Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jewellery help

• 26-02-2014 8:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Oh my god I need help! :eek: I've just dropped a gold necklace pendant - of HUGE sentimental value - in the fire. I had it in my hand and it just slipped through my fingers into the open hearth. I managed to retrieve it but its all blackened. There are small rubies in it and they look fine. Is it ruined? Is this black-ness something I can remove (or get removed) or is it that the finish is burnt off? I'm pretty sure it really is gold but it was a present so I can't ask because I can't bring myself to tell him what's happened. I remember when he gave it to me I got the feeling it was expensive. Is there anything I can do myself or if I bring it to a jewellers can they restore it???
    I was going to wear it at my wedding next month ... I'm devastated :(:(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166 ✭✭miss-p

Have you tried washing it with soap and water? I think use something like fairy and a cloth and see if that helps?

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭PennyWren

Rubies are very very delicate so I wouldn't try cleaning it yourself, but a good jewellers may be able to polish it for you if it's real gold. Bring it to a shop you know and ask there advice. I hope you can get it sorted before the big day. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

IF it's gold plated you might be in trouble but it really depends how thick the plating is. If it is solid, you have nothing to worry about, the amount of heat that goes into making gold jewelry is far greater than what you have put it through.

After fabrication by the jeweler but before polishing, you would not recognise gold, unsurprisingly it looks like something which has been in a forge for days, all different colours and lumpy. Then afterwards the beauty comes out.

I'd be tempted to have a go myself with a soft cloth and mild detergent, but I'd have to recomend taking it to a professional. By that I mean a craftsman not a high street retail jewelers.

Advertisement