Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PR visa app from Ireland

Options
  • 26-02-2014 10:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭

So myself and my partner are in Australia a few years and are now looking to apply for permanent residency.
    Both our visas will be out in the next few months and so we are planning on returning home and making a PR application from Ireland.
    Has anyone any experience of the application process, particularly when applying from home.
    What companies would u recommend? What was the approx. cost? How long did it take?

Any advice at all would be greatly appreciated. The whole thing is looking very daunting at the moment!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,337 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Are you aware that you can apply before the visas run out and stay here while it's decided.

What visa are you applying for?
    Sone of them there are straight forward and it's worry doing it yourself to save a few thousand.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Windorah

Hi Mellor,

Thanks for the reply. To be honest we are completely clueless about the whole process.
    My profession is on the list in all states so we were looking at state sponsored pr ?! and then he would go defacto on my visa.
    Any advice on how to get the ball rolling?! Is it just a case of getting skills assessed and then taking it from there? Would I be better off to start it while here or at home? We were considering leaving sometime this (Australian) winter. Any idea of estimated cost?!

As I said I am completely clueless!!!

Thanks again:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Windorah wrote: »
    Hi Mellor,

Thanks for the reply. To be honest we are completely clueless about the whole process.
    My profession is on the list in all states so we were looking at state sponsored pr ?! and then he would go defacto on my visa.
    Any advice on how to get the ball rolling?! Is it just a case of getting skills assessed and then taking it from there? Would I be better off to start it while here or at home? We were considering leaving sometime this (Australian) winter. Any idea of estimated cost?!

As I said I am completely clueless!!!

Thanks again:)

You would be better off getting in contact with a registered migration agent. They may charge you a fee of around $100(obligation free)..but some offer consultations to help you decide which visa is most suitable to your situation and requirements. All visa applications will be different when it comes to cost but agent will be able to give you proper information about all of this. You could spend weeks researching this stuff yourself and getting all sorts of bad information and advice from people who think they know what they're talking about or just go straight to someone whose job it is to know the correct information...its up to you really. Have a look at www.mara.gov.au for agents.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

aido79 wrote: »
    You would be better off getting in contact with a registered migration agent. They may charge you a fee of around $100(obligation free)..but some offer consultations to help you decide which visa is most suitable to your situation and requirements. All visa applications will be different when it comes to cost but agent will be able to give you proper information about all of this. You could spend weeks researching this stuff yourself and getting all sorts of bad information and advice from people who think they know what they're talking about or just go straight to someone whose job it is to know the correct information...its up to you really. Have a look at www.mara.gov.au for agents.

It's not really that difficult to do anymore. All the information is there and immigration make it pretty easy to figure out what visa is best for you.

Migration Agents are generally a waste of money. Any information I got from them I already knew from doing a quick search online. They charge a fortune and don't really offer much as you still have to pretty much do everything yourself anyway.

To Windorah:

Have a look at these pages on the immigration website. There's also plenty of information on the skilled migration sticky thread on this forum aswell to help you get started.

https://www.immi.gov.au/Visas/Pages/189.aspx

http://www.immi.gov.au/Visas/Pages/190.aspx

My suggestion would be to get your Skills assessment ASAP. That for me was the most important thing to have sorted. You'll be making the defacto application at the same time as your application also. Don't do it after visa grant as it'll cost a lot more. All the costings are available on immigration a website.

For 189 it's $3520 for application and $1800 for defacto. Then you'll need to factor in skills assessment (varies depending on profession), medicals for both you and your partner, IELTS test if it's required for points and other smaller fees such as Garda Clearance and AFP clearance.

The more you get completed onshore before going back to Ireland the easier it will be for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

irishmover wrote: »
    It's not really that difficult to do anymore. All the information is there and immigration make it pretty easy to figure out what visa is best for you.

Migration Agents are generally a waste of money. Any information I got from them I already knew from doing a quick search online. They charge a fortune and don't really offer much as you still have to pretty much do everything yourself anyway.

To Windorah:

Have a look at these pages on the immigration website. There's also plenty of information on the skilled migration sticky thread on this forum aswell to help you get started.

https://www.immi.gov.au/Visas/Pages/189.aspx

http://www.immi.gov.au/Visas/Pages/190.aspx

My suggestion would be to get your Skills assessment ASAP. That for me was the most important thing to have sorted. You'll be making the defacto application at the same time as your application also. Don't do it after visa grant as it'll cost a lot more. All the costings are available on immigration a website.

