Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Intern Places 2014

Options
  • 26-02-2014 2:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hello final years and well wishers

Jobs list comes out this Friday 28/02

Where's everyone hoping to go?

Picking a job or a location?

I've been advised to go for the job, so this has me considering venturing outside of Dublin to attempt to get an anesthetics post

Could we get a poll going mods?

And if anyone knows where does and doesn't pay over time my AIB manager would be grateful

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

In terms of Dublin, the Mater seems to be a popular choice so I imagine they must be paying OT. A few friends I've spoken to are pointedly applying for Tallaght and not James's, even though we'd have been placed equally in both, so I imagine there's a good reason for that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭tiredcity

Probably hoping for Vincents, Connolly or the Mater if all goes well! Naturally, after years of insisting there's no way I'm working Beaumont, the first job that jumps out on a quick glance is in Beaumont :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

I'm not applying for another year, but very glad to see that there's still a medicine/medicine/child and adolescent psych/surgery job going in Tallaght. I'd be all over that...

Oh, and SVUH has a psych/neuro combination. Nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭usersame

The neuro job in vinnies is very good, tubs is a great teacher and their psych is good too

lot of funny looking jobs in the mater, even a few combined with the Beacon!

Having 50 choices is a lovely surprise! can put down all my dream jobs with plenty room for insurance :)

There's 50 odd ED jobs so my list will basically fill itself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭etymon

tiredcity wrote: »
    Probably hoping for Vincents, Connolly or the Mater if all goes well! Naturally, after years of insisting there's no way I'm working Beaumont, the first job that jumps out on a quick glance is in Beaumont :)

ahahah samesies... but only one job... dunno can I do any more Croi na B though

• Advertisement

etymon wrote: »
    ahahah samesies... but only one job... dunno can I do any more Croi na B though

We all know that's not its real name.

You, me and Beaumont. What could possibly go wrong? #Gategate2015 #Thelegendlives

Going to have a proper look through the list after Monday but looking forward to the next step, getting lost in unfamiliar hospitals and hopefully meeting some of you along the way :)

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭medicine12345

Hi everyone, good luck with getting the places you want most. Just wondering how competitive it generally is for the ones with a GP stint included?

Hi everyone, good luck with getting the places you want most. Just wondering how competitive it generally is for the ones with a GP stint included?

I've heard pretty competitive 'cause as far as I remember it gets you an additional tick on the GP assessment form at application. However, the practical advice I've had from the GPs I've done placements with is to max out on intern year and focus on the big stuff like cardiology, resp etc as there's no guarantee you'll definitely do much of that once you're on the scheme and obviously out in practice having a good grounding is essential. Depends on what and where your goal is. I'm a GEP, came back specifically to do GP and want to ideally get in straight after intern so whether or not to apply for GP intern is going to be something I'll need to muse over a bit I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 spongebob3636

hey all.. great thread

Yeah does anyone know what hospitals pay overtime??

Also i've heard mixed things about James's...is it really that bad? or is it just another medicine rumour? there are a few jobs there that i'd be interested in.... Is is that it's a very busy hospital, hours wise? or is it no-overtime pay that is turning people off going there?

Thanks in advance if anyone has any tips :)

hey all.. great thread

Yeah does anyone know what hospitals pay overtime??

Also i've heard mixed things about James's...is it really that bad? or is it just another medicine rumour? there are a few jobs there that i'd be interested in.... Is is that it's a very busy hospital, hours wise? or is it no-overtime pay that is turning people off going there?

Thanks in advance if anyone has any tips :)

James's is a big busy hospital, just like most tertiary hospitals! I know a few that are there now and they love it, good support etc, hours varied depending on the job. They pay all rostered and unrosterd OT in my friends' experience

• Advertisement

Yup they're competitive, but it seems Galway and few others have added them so it mightn't be too bad! But Cork and Dublin def competitive for GP

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭nerrad01

does anyone happen to know what the avg hours are like for an intern?? i KNow it depends of the jobs you pick but 50-60 hours a week be normal??

nerrad01 wrote: »
    does anyone happen to know what the avg hours are like for an intern?? i KNow it depends of the jobs you pick but 50-60 hours a week be normal??

Some jobs would be 40, some can be 100+, average I would guess would be 45-60, but a lot of the posts are fine hours wise. I know the mater can be insane from time to time

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭nerrad01

usersame wrote: »
    Some jobs would be 40, some can be 100+, average I would guess would be 45-60, but a lot of the posts are fine hours wise. I know the mater can be insane from time to time

im assuming the 100+ hours ones would be the likes of plastics etc with 1 in 3 call?? Any others??

nerrad01 wrote: »
    im assuming the 100+ hours ones would be the likes of plastics etc with 1 in 3 call?? Any others??

I'd just be speculating! I'm not an intern myself just going by what I hear

Anyone from trinners I can PM a question to?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 JoLeggy

Does anyone know anything about jobs in Galway? i.e which ones to avoid?!?!?!?

Need to rank my posts and be done with it. Keep hearing conflicting advice and spending ages staring at the list hoping they'll magically move into the perfect (extremely optimistic!) order. A job is a job, I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 mollyhooper

I'm the same. Keep second guessing myself! any ol tips for a country lass on who to avoid in Dublin?? PM me please!

Done done done, all over the place! Could end up literally anywhere

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭goldencrisp62

hey tired city, it might be a little late to post vetting today, it needed to be mailed in before 5pm

vetting.png

hey tired city, it might be a little late to post vetting today, it needed to be mailed in before 5pm

vetting.png

Ah yeah I know the deadline's today but I first posted it over a week ago so they have me registered as having it in for the right time, it's only an amended version I'm submitting on their request so apparently it'll be fine. Thanks though :)

posted my garda vetting on Tuesday for the first time, they best not bounce it back

Advertisement