Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortgage Advice for Self Build

Options
  • 26-02-2014 9:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭

Can anyone give us any advice on the best banks to approach for a €175k mortgage. House cost is €250k and we have €75k ourselves between savings and help from the parents. We earn approx €55k per annum between us. Our rent at the moment is €700 per month and we have been saving €1000 a month for the last year. We are both in our early 30's and first time getting a mortgage. All advice welcome

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

I don't know if the rules are different for self build properties but you are in a great position with your savings. What banks will do is see if you can handle the repayments at a stress level around 6% interest, right not they are around 4 - 4.5%.

With your savings of 1000 a month plus your rent you should be able to handle the stress repayments if the interest rate ever goes that high.

Enter your details here https://mortgage.aib.ie and you'll see how much you'll (potentially) be approved for.

I filled it in based on what you said and it looks good :)

If you're serious about this, then get crucial documents ready for the banks.Copies of P60s, 6 months banks statements, proof of savings, 3 months payslips (for both of you).

Also have a look at this,
    http://www.ebs.ie/resources/booklets/buildingyourhome/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1 CMPa

The savings of 1000 a month are a big positive. Much more than the 75K that is available. It's all about the capacity to meet the mortgage. I have two mortgages, one supplemented by rent, and even though we have big savings in the bank, the fact that I save little is a big negative.

Advertisement