!! I'll give it a go though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

I just used pennys dunnes and heatons. Where ever was the cheapest. I got them in diffetent togs too for summer and winter.
    My daughter is in a bed now and due no 2. Unfortunetly hes going to be wearing pink 1s as i didnt think to buy neutral 1s. Most of the ones i have have poppers on the shoulders and open all d way down the side and halfway across the bottom.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭cant26

Have used ones from dunnes, penny's and the branded grobag. They were all rated 2.5tog so no difference in warmth. I found the 'grobag' ones washed better. They still looked like new after months of use and plenty of washes. I have them packed away for whenever we may need them again! The dunnes and penny's ones don't wash as well, especially the dunnes one. It looks very worn and i only have it a month. I got my 'grobags' in tk maxx. Think they were €18 euro.

I never even realised the had zip down the middle ones! The gro company ones wash real well. I have two so if one is in was I still have one :) I think in tk max they are around €20 each?

We have three gro ones on the go at the moment. We got the zip up the middle in the boots 3 for 2 offer when we were buying the steriliser and and something else more expensive so that was our free item. The other two were €18/20 in TK maxx. We needed the 3rd one on the go because our little lady is guaranteed to have pooed before she wakes and moves around a lot in her sleep so we often have leakage :( It washes out perfectly and they all still look in great condition(if a little wrinkly!)

Can you tumble dry the grobag branded ones? My sister gave me hers, I'm only using it 2 days so I haven't washed it yet. The mothercare one can be tumble dried - I think they go stiff and hard if they are dried naturally; if I could even throw it in the dryer for ten mins to fluff it up that'd be great.

Just checked and it says tumble dry on low heat. Like all her clothes, I usually dry on the clothes horse and then put them in the dryer on gentle for 20/30 mins to soften them.

• Advertisement

I'm not as organised as that, everything he owns gets chucked in the dryer! I melted three plastic-backed bibs there last week! Housewife of the year!!!!

It scares me reading about these super-moms. Dry them on the clothes horse and then again in the dryer? Jaysus. Where do you get the time?!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

The best one we have was a gift from France.I've googled the brand but no joy but it's just brilliant. I've found tk maxx good for cheaper branded gro bags but IME there's little. difference. between the cheap Dunnes style and the "proper" ones.

I'm not as organised as that, everything he owns gets chucked in the dryer! I melted three plastic-backed bibs there last week! Housewife of the year!!!!

Erra, that's because I shrank a load of her baby clothes before she was born. A load of 0-3 months became newborn size after I put them in wet into a dryer. It annoyed me so much that she got so little wear out of a good few things because of it. I could probably try them on a gentle heat I suppose.

It scares me reading about these super-moms. Dry them on the clothes horse and then again in the dryer? Jaysus. Where do you get the time?!

Not sure but baby hasn't ended up naked due to lack of dry, soft clothes yet :p

I dry most of our stuff this way. Underwear, socks, towels, bed clothes are the only things that get regularly tumble dried. Every so often if I'm a bit behind I'll throw other stuff in when it's half dry to free up the clothes horse.

Just checked and it says tumble dry on low heat. Like all her clothes, I usually dry on the clothes horse and then put them in the dryer on gentle for 20/30 mins to soften them.

I can't bear to look at clothes horses in the house! So I put clothes on the horse in evening in kitchen, close the door (to keep heat in) then in morning finish them off in dryer. It is great for getting rid of dog hairs lol! Grobags take longer than clothes to dry :(

I can't bear to look at clothes horses in the house! So I put clothes on the horse in evening in kitchen, close the door (to keep heat in) then in morning finish them off in dryer. It is great for getting rid of dog hairs lol! Grobags take longer than clothes to dry :(

I just keep it in the spare room. Hate looking at them too. I hate clothes on rads more though. Every rad in my aunts house is usually covered. We don't have rads though or my OH would definitely be hanging stuff on them. Yay for underfloor heating. Must get a washing line sorted for good drying days.

I just keep it in the spare room. Hate looking at them too. I hate clothes on rads more though. Every rad in my aunts house is usually covered. We don't have rads though or my OH would definitely be hanging stuff on them. Yay for underfloor heating. Must get a washing line sorted for good drying days.

I don't dry on rads either I thought you weren't meant to for ventilation? Love my washing lines! I have 2! Have a wash on them as we speak, you can't beat it for the freshness :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

We have dunnes ones we've used on both boys. I wouldn't spend money on the branded ones.

The one thing is....dont get the ones with the buttons on the shoulders. Our eldest used to stand on the end and pop the buttons so he could escape and try cock his leg over the cot. Make sure they have zips.

Advertisement