Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deer stalking programme

Options
  • 26-02-2014 7:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭

There is a documentary series being shown at the moment on bbc alba, about three girls training as ghillies on a scottish highland estate. I only caught the final few minutes of part one last week, part two is on tonight at 11.30. It is called "caileagan na h-oighreachd". I think it is shown on mondays at an earlier time.

P.s it is shown on mondays at 10 pm.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/bigscreen/tv/episode/b03vcjmk/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Excellent! The girl Mairi Alice Bartlett, who had never touched a firearm before in her life. was very impressive. BTW, everybody in our club who goes deer-stalking has done the basic course, and a good few more, professionals, have gone a lot further. Look up the British Deer Society to see what it's about - although I guess that you have just about the same thing in RoI.

As I've noted here or maybe somewhere else, many estate managers here in UK insist that you have at least passed DSC1 before they let you on their land - accompanied.

See - http://www.bds.org.uk/course_dates.html - if any of you are interested in a foreign course. Ar an drochuair, ach Béarla á labhairt ar na dianchúrsaí teagaisc. :)

tac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

By chance I stumbled on and saw most of last Monday night’s programme, well worth watching. Great camerawork, the content was very balanced, factual and well-produced. The subtitling is good also. The need to cull is dealt with in a factual way, a trophy stag was taken and at the butchering the post mortem was shown, pointing out old age issues. What is interesting is the overall attitude to stalking – the highlanders understand ‘the business’ and the worth of the industry to their community. From a closing trailer I think Programme 2 will have a few tears and doubts about taking the shot.

It is a shame (disgrace?) that there would appear to be nobody in RTE that has the necessary open mind to make a programme like this on any aspect of shooting sports; too many opinionated idiots with agendas, or with a need to prove a point. In general Irish TV indicates the appalling level of journalism (and the product of the so-called journalism courses) in Ireland, where factual reportage is gone and everything is an opinion piece. And the masses are content to be fed hours of imported dross. (Rant over.......)

Imagine how this would go down in Ireland, and in Irish! There are, of course, many more Irish speakers than there are speakers of the Gaelic, since it is taught in schools throughout the Republic, but only in the Highlands and Islands region of Scotland.

Here's some more.....

http://westhighland-hunting.co.uk/

http://www.caledonia.tv/productions/full-catalogue/video.aspx?id=1643

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/424265/Girl-ghillies-have-guts

tac

PS - my wife had a minor mimble that there were no Welsh sub-titles, being on one of her post-new-year's-resolution Welsh language modes. It will pass, no doubt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

Part 3 of this programme is on tonight at 10 pm.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03w3q13

Watched it. Probably as good as last week's programme. The girls seemed more at home on the mountain than they did in Tobermory on their day off. Great camera work, spectacular scenery, a proper documentary. Would love to TG4 to buy it. Not holding my breath though. Do not be put off by the subtitles, much of it is 'as Bearla' Far more interesting than that Duck crap from the US.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭sfakiaman

Really enjoyed the program, it would be great if TG4 would do something like it.

tac foley wrote: »
    PS - my wife had a minor mimble that there were no Welsh sub-titles, being on one of her post-new-year's-resolution Welsh language modes. It will pass, no doubt.

Dysgwch y geiriau o Bread of Heaven, ac yn canu gyda hi yn y rygbi.

sfakiaman wrote: »
    Really enjoyed the program, it would be great if TG4 would do something like it.

I was amazed the programme was so completely unbiased, and they did show the business of culling , warts and all. The head keeper did keep saying they were culling the lower quality stags and showed the estate bringing in better quality breeding stock from fife or somewhere. What also came across was the professionalism of the whole estate and its staff, they had all the correct equipment and were not messing around.

I know at firsthand that the Scottish landowners view their deer herds as an assets to bring in money, and plenty of it.

Just counting the deer benefit accrued by the Scottish Forestry Commission is worth the getting up in the morning - see -

Deer culling on Forestry Commission Scotland land – and the subsequent sale of venison – has earned the Government agency almost £5 million in the last four years.

Around 30,000 deer are shot on national forestry estate land each year in order to prevent overpopulation and to protect the 85 million young trees growing.

A large proportion are sold on to meat dealers from the culls and the price of venison has increased by 50 per cent in three years.

The cull Forestry Commission Scotland (FCS) property last year brought in £1.52 million compared to £991,000 in 2009.

