Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do Banks not check ATMs for fraudulent devices?

Options
  • 26-02-2014 6:59pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭

Simple question. Check them daily and less hassle for skimmed customers.

Too much trouble?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89

I always thought skimmed devices only last a couple of hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Rebel1977

-
    Simple question. Check them daily and less hassle for skimmed customers.

Too much trouble?

Ya but criminals work 24 hours a day bankers only work 9-5

• Registered Users Posts: 82,569 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Would cost more than they lose, currently the fraud rates are tiny, fractions of a percent, until it gets to a rate that they lose much money on it things will stay as they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

The bank machines now seem to be serviced by security firms like Brinks etc. They only visit when they are empty or IT come along if they stop working.

The scammers seem to leave a skimmer on the machine for a small amount of time and then remove it as I haven't heard of the bank finding the item, just being able to pin point when the cards were skimmer.

I find it really odd that the scammers risk coming back to collect the atm hack.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Some banks have skim jammers on the machines now, which stop the skimming device being able to record details. Others have an auto shutdown function where if it's tampered with in any way the machine just shuts off rendering it useless for skimming purposes.

• Advertisement
Advertisement