Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bad Bobs / Park Inn

Options
  • 26-02-2014 10:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭

CLOSING

From what I hear from one of the ex-bartenders, there was a deal in place for the bar to be sold, then the banks discovered what the staff were being paid and nixed the deal.

The lads are now staging a sit in and always looking for support, get the word out!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

That makes no sense, how would the staff costs kill a deal?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

Up2NoGood wrote: »
    CLOSING

From what I hear from one of the ex-bartenders, there was a deal in place for the bar to be sold, then the banks discovered what the staff were being paid and nixed the deal.

The lads are now staging a sit in and always looking for support, get the word out!

Sorry but your post doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. Why would the bank stop a sale because of staff pay? That would be the new owners problem and, in any case, the new owners would not be obliged to take on the old staff. The only thing the staff will achieve from a sit-in is that they will scare off buyers. I would have thought any new buyer would retain some or all of the old staff for the sake of continuity but this scenario wouldn't exactly endear the staff to a potential buyer.

If the issue is unpaid wages / redundancy there are legal remedies that should be pursued first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

Well said.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Up2NoGood

I am aware the original post doesn't make much sense, I am repeating what the lad has posted on FB, I was more or less posting to see if anyone else knew anything....Can you ^^ contribute or are you correcting papers?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭mozattack

The problem usually is that the bank wants the purchaser to retain the staff and with that comes the inherent later costs or redunancy which I believer were high up there with staff being there a long time.

Also it is hard for the new owner to come in and replace the staff without being hit with unfair dismissal cases so they quite rightly sometimes back out of the deal because these factors are too difficult to overcome.

That's Ireland for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,299 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

There's a gathering organised at the Park Inn tonight at 6pm for people to show support for the lads. If you can come along, please do!

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Smiley Burnett

who owes the staff the money etc??? some clarity required!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

They are trying to get a statutory payment. No notice given, just told the jobs are gone, place is closed. Thats what the sit in is about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭gobo99

And people wonder why business don't set up in waterford.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

The staff are entitled and will get statutory redundancy whether the present owner pays it or the state, there is no need for a sit in, as regards a sale they will never sell it as a going concern with the time in service the staff have it would be too expensive. The call has been made to close it and sell with no liabilities, harsh but they are the stark realities of commercial life.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭christy02

If it is not viable as a business then it should close. Harsh realities. Sit in will achieve nothing except put Waterford in a bad light again. Statutory payments will be made by the state. Perhaps if staff weren't on such high wages it may have been a viable business and would not be closing. Bar work is bar work and should be paid as such.

According to that article, the buyer involved was willing to take over the pub along with at least some of the staff, but this was vetoed by the bank, meaning everyone is out of work. Thats why people are upset about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭mozattack

Good two comments directly above.

Some people need to look at the big picture, sometimes staff rights are over the top - so much so that useless staff are kept because they cant be let go due to over the top labour rules

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭2SWEET

For all those saying the staff will still get statutory redundancy from the state, well it's not that simple if the employer hasn't issued RP50 form to them they will have a long road ahead even trying to get a social welfare payment won't be straight forward and as for redundancy payment that will take up to 14 months and a tribunal to be resolved. And yes I have been there and it's not a nice place to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭sparkling sea

2SWEET wrote: »
    For all those saying the staff will still get statutory redundancy from the state, well it's not that simple if the employer hasn't issued RP50 form to them they will have a long road ahead even trying to get a social welfare payment won't be straight forward and as for redundancy payment that will take up to 14 months and a tribunal to be resolved. And yes I have been there and it's not a nice place to be.

Is the employer refusing to pay redundancy or issue a RP50?

Is the employer refusing to pay redundancy or issue a RP50?

I'd say "who is the employer now" is a more pertinent question?

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭cookie.monster

the banks prob did this deliberate to sell on without the staff and gain a higher value for the premises, would'nt surprise me in the slightest

• Registered Users Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Cop on lads, how is having a sit in to try and protect yourelf from being out of a job with no payment putting waterford in a bad light? (apparently they have gone a few weeks without pay already, it doesnt sound right but thats what iv been told).

Anytime anyone stands up for themselves against the ill treatment inflicted on them by business's they are instantly accused of putting waterford in a bad light, and its not acceptable. Should people really be expected to accept this kind of treatment in this day and age?? honestly??

I could see your point if they were holding a company to ransom for extra pay but the premises is not even trading, i would also side with you of they were causing damage to the premises etc but they are not, Its a peaceful sit in.

They have been evicted from work with no notice and being left to sort out the problems being imposed on them due to this situation with out any guidence or measures put in place to ensure the stress caused by they're transition to immediate unemployment is as limited as possible.

