Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Job Seeker's Allowance abroad

Options
  • 26-02-2014 7:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭

Hey,
    So I'm currently on JSA, and have been for nearly a month now. My boyfriend and I want to go abroad this summer, to somewhere like France or Portugal, to try and find work.
    Would I be able to sign on for JSA while over there? I know that while on JSA I'm allowed two paid weeks for holiday, but we want to stay over there for a couple of months.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭mistress_gi

For all that is sacred do not go to Portugal to try and find work, it is very hard, especially harder if you don't speak portuguese.
    How do I know? I am portuguese.
    To the point you should be able to receive your JSA for 3 months you would have to deal with Social Security over there and this is not an easy task on itself. If you are thinking of going though maybe try and talk to someone over there about exactly what you need before heading over. Don't just talk to one person either, talk to as many as possible, sometimes it is hard to get the correct information.
    The portuguese social security systems is complex and full of paperwork, there is also a lot of fraud so there is no leniency on the paperwork that is required.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

Jobseekers Benefit can be transferred to another EEA country for 13 weeks if you have been in payment for at least 4 weeks and are looking for work in the EEA country. Jobseekers Allowance is not transferable at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭mistress_gi

Balagan, I did not know that. good info, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

If you stay for longer than a month then your claim will be closed here and will not be entitled to two weeks holidays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Not being funny, but Spain/Portugal should be the LAST places to look for work. The employment situation is every bit as bad as it is here.

As already stated, JSA cannot be transferred over to another EU country. Only JSB can.

What about heading over to the UK? Would that be an option?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

And in France it's worse yet. Unless you have a 'Lit de Famille', you'll get nowhere. Nothing happens without that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭CaoimheCweeva

Thanks for the info. regarding Portugal, though I only mentioned it really because I've never been there and have been to France a good bit.

Going to the UK is an option but not really preferable, anyways it doesn't really matter now if JSA can't be transferred.

Thanks!

Advertisement