Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade works to Parnell Street/Davis Street & Colbert Station

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Jofspring wrote: »
    They were supposed to but one of the staff in the post office told me recently that they are not anymore and are now looking at re-opening them.
    Worked so well the first time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

Those images show that stupid Italian limestone like on Bedford Row/Thomas St, I really hope that's just an artistic impression and not what they're actually planning on using. that stuff is deadly when wet.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

source wrote: »
    Those images show that stupid Italian limestone like on Bedford Row/Thomas St, I really hope that's just an artistic impression and not what they're actually planning on using. that stuff is deadly when wet.

It looks more like the stuff on William St to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

It looks more like the stuff on William St to me.

The Parnell St picture on the 2030 thread looks like William St, but the Davis St pic looks more like Bedford Row.

The Parnell St picture on the 2030 thread looks like William St, but the Davis St pic looks more like Bedford Row.

They're just artists impressions though. It dosn't mean they actually use the same stone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

I'd take the paving on Bedford Row over William Street. It's not THAT slippy and it looks so much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Vanquished

The paving used on Thomas Street and Bedford Row is a mixture of French limestone and Irish granite. In my experience it's the narrow bands of darker limestone used as trim in the paving design that can get a bit slippy but overall I've never found it too bad. Pretty much any natural stone used as paving gets somewhat slippery in wet conditions.

There's no doubting the quality of the stone used on Bedford Row and Thomas Street though. Most of it is down for around 10 years now and it looks as fresh and durable as ever. The cheaper concrete stuff used on Sarsfield Street and William Street on the other hand is no where near as hard wearing. Some slabs are noticeably damaged and it stains very very easily!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

The plans look lovely but omg there is going to be some bottleneck there as a result, its bad enough as it is...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 321 ✭✭DeWinterZero

Vanquished wrote: »
    The paving used on Thomas Street and Bedford Row is a mixture of French limestone and Irish granite. In my experience it's the narrow bands of darker limestone used as trim in the paving design that can get a bit slippy but overall I've never found it too bad. Pretty much any natural stone used as paving gets somewhat slippery in wet conditions.!

Only place I've slipped about town was on Thomas Street, thankfully no one saw my clown trick. :)
    I've also seen 2 people slip there. I used to walk on the bricked road if I was passing through there. Thankfully they sandblasted the pavement on Thomas Street last year to roughen up the stone and give a bit more grip.

Never had any problems with sliding on Bedford Row.

As for future upgrade works hopefully they've learnt their lesson and get stone suitable for wet Irish weather.

Are they going to knock all the boarded up council flats next to the station? That would make it a little less ghetto.

I was searching for other stuff and came across info on the refurbishment of the Hyde Rd flats next to the station.
    They've been sold to Cluid for a nominal fee of €1. Cluid will do the refurb and maintain them for 30 years and the council will nominate the tenants. http://www.limerick.ie/sites/default/files/atoms/files/disposal_of_land_-_hyde_road_apartment_complex_limerick.pdf

The 28 apartments will be reduced to 20, with work to start later this year and the first tenants in by July 2016.

http://www.limerick.ie/sites/default/files/atoms/files/report_on_redevelopment_of_housing_units_at_hyde_road.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

I was searching for other stuff and came across info on the refurbishment of the Hyde Rd flats next to the station.
    They've been sold to Cluid for a nominal fee of €1. Cluid will do the refurb and maintain them for 30 years and the council will nominate the tenants. http://www.limerick.ie/sites/default/files/atoms/files/disposal_of_land_-_hyde_road_apartment_complex_limerick.pdf

The 28 apartments will be reduced to 20, with work to start later this year and the first tenants in by July 2016.

http://www.limerick.ie/sites/default/files/atoms/files/report_on_redevelopment_of_housing_units_at_hyde_road.pdf

The red bricks are completely out of character with the rest of the area and stick out like yet another sore thumb should be rendered but I for one will be glad when this fiasco is finally finished with as nobody that lived there happily for years ever wanted to leave in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Doesn't look like it would be July 2016, it would be very ambitious to have tenants in by then when work would only be starting the end of this year.

Judging by that 2nd PDF, they don't appears they won't be knocking them down but instead refurbishing them.

Personally I would like to see them knocked as the level of refurbishment would need to be extreme.

I've noticed there are engineering markings painted on the footpath and road at the Mallow St./Parnell St Junction beside the park and at the Careys Rd/Hyde Rd. junction. I assume this means that at least the Hyde Rd realignment part of the project is about to start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

There's marking at the Roches Street end as well. I guess it means that this missed opportunity is going to go ahead soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

zulutango wrote: »
    There's marking at the Roches Street end as well. I guess it means that this missed opportunity is going to go ahead soon.

It goes all the way along Upper Gerald Griffin Street and Wickham Street too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,337 ✭✭✭✭phog

Some of the Roches St markings could be to do with this

phog wrote: »
    Some of the Roches St markings could be to do with this

It wouldn't be that. Part 8 submissions can be made up to July 8th, so it's nowhere near anything physical actually happening. The Part 8 for Parnell St/Hyde Rd. went through last summer.

Advertisement