Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grobags or alternatives?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Drdoc

I've used gro company and mothercare and found they've washed really well. Got a tesco one and it was destroyed after 1 wash, all the padding in it went into lumps.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Drdoc wrote: »
    I've used gro company and mothercare and found they've washed really well. Got a tesco one and it was destroyed after 1 wash, all the padding in it went into lumps.

After a bit of googling I read that too about the other sleeping bags. Our "grobags" are in perfect condition and I reckon still be in perfect condition by the time he is on next size.

Has anyone heard of slummersacs? Can't find much info online.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

I used Dunnes ones and found they washed really well. My sister had Ben given a Grobag and bought Dunnes ones herself and found they washed and wore the same.
    Down to personal preference I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Wooha

Shoot. I just bought two from penneys but they are only 1.5 tog...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

Wooha wrote: »

If you can't exchange them they might be good for the odd hot day we get in the summer if baby hasn't outgrown them.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Wooha wrote: »
    Extra fleecy babygro underneath and you might get away with it?

The best ever are merino wool sleep bags. Though they are about €70 :eek:. Very very dear. My sister had them for her babies and I get them now as a special baby gift for family babies. They regulate temperature due to the pure wool, breathable and so soft. But I use a pennys one and its grand, stood up to a lot of wear and tear!

I got a merino baby blanket that I use daily on him too, and lately my mother sent me merino vests that I put under his popper vests for extra layer in this weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

Neyite wrote: »

The best ever are merino wool sleep bags. Though they are about €70 :eek:. Very very dear. My sister had them for her babies and I get them now as a special baby gift for family babies. They regulate temperature due to the pure wool, breathable and so soft. But I use a pennys one and its grand, stood up to a lot of wear and tear!

I got a merino baby blanket that I use daily on him too, and lately my mother sent me merino vests that I put under his popper vests for extra layer in this weather.

I didn't know that merino wool was so good! I've a load of knitting patterns that call for it but I've never used it.

Are u supposed to switch to lighter tog in summer or would the 2.5 do? ...stupid question maybe but not sure!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

We bought slumber sac directly from them a few weeks ago. Great quality and service was good. Think it was. Co.UK.
    They had a sale on.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nicowa

We used them for our oldest, but always added some blankets. Do ye do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭amor3

My "gro bags" are from dunnes, tesco's,pennys mothercare and others, no branded gro bag, have about 9, got given most of them from my sister 3 years ago and all have washed really well and will be used for the new arrival next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 highflyer30

Dunnes are great - 2.5 tog. Got one in ikea yesterday to try out for a change. Find he knows its bed for the night when he s in it. I worry too much to have a blanket on him!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

nicowa wrote: »

Apparently you're not supposed to, the tog rating is supposed to work with the room temp, ie, the room is 16-18 degrees, 2.5 tog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

nicowa wrote: »

I haven't started using GroBags yet (still on cellular blankets), but I wouldn't be inclined to add extra layers ... I'm always more worried about him being too warm than too cold!

I haven't started using GroBags yet (still on cellular blankets), but I wouldn't be inclined to add extra layers ... I'm always more worried about him being too warm than too cold!

I bought a twin pack of "grosuits" for the really cold nights that he wears with his "grobag". I would highly recommend them. I have the avent digital thermometer (it is brilliant and is also a bath thermometer) and one night it dropped to 15 degrees!! I now have heating come on in middle of night for an hour!

http://gro.co.uk/gro-suits/penguin-pop-gro-suit

They are basically a babygrow with padded arms! Got them in amazon family event €11!

Millem wrote: »
    I bought a twin pack of "grosuits" for the really cold nights that he wears with his "grobag". I would highly recommend them. I have the avent thermometer and one night it dropped to 15 degrees!! I now have heating come on in middle of night for an hour!

They are basically a babygrow with padded arms! Got them in amazon family event €11!

I started using our Gro-Egg thermometers when I went on maternity leave, and I was amazed at how warm (overly warm!) our house was most of the time when we were home, usually around 24-25 degrees!

I've readjusted our heating settings, so now we're around the 18-20 mark most of the time. Maybe not quite as warm as we'd like it, but better for baby. (One thing I'd recommend for new parents - install the thermometers and adjust the temperature in advance - rather than having to adjust the temperature and wear cardis and dressing gowns when baby arrives!)

I started using our Gro-Egg thermometers when I went on maternity leave, and I was amazed at how warm (overly warm!) our house was most of the time when we were home, usually around 24-25 degrees!

I've readjusted our heating settings, so now we're around the 18-20 mark most of the time. Maybe not quite as warm as we'd like it, but better for baby. (One thing I'd recommend for new parents - install the thermometers and adjust the temperature in advance - rather than having to adjust the temperature and wear cardis and dressing gowns when baby arrives!)

I did that too I used to bring it around with me! We were the opposite our rooms were 16ish as OH is always real warm (currently he is in tee shirt lol and it is 19 degrees!) I found some nights in January/February very cold like cars were icy next morning!

I bought a twin pack of "grosuits" for the really cold nights that he wears with his "grobag". I would highly recommend them. I have the avent digital thermometer (it is brilliant and is also a bath thermometer) and one night it dropped to 15 degrees!! I now have heating come on in middle of night for an hour!

I sometimes put baby leg warmers on his arms if I think it is a bit chilly. I find them quite handy.

Neyite wrote: »

Might leave it until the summer. I find the neck/chest is quite open. The one we're using now is a lot more snug there.

I have some merino vests and a babygrow, they are great!
    They had merino sleeping bags on zulily two weeks ago I think for 40 euro. Wish I had gotten one now.

