Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are Smart TVs worth the extra expense?

• 26-02-2014 8:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm hoping to spend up to €450 on a new tv for the living room in the next while. We've got the apple TV box and with UPC we have access to plenty of On Demand / RTE player etc.

Ive been going through the specs of some TVs and I'm wondering if there's any real benefit to us of spending the money on a Smart TV. We don't want Netflix etc as we rarely get the TV from the kids long enough to watch a film.

At the moment I'm thinking more of trying to buy a full HD 37-40" with a thin rim around it.

Question is.. Am I really mad not to upgrade to a smart TV at this point? I'm wondering what I'm missing!

Any recommendations would be excellent.
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Gmol

Wouldn't bother Tbh would get a cheaper hd tv and a smart surround sound system

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,605 ✭✭✭dubrov

If you can already get RTE player and Youtube with UPC I wouldn't bother.

The internet browsers on Smart TVs are generally almost unusable.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭3mm

You would be better off with a bigger Hd tv than a Smart Tv

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭cuculainn

I have two....and they are handy for netflx and rte players etc.....and detecting nas etc....
    if you already have these already I wouldnt bother....

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭cuculainn

Also its hard to get a tv with ethernet connection that isnt a smart tv

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭space2ground1

I think that just confirms my hunch. I'll be plugging in the apple tv and the UPC HD DVR box and that'll be that.

These are the two I've narrowed it down to. They pretty much fit the budget and 39" would be perfect. Any opinions on which to choose would be brilliant!

LG 39"

Samsung 39"

I think that just confirms my hunch. I'll be plugging in the apple tv and the UPC HD DVR box and that'll be that.

These are the two I've narrowed it down to. They pretty much fit the budget and 39" would be perfect. Any opinions on which to choose would be brilliant!

LG 39"

Samsung 39"
    There is a 42' LG on special in power city for 499.

Gmol wrote: »
    There is a 42' LG on special in power city for 499.

We're gonna stick to the 39". Its not a huge room so don't want to go any bigger than that. We've a 32" at the moment thats being replaced.

We're gonna stick to the 39". Its not a huge room so don't want to go any bigger than that. We've a 32" at the moment thats being replaced.

No worries enjoy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭CSSE09

I bought this last week http://www.powercity.ie/?par=10-13-39F5000&pages=1&prod=39F5000&brands=samsung&image=

Absolutely delighted with it, hooked up to a ps4 the picture quality is fantastic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

The majority of TV's nowadays come with Smart features anyway. However you can just connect up your laptop via HDMI to any TV and show what you like.

I do agree that the browsers built in to TVs are absolutely sh1t.

CSSE09 wrote: »
    I bought this last week http://www.powercity.ie/?par=10-13-39F5000&pages=1&prod=39F5000&brands=samsung&image=

Absolutely delighted with it, hooked up to a ps4 the picture quality is fantastic.

That looks like a great deal. It fits the bill perfectly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭CSSE09

That looks like a great deal. It fits the bill perfectly.
    You wouldn't be disappointed I can't say enough how clear and sharp the screen is,thought I'd have to spend at least 700 to get something as good. The time I spent reading reviews really paid off.

Sorted with the Samsung. Thanks a lot for the advice!

Sorted with the Samsung. Thanks a lot for the advice!

Happy viewing

Advertisement