Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Part 4 notice on payment window date only?

Options
  • 26-02-2014 3:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I think this is a silly question but I'm a bit below par today and not thinking too clearly. Sorry if this was covered elsewhere.

As my negotiations with my LL are not getting the result I need, I want to let the fixed tenancy expire and then give notice. Is the (6 wks in my case) notice served on the scheduled 'payment window' date? I presume so. I understand that we can mutually agree to shorter also.

Must it be in writing? Or if the agency respond by email to my email, as they have done with other negotiations, does that cover all parties sufficiently? I never see the point in registered letters where the content cannot be proven?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

why wait for your lease to expire and then give part 4 notice ?

Inform the LL now you wont be renewing the lease or continuing on a part 4 basis and leave at the end of the lease. I dont see why would would drag it on if you want to move out ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

D3PO wrote: »
    why wait for your lease to expire and then give part 4 notice ?

Inform the LL now you wont be renewing the lease or continuing on a part 4 basis and leave at the end of the lease. I dont see why would would drag it on if you want to move out ?

I don't see how this answers my question at all? What you are presuming is not within the remit of these questions AND your assumptions about me are wrong.

What part of 'negotiations' and 'not getting' (hint:present tense) do you not understand? AFAIK Boards is not a place where people seek advice and, in responding, you can appoint yourself judge also. I am on a part 4 since month 7 and have advised intention to progress on part 4 since month 12. Informing agent that I intend to give notice is my final move in negotiations. However, my basic question was not answered. Instead, I got a lecture just in case I was being unfair to a landlord. Would you like to check my tax status also?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

OP in all fairness your opening post reads like you are still on a lease, so D3PO is correct in his questioning.
    You would have gotten a better response if your opening post was clearer - we don't know how long you're been in the property and therefore can't give you the correct notice period to give - you may pick which applies from the grid below:

Length of tenancy Notice by landlord
    Less than 6 months 4 weeks (28 days)
    6 months to 1 year 5 weeks (35 days)
    1 – 2 years 6 weeks (42 days)
    2 – 3 years 8 weeks (56 days)
    3 – 4 years 12 weeks (84 days)
    4 years or more 16 weeks (112 days)

Your notice must also be in writing, best bet is to use registered post, however, I'm sure ordinary post or an email will suffice.
    The notice is also given based on the date of your lease and subsequent date that rent is paid - they should be the same date each calender month.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,385 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You can serve the notice on any day you want. It needs to be in writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

OP in all fairness your opening post reads like you are still on a lease, so D3PO is correct in his questioning.
    You would have gotten a better response if your opening post was clearer - we don't know how long you're been in the property and therefore can't give you the correct notice period to give - you may pick which applies from the grid below:

Length of tenancy Notice by landlord
    Less than 6 months 4 weeks (28 days)
    6 months to 1 year 5 weeks (35 days)
    1 – 2 years 6 weeks (42 days)
    2 – 3 years 8 weeks (56 days)
    3 – 4 years 12 weeks (84 days)
    4 years or more 16 weeks (112 days)

Your notice must also be in writing, best bet is to use registered post, however, I'm sure ordinary post or an email will suffice.
    The notice is also given based on the date of your lease and subsequent date that rent is paid - they should be the same date each calender month.

?? I think I was very clear! (For someone who said they felt below par today). I stated I wanted the fixed term tenancy to expire and then to give notice on the correct day. I wanted to know the timepoint for serving that notice. Nothing more. In post #10 here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=88643744 by you, other Boardsies were advised to answer the OP. That is not what was happening here. I see you and Victor have answered my question succinctly. Thank you very much. I appreciate that. And apologies for any lack of clarity but that does not entitle @D3PO to make assumptions and lecture me.

Perhaps I should have clarified that I wanted to stay on if the price is right, or that negotiations have not yet finished (even when I give notice, another counter-offer may be made), or that I have already informed the agent of wishing to stay past the fixed lease on a part 4 tenancy, but is not what I asked. I asked about the correct point in time to serve notice, not how much notice should I serve (I supplied that myself, 42 days...).

Kind regards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

OP D3PO raised a valid point though, why wait for the existing lease to expire? There was no lecture or assumptions. You on the other hand have seen 2+2 and gotten 10 and I think you need to reign in your responses now - your response was out of line.

The thread you linked is not relevant to your thread, the posters there were attacking the posters actions, not asking questions.

As you've gotten the answer you want, I'm closing the thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement