Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soletrader & being jointly assessed & VAT

Options
  • 26-02-2014 4:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I'm registered as a sole trader to freelance in IT.

When confirming registration the Revenue said I'll be taxed under my husbands number as we are jointly assessed. I'm concerned clients I invoice will see that this is my husbands number?

I haven't registered for VAT yet as am just starting out and was waiting until I reach the threshold income amount to do that. Is that the best way to do it or should I just register for VAT now?

Is it considered unprofessional to not be registered for VAT, even if I am not earning the VAT threshold amount (yet!)?

The admin of freelancing is completely new to me. I don't know what best practice is so advice from anyone whose been there would be much appreciated.

Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

I do think it looks better when a company is VAT registered it makes it clear that you are a small outfit which may not be the impression you want to give if you are trying to secure a big new client!

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Alan Shore

OP you should consider a meeting with an accountant.

1. You should issue invoices with your own PPS number on them.
    2. If your expected annual turnover exceeds the threshold then you should register from the start not when you exceed it.
    3. The fact that you are jointly assessed means your income is returned on the same return as your husbands but it's your business.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 SoletraderNewb

Very helpful guys, and definitely will chat to an accountant.

Advertisement