For 189 it's $3520 for application and $1800 for defacto. Then you'll need to factor in skills assessment (varies depending on profession), medicals for both you and your partner, IELTS test if it's required for points and other smaller fees such as Garda Clearance and AFP clearance.

The more you get completed onshore before going back to Ireland the easier it will be for you.

I agree that if you are willing to spend the time doing the research then it is not necessary to use a migration agent but the op said they are clueless so a migration agent would be able to point them in the right direction. Even with a migration agent you do most of the work yourself anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

I know of 2 people that did their own paperwork and were rejected and it seems likely that a migration agent would have been the difference.

One case was an engineer I know. His partner filled out all his paperwork and put him down as an engineering professional. His degree states Engineering Technologist and as the two didn't match it was rejected.

The other incident was a friend who studied Construction Management and worked for several years as a surveyor (partly what his degree entailed) and was rejected as the work and his stated title on his degree didn't match up exactly.

It's a lot of money to spend to get rejected on something small.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,337 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

pete4130 wrote: »
    I know of 2 people that did their own paperwork and were rejected and it seems likely that a migration agent would have been the difference.
    I did my own paper work, as did a lot of posters here. It's pretty easy.
    The job title from both my 457 & PR doesn't match my degree either.

There's no such job title as Engineering professional on the SOL. That's probably why he got rejected. That can't happen now that applications are online. If the second guy didn't have a surveying degree, he prob failed his skills assessment. That's not really something small.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Phil UGC

I'd agree that migration agents aren't necessary, but if you are not going to use one you really do need to research very thoroughly. It wasn't a very enjoyable process when I did it, but that was over 15 years ago so I will defer to those that have gone through the process more recently...

pete4130 wrote: »
    The other incident was a friend who studied Construction Management and worked for several years as a surveyor (partly what his degree entailed) and was rejected as the work and his stated title on his degree didn't match up exactly.

It's a lot of money to spend to get rejected on something small.

Construction management is not the same as a Surveying degree. Did he get his skills assessment passed by SSSI? I'd be surprised if he did but then again if he's got a considerable amount of years experience directly in surveying and could have proven it then he may have passed the skills assessment.

Construction Management doesn't really prepare someone to work with propogation of error, and the theoretical side of Surveying so it shouldn't be considered the same.

So it would have meant he got a degree in one profession and a skills assessment in another profession. I'm guessing he needed his degree to accumulate points? Makes sense why he didn't get his visa and really something he should have known himself. But yes a Migration agent who knew their stuff definitely would have pointed that out.
    Phil UGC wrote: »
    I'd agree that migration agents aren't necessary, but if you are not going to use one you really do need to research very thoroughly. It wasn't a very enjoyable process when I did it, but that was over 15 years ago so I will defer to those that have gone through the process more recently...

Yeh the application process is now fully online. I think prior to SkillSelect I definitely would have went a migration agent route. But Immigation are making it very easy these days. Almost on purpose to put migration agents put of a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Phil UGC

irishmover wrote: »

Yeh the application process is now fully online. I think prior to SkillSelect I definitely would have went a migration agent route. But Immigation are making it very easy these days. Almost on purpose to put migration agents put of a job.

Interesting. I guess it may be to also cut their own staff numbers, and after what I experienced: good riddance to those inept, petty bureaucrats. Glad to hear the process is relatively painless now.

• Advertisement

Hi guys,

Thanks a million for all the helpful replies. Himself paid 300 dollars to see a migration lawyer and I have learnt more from ye! That could be more my boyfriends fault than the lawyer though:p

People had suggested doing it without an agent which i would never have considered but just browsing those sites it does look much more straight forward than I would have thought.

This weekend I plan on getting fully stuck into it. No doubt ill be back with more questions!

Windorah wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Thanks a million for all the helpful replies. Himself paid 300 dollars to see a migration lawyer and I have learnt more from ye! That could be more my boyfriends fault than the lawyer though:p

People had suggested doing it without an agent which i would never have considered but just browsing those sites it does look much more straight forward than I would have thought.

This weekend I plan on getting fully stuck into it. No doubt ill be back with more questions!

This should point you in the right direction. I see you're a teacher from your earlier posts is that right?

Well here's the website for the assessing authority for teaching. Have a read through and it'll give you an indication of whats required of you to ensure you pass the assessment.

http://www.aitsl.edu.au/assessment-for-migration.html

I live in Brisbane (northside) and am free on Saturday if you and your partner require any help. Just send me a PM on here and can arrange something if you like.

Irishmover

Thanks so much! Imma hound u with questions! Ah no but we may take u up on the help!

Thanks!

Advertisement