Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Apple type for Apple pie

Options
  • 26-02-2014 1:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭

Hi all

Apologies if I'm posting this in the wrong section.

I'm wondering what type of apples do you use for Apple Pie?

I've been using Bramley cooking apples, which is what the supermarkets are selling, but I find the apple filling can be quite sour, regardless of the amount of castor sugar I use.

I'd appreciate any tips / help on this.

Many Thanks,
    ellejay

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I always use Bramleys but you do need a lot of sugar with them. You could use Granny Smiths, they require much less sugar and also keep their shape.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 518 Mod ✭✭✭✭TheKBizzle

I use Braeburn apples as they have less moisture and tend to hold their shape better when cooking

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Phars

I use mainley Bramleys, leave them standing for at least 45 min with lots of sugar and cinnamon, drain them and put on even more sugar. Also I use Splenda powder at times to cut down on sugar. As I mainley make Dutch apple pie I would have raisins mixed in as well, I guess that makes the pie a bit sweeter as well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭ellejay

I always use Bramleys but you do need a lot of sugar with them. You could use Granny Smiths, they require much less sugar and also keep their shape.

Thanks Dizzy blonde
    I find I'm using at least 6 heaped tablespoons of sugar, it got to the stage where it's more like sugar pie. I feel bad adding so much sugar I'm hoping a not so bitter apple ,would require less sugar!

TheKBizzle wrote: »
    I use Braeburn apples as they have less moisture and tend to hold their shape better when cooking

Thanks TheBizzle
    I will definitely try to get some Braeburns.

• Advertisement

Phars wrote: »
    I use mainley Bramleys, leave them standing for at least 45 min with lots of sugar and cinnamon, drain them and put on even more sugar. Also I use Splenda powder at times to cut down on sugar. As I mainley make Dutch apple pie I would have raisins mixed in as well, I guess that makes the pie a bit sweeter as well

Hi Phars

When you say you leave them standing, wold you put them in a sieve and cover with sugar and cinnamon?

I've never added cinnamon, do you add cinnamon for a "cinimony" flavour or does it do something to make the pie less sour? How much do you add to say 4 big Bramley apples?

Thanks for the splenda tip.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Phars

Used google translate for my basic recepie, might give it an odd twist like a spoon of brandy with apples

Hi All

Just a quick update, made a lovely pie with Breburn apple's.
    Think next time i'll try a combination of Bramley and Braeburn.

Thank you all for your replies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭GoodBridge

A pastry chef told me "the only good cooking apple is a free cooking apple". He said he uses eating apples all the time: granny smiths, galas, even pink ladies if they're on offer.

Advertisement