I am thinking of getting 2x 6-18 months for £20 so inc parcel motel it is €28ish! So €14 each :)

and look what they have also:

http://www.slumbersac.co.uk/product-138-Long+Sleeves.html

that's the best ever :-)

I was in tk maxx today and grobags were €23 regardless of tog value. Was also in mothercare, penneys and dunnes and felt inside all their sleeping bags and I have to say they don't feel as thick or as nice as the gro company ones. I have 4 months till I actually need them but I reckon I may hold out for the next amazon family event and buy the gro company ones. (I just like to be super organised lol) Thanks a mil for all the replies :)

• Advertisement

I've just had my boy in blankets so far, we did get a Dunnes grobag yoke as a gift, will give it a go and let you know how we get on!

Finally got round to trying this last night. He's almost 8 weeks old, the size on the grobag was 0-6 months.

I woke up around 3am to him looking for a bottle ... and the grobag was right up over his face! I got such a fright, I did check when I was putting him to bed and the neckhole didn't seem big enough to fit over him ... he's a right little Houdini! :eek:

Anyways no harm done but we'll be sticking with the cellular blankets for another while yet I think! :o

(Oh but the Dunnes one did seem to wash well, from the one time we washed it before using it!!)

Finally got round to trying this last night. He's almost 8 weeks old, the size on the grobag was 0-6 months.

I woke up around 3am to him looking for a bottle ... and the grobag was right up over his face! I got such a fright, I did check when I was putting him to bed and the neckhole didn't seem big enough to fit over him ... he's a right little Houdini! :eek:

Anyways no harm done but we'll be sticking with the cellular blankets for another while yet I think! :o

(Oh but the Dunnes one did seem to wash well, from the one time we washed it before using it!!)

Ooh frightening! I didn't put the grobag on mine until he was about 12 weeks IIRC, around the time he started being able to kick the cellular blankets off, even if they were well tucked in.

That is scary! The gro company Grobags have a popper under either arm pit to make the smaller and tight for younger babies, there is no escaping out of his one lol lol. On a side note if anyone wants to buy Grobags I found this site which seems to be the cheapest for 2x 2.5tog free delivery to uk (so use parcel motel) £25 lots of other styles available but these are cheapest. (€34 inc delivery)
    http://www.babycurls.co.uk/grobag-sleeping-bags/grobag-2.5-tog-twin-packs/grobag-twin-pack-flo-freddy-owl-2.5-tog

nikpmup wrote: »
    Ooh frightening! I didn't put the grobag on mine until he was about 12 weeks IIRC, around the time he started being able to kick the cellular blankets off, even if they were well tucked in.

He's able to do that too, though. :o Even if they're well tucked in under the mattress! But at least he tends to kick them to the end of the cot ... better that that over his face!

That is scary! The gro company Grobags have a popper under either arm pit to make the smaller and tight for younger babies, there is no escaping out of his one lol lol. On a side note if anyone wants to buy Grobags I found this site which seems to be the cheapest for 2x 2.5tog free delivery to uk (so use parcel motel) £25 lots of other styles available but these are cheapest. (€34 inc delivery)
    http://www.babycurls.co.uk/grobag-sleeping-bags/grobag-2.5-tog-twin-packs/grobag-twin-pack-flo-freddy-owl-2.5-tog

Just found a coupon for 10% off enter SAVER at checkout so they come in at €27ish and just under €31 with parcel motel :) my new credit card should be here tomorrow so I am defo going to get them although debating whether to splash out a few extra €€ for a more colourful one lol :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

It scares me reading about these super-moms. Dry them on the clothes horse and then again in the dryer? Jaysus. Where do you get the time?!

I do this! Because we're both at work all day everything gets dried indoors, so in the evening I then chuck the little mans stuff in the dryer on a cool setting to soften it up :) and I'm in no way super! :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Some grobags have a minimum weight restriction, so even if it's 0-6 months it might be too big. I found that out myself with the little man, think he was 12-14 weeks before we could use them.

I have one I got from mothercare for €19, and a grobag - tbh, I prefer the mothercare one. The sleeves on the mothercare one close with poppers, so you don't have to try to "dress" a sleepy baby, getting his arms in the sleeves of tho grobag can wake him up. Warmth wise I don't think there's a difference. I haven't tried the penneys/dunnes ones, but I will be checking how they close if I buy one!

Is your grobag like this http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008FL5H22/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

Today Amazon had that've them reduced to £13.50 but it says they are "travel" Grobags? They also have "alphapet" one.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005CX2TZE/ref=gno_cart_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE
    I preferred the design so was going to get them instead but they seem a bit complicated. It says there are 2 zips and holes for the harness?

Is your grobag like this http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008FL5H22/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

Today Amazon had that've them reduced to £13.50 but it says they are "travel" Grobags? They also have "alphabet" one. I preferred the design so was going to get them instead but they seem a bit complicated. It says there are 2 zips and holes for the harness?

That's not the one I have, but I've seen these - there's literally a little hole in the back to pass a crotch strap through: the idea is that if you have a sleepy baby in someone's houseor out and about, you can put the baby, grobag and all, into the car seat and lift them straight into bed when you get home.

• Advertisement

That's not the one I have, but I've seen these - there's literally a little hole in the back to pass a crotch strap through: the idea is that if you have a sleepy baby in someone's houseor out and about, you can put the baby, grobag and all, into the car seat and lift them straight into bed when you get home.

Oh I get it! I thought it was instead of a footmuff! And I thought baby would need a coat for arms but body would overheat lol! Do you think they are better than the normal ones?

Advertisement