Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PTSB - Bank charges for over 18s in secondary school?

Options
  • 26-02-2014 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Today PTSB sent me a letter to say my MyCash account will be converted to a normal current account on 24 March, just before my 18th birthday. I'm dreading facing quarterly fees for the first time, and there's not a hope of me being able to €1500 a month to avoid them! However, I am still in full time secondary education, and will be until I am 19. There is a student account, but it seems to be for third level students only. Does anyone know whether I am entitled to any fee waivers or if there is a special kind of account I can apply for in the meantime, before I start college?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 GG396

bump

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89

They should have a second level account with free fees. Let them know your still in secondary school and you shouldn't be charged fees otherwise move to AIB, BOI, KBC or UB none of which charge

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭greenman09

Read the letter again. If you are in full time education which you are. You only need to provide them with a letter signed by your principal confirming you are still in full time education. On school headed paper of course

• Registered Users Posts: 14 GG396

I thought I had this sorted. I brought in the letter from my school that said I'd be attending until 2015. Guy in the bank took a copy and said it was grand, I'd still be on the MyCash account... apparently not. I logged into Open 24 a few days after my 18th birthday and it had switched over to a Current Account, gah! I haven't been charged anything yet (except DIRT) but I'm getting worried now. Should I bother going back in or will ringing PTSB do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Popescu

Write a letter to the bank manager. That should get it sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭greenman09

GG396 wrote: »
    I thought I had this sorted. I brought in the letter from my school that said I'd be attending until 2015. Guy in the bank took a copy and said it was grand, I'd still be on the MyCash account... apparently not. I logged into Open 24 a few days after my 18th birthday and it had switched over to a Current Account, gah! I haven't been charged anything yet (except DIRT) but I'm getting worried now. Should I bother going back in or will ringing PTSB do?

It is converted to a current account but you need to make sure your record is flagged as a student to avoid the fees. Ring open 24 and they can tell you straightaway

Advertisement