Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Reviews on Nokia Lumia 620

• 26-02-2014 12:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭

Thinking of buying the above phone from 02 as its on clearance and I can buy it for 103 euro.
    At the moment Have an old Sony Ericsson phone think its experia 8.
    All I use my phone for is Facebook and yahoo mail texting calling and taking photos. The odd time I watch youtube and use the Sat Nav if Im lost.
    Whats has been the cons and pros?
    Whats the keyboard size like for texting?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40 JamesTC

Had the 620 for a while before I got the 1020 and it's a good phone for the price, windows phone generally runs fast on both high and low end phones (unlike Android)

For what you want to use it for:
    Facebook: the native app is a bit poor, get the Faebook Beta app but overall not as good as the Android app
    Yahoo Mail: No problems
    Camera: The Camera s ok, nothing special but competent.
    YouTube: You will need a 3rd party app like Metrotube or YouTube HD but they work fine
    Sat Nav: A big plus for the 620, has Nokia`s Here maps which are easy to use and work very well they can be downloaded so you don't need to have a network connection or use your data to use maps
    Keyboard for Texting: Is ok, it's not a big phone and the windows keyboard (which cannot be changed with a 3rd party app) is capable without being great.

Pros:
    Cheep
    Nice pocket sized phone
    Expandable storage with micro SD
    Changeable Covers for when you get board of the look
    Simple OS that runs well on the phone
    Nokia Here maps and other Nokia apps

Cons:
    Apps: This very much depends on the user; some people like me are happy with the apps available on Windows phone but coming from Android you may find it frustrating (no bank apps in Ireland for example)
    No 4g/LTE may not be an issue depending on where you are but be aware 3g is as fast as you will get with this phone.
    No wireless changing even as an expendable option

I gave my old 620 to my father as he hated his old Samsung Galaxy S II and he loves the Nokia, so overall it suits some people better than others. But at the price point you are looking at Windows phone will probably be a better bet than Android.

Just as an option if you don't have to have a `new` phone the 920 second hand from various sites could be a better buy, same OS but more features and is still getting updates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭LovexxLife

Thats Great review!!
    And is it still running fast with your dad? And can you get updates still on it? And does the screen scratch easily?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Windows Phone don't suffer from the slowdown that Androids do, so it will run as fast as the day you get it no matter how long you have it

As stated above Windows phone OS does not slow down over time like Android does so no concerns there.

Re: Updates, well yes all updates will be pushed out over the air but it can depend on the region setting and the network provider, as an example the last update was the `black` update which was rolled out to the top end devices (1020, 920, 925 etc) nearly two months ago but the 620 is only starting that roll out now (could be a few months yet depending on the settings mentioned above) so being med to low end means back of the line for the latest OS updates.

Had no problems with the screen myself, if you are concerned about scratching than you can get this http://www.nokia.com/gb-en/accessories/accessory/cc-3061/ for the phone which has raised edges around the screen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I'd add no FM radio and a small battery to that list of cons.

A good deal otherwise. No data required for maps/satnav. Nice phone sized phone. Windows Phone is a better "Phone" than Android. Its more limited for techie users if you like to change things around a lot. I don't think the Windows Phones apps are of the same quality as the Android ones. But I love how quick it is compared to Android.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭LovexxLife

beauf wrote: »
    a small battery to that list of cons.
    Windows Phone is a better "Phone" than Android. Its more limited for techie users if you like to change things around a lot. I don't think the Windows Phones apps are of the same quality as the Android ones. But I love how quick it is compared to Android.

I thought Nokias would have great battery life. Can you put up like a photo as your wall paper? I went instore to test out the windows type of programme wasnt this phone, and I didnt really like its layout. So I brought a Sony Xperia M to try for the week and if I dont like return it and might give the Nokia a whirl

The battery is ok, but it's small (because the phone is small) it is removable though so you can have a spare battery if you are going to be a heaver user.
    There is no wallpaper background in windows phone 8 (there will be in 8.1, with see through tiles) you just get a tile layout of which you can change the size and colour. The only place you can put an image is the lock screen.

The windows OS will be the exact same on a Nokia as it is on a Samsung or HTC, they do not change like Android where each manufacture puts it own heavily edited version of Android on, this is why the windows OS is faster and less problematic on lower end hardware, it is less customizable .

Advertisement