Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Combi boiler, sealed system-no heat, no hot water, no attempt to ignite, pump runs.

• 26-02-2014 9:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,
    My last roll of the dice before I replace this old boiler (FWIW I'm in Germany and it's a Junkers combi, made in January 1991)...

It failed a couple of days ago. System making no noise whatsoever. I found the circulation pump to be seized, so given this thing is very old I didn't want to spend the €220 on a new one so got a 1 year old used one for €30. I fitted it this evening, pressurised the system to the recommended 1 bar, bled it and sure enough the pump now runs nice and quietly and pumps lovely cold water around the system.

The boiler makes no attempt to fire (I've had boilers in Ireland with defective ignition boards so know that click, click click sound!). Fuses are intact.

It doesn't try to fire when I turn on a hot tap either, though I can see the microswitch being activated by the water switch when I do this...but no attempt to ignite.

Any ideas? (I suspect the main board to be honest but maybe someone knows something easy I can check). I'm not calling anyone to fix a 23 year old boiler so if I can't get it going in the next couple of days I'm going to replace it with a new quality boiler. I've put about €300 in parts into this boiler over the past 6 months so no more.

Boiler is a German made Junkers 2 KE 18kW, for what it's worth. If I can't get it going I'l probably buy another Junkers...23 years isn't bad going.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

Is there a reset button for the overheat safety thermostat on the boiler ?

Boiler would have overheated when the pump steped working.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

scudo2 wrote: »
    Is there a reset button for the overheat safety thermostat on the boiler ?

Boiler would have overheated when the pump steped working.
    There's a reset on the front, already tried pressing it. No joy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

murphaph wrote: »
    There's a reset on the front, already tried pressing it. No joy.

I would recommend hitting it with a hammer, but only legaly approved, experienced and qualified, regestered RGII in this country can do that. !!

Sorry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

scudo2 you were spot on by the way. I found 2 more trip switches on the thing (hidden inside and unmarked-they don't even look like switches or buttons or anything resembling something designed to be pressed/reset!). I found mention of them in the installation guide for the boiler but not in the "troubleshooting" section which is why I wasn't aware of them before. A case of RTFM I suppose. The reset on the front is only a reset for the ignition system, not for the overtemp system. She's up and running again now and all seems well, lovely hot rads and piping hot water from the taps-it's only when a boiler goes that you realise what a luxury a hot shower is!

Advertisement