The rest of Scotland, bearing in mind the huge market developed for overseas shooters, raised almost £105,000,000 in the year 2003.....

http://www.scottish.parliament.uk/ResearchBriefingsAndFactsheets/S4/SB_13-74.pdf

No wonder they are happy bunnies.

tac

Said that already;) but.....

Ah well ye see now, that would be a bit too dangerous, young girlees running around with WEAPONS and we could leave ourselves open to criticism and anyway that anti crowd are very vocal and could give us fierce stick and we might have the TD’s onto us because they would be getting PQs and that shooting crowd is only all rich Protestants that kept us Irish down and what do we want to be supporting them for and Mr X TD helped us on that last increase in our funding and he is against it shur lookit what happened up in that hunting place beyont Dublin where they were taking deers out of sacks or carts or something for fellas on horses to chase around schoolyards so anyway shur there are no deer around here and if there are why would we want to be telling anyone about them bringing in all that crowd, no, no, no. Anyway, just tell them we cannot do it, it’s not Irish enough for us and between ourselves it would be far better to spend the money on stuff of genuine Irish interest that people would watch like Coronation Roads. Ennyway if you are asked just say that we could not find a native speaker and it would require a big budget for the helicopters and all.

Sadly, that is your answer.

• Advertisement

Ah, Pedro, I can see the ould cynic coming out there...them cailíní, the youngest of whom is 24/5 I think, would be cheered up to know that they are so young in your eyes! :0

Apart from that, I think that you are probably not far off the mark, right there.

It's a great pity though, eh?

Ireland has as much if not more going for it where beautiful scenery is concerned - most of Scotland is an unrelieved grey, full of miserable b*ggers and their awful 'music', whereas Ireland, as is well-known, is full of the most beautiful wimmin on the planet as well as the best of music... That apart, most stuff you see on TV seems to show poor folk getting rescued off bleak mountain landscapessparsely populated by people who seem to be, for the most part, English who are trying to 'get away from it all'. Well, they've certainly done that, as far as I can see.

Way back when, my ould da was smitten with the heavenly Maureen O'Hara. Has Scotland ever produced such a beauty as her?

tac

tac foley wrote: »
    Ireland has as much if not more going for it where beautiful scenery is concerned - most of Scotland is an unrelieved grey, full of miserable b*ggers and their awful 'music', whereas Ireland, as is well-known, is full of the most beautiful wimmin on the planet as well as the best of music... That apart, most stuff you see on TV seems to show poor folk getting rescued off bleak mountain landscapessparsely populated by people who seem to be, for the most part, English who are trying to 'get away from it all'. Well, they've certainly done that, as far as I can see.

Of course if you had ventured further from Redford barracks than the artificial ski slopes beside Dreghorn (the old range), you would have found that the Scottish hills and mountains were of a shade of purple exceeded only by a drill sergeants instructions to a squad of rookies. As for the women, a stroll down Rose street of a Saturday evening could beat even the beauties of Ardnamurchan.

Of course if you had ventured further from Redford barracks than the artificial ski slopes beside Dreghorn (the old range), you would have found that the Scottish hills and mountains were of a shade of purple exceeded only by a drill sergeants instructions to a squad of rookies. As for the women, a stroll down Rose street of a Saturday evening could beat even the beauties of Ardnamurchan.

Sadly, Sir, I admit to my iggerance. Redford schmedford - means nothing to me. :confused: I haven't the foggiest notion of what you are talking about. My post was not intended to be taken as outright criticism of Scotland - my niece and her husband and children live there - but was intended to follow on from Pedro's lighthearted take.

Anyhow, I'm half plus a bit Irish, and nothing Scottish, so don't look for plaudits about that country from me.

Have a great day, eh? :D

tac

Final part on tonight at 10 pm, but repeated on thursday night too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

I can't get this fricking yoke on the telly at all.

I can't get this fricking yoke on the telly at all.

Channel 110 on freesat. you can't see it on bbc iplayer if you have an irish ip address, you have to mask it.

Jasus and can that be done by the avarage savage or what.

Have sky not the free sat. Sometimes I wonder if the sky is worth it at all.

Jasus and can that be done by the avarage savage or what.

Have sky not the free sat. Sometimes I wonder if the sky is worth it at all.

Channel 143 on sky ?

I'll check it out cheers.

Advertisement