Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Improving an E1 rated home?

Options
  • 26-02-2014 7:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭

Hi all - I'm house hunting at the moment and looking at an E1 rated home. It was built in 1988 - has doubled glazed windows so presumably it's losing most of the heat through the walls/roof.

I don't know much about construction but would anyone be able to tell me what roughly would it cost to get it up to a C rating?

It's probably not as black and white as that but any advice on what I should be looking out for would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,861 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Get the BER # and read the report - this will show where it has dropped down. Don't inherently trust that the report is accurate particularly on things which cannot be seen - wall insulation and even attic insulation depending on how lazy or not the assessor was.

Other almost pointless factors which can bring the rating down somewhat are lighting - incandescent or halogen vs. CFL/LED bulbs - and the perceived age of the boiler rather than any actual check on its efficiency. The report will have this in it if these were a factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭crock!

To climb up the ladder on ber .what they look for is
    1 insulated attic 300mm
    2 wall insulation weather it be internal or in the cavity or external.
    3 insulated hot water cylinder(factory insulated)
    4 condensing boiler oil or gas
    5 a zoned house.(can you heat up stairs or down stairs or hot water individualy)
    6 is the fire place open fire or stove(open fire pulls heat up the chimney from the room)at least you can close the door on a stove when not in use.saveing heat
    7 solar pannels or tubes
    i hope this helps.there are a lot of houses in ireland that are d or e

Advertisement