Have some bloody courtesy for the people, some with families, that are being expelled from employment that they have serviced for years in a completely unacceptable and uncivil manner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

Not meaning to be inciteful here but what is the difference between the staff of the park inn and say the staff of T&H's or the grand hotel or somewhere like that? The staff of T&H's were told it was closing five minutes before it actually closed.

This sit in seems like a fruitless endeavour to me. I feel for them but I'm
    not sure what they're expecting to happen.

• Advertisement

Not meaning to be inciteful here but what is the difference between the staff of the park inn and say the staff of T&H's or the grand hotel or somewhere like that? The staff of T&H's were told it was closing five minutes before it actually closed.

This sit in seems like a fruitless endeavour to me. I feel for them but I'm
    not sure what they're expecting to happen.

They are protesting because there was a deal in place to sell the pub and keep most of the staff on, but this was vetoed by the bank. They were then told with no notice period that the pub was closing and they were all gone. Considering some of them have been there upwards of 15 years, I think they're well within their rights to try to make sure they get the payoff they are entitled to. If the staff in T&H's didnt take a stand, thats their own decision. Doesnt mean the lads in the Park shouldnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭sparkling sea

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    They are protesting because there was a deal in place to sell the pub and keep most of the staff on, but this was vetoed by the bank. They were then told with no notice period that the pub was closing and they were all gone. Considering some of them have been there upwards of 15 years, I think they're well within their rights to try to make sure they get the payoff they are entitled to. If the staff in T&H's didnt take a stand, thats their own decision. Doesnt mean the lads in the Park shouldnt.

From WLR FM - Hundreds of people have gathered outside a Waterford City pub in solidarity with staff members who are engaging in a sit in at the premises.Yesterday the workers at the Park Inn on Paddy Brown's Road were informed that the pub was closing with immediate effect. It's was built by Robert Tweedy Senior 40 years ago and was put on the market last May with a 650 thousand euro asking price. Mr Tweedy's attorney issued a statement this afternoon saying it was with regret that he had to inform staff of the closure. Gerry Halley says all efforts made to resolve the problems with the bank have failed and because there is no money they were left with no other option but to close. He says the staff have been paid up to date and that they are assisting the staff, as requested by them, with their Application for Redundancy.

I'm a bit lost on this one, the above seems to imply that the staff will recieve all that is due to them. Are the staff protesting because the banks won't agree to Mr Tweedys proposal ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

So...they are all paid up to date...and they will get redundancies...

It's funny, in all of this I haven't heard anyone thanking Bob Tweedy Sr for providing so much employment in the area for 40 years.

From WLR FM - Hundreds of people have gathered outside a Waterford City pub in solidarity with staff members who are engaging in a sit in at the premises.Yesterday the workers at the Park Inn on Paddy Brown's Road were informed that the pub was closing with immediate effect. It's was built by Robert Tweedy Senior 40 years ago and was put on the market last May with a 650 thousand euro asking price. Mr Tweedy's attorney issued a statement this afternoon saying it was with regret that he had to inform staff of the closure. Gerry Halley says all efforts made to resolve the problems with the bank have failed and because there is no money they were left with no other option but to close. He says the staff have been paid up to date and that they are assisting the staff, as requested by them, with their Application for Redundancy.

I'm a bit lost on this one, the above seems to imply that the staff will recieve all that is due to them. Are the staff protesting because the banks won't agree to Mr Tweedys proposal ?

It said completely different in the Waterford News & Star yesterday. I've no idea to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭Bringthethunder

It's funny, in all of this I haven't heard anyone thanking Bob Tweedy Sr for providing so much employment in the area for 40 years.

Sorry about that. Thanks Bob Tweedy! Better now?

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭albert kidd

or thanking him for the countless small buisnesses in waterford that never got paid due to the money he owed when things went tits up with him.

K 3 alive and well

or thanking him for the countless small buisnesses in waterford that never got paid due to the money he owed when things went tits up with him.

I'll think you'll find that was his son Bob junior but no point in letting the truth get in the way like most of this thread of ill informed hearsay and downright stupidity.

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭albert kidd

wellboytoo wrote: »
    I'll think you'll find that was his son Bob junior but no point in letting the truth get in the way like most of this thread of ill informed hearsay and downright stupidity.

i think you'll find it was both.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭kilkennycat2004

I hope the staff get what their entitlements, nothing more, nothing less.
    However this type of rent a mob to support a hopeless cause does nothing for Waterford.
    Tweedy & The Park Inn are now history, The lads need to prepare to get organised alright, organised to get in position A for the upcoming job search!

Advertisement