Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking in Greystones

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

It is worth noting that the machine used by the traffic wardens will not allow a ticket to be issued until ten minutes has elapsed from the time that the traffic warden has entered your vehicle registration into his handheld machine. So all those stories of the warden sneaking up and ticketing after a shorter period of 10 minutes is bunkum. I have observed so many instances of illegal parking in Greystones main street that I wonder do these drivers honestly think they are not going to be caught. It is only a very small area and the wardens patrol it vigorously.
    At this stage everyone should be aware of the parking rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Maudi wrote: »
    greystones needs of course parking restrictions for it to work but in a managed " grown up "way..not run by a profit before people company like apoca anyhoo put up a link there for your statement. .
    What, like the useless council employed "parking warden" we have here in Bray, who I've seen casually strolling by cars parked up on the pavement on a double yellow only a few metres away from traffic lights, "just popping into the bank", or a car parked in a yellow box junction?

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Rocket19

It's certainly a pain to get a ticket, but in fairness, we all know the rules, so you can't exactly complain if you're caught out. I've only been stung once..parked up near the Burnaby, and totally forgot to get a ticket (they were new then..oops).

Would agree that what is described in the OP sounds crazy.
    It is true, though, that the ticket wardens are given quotas to meet, which explains the perhaps overly zealous ticketing.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭mail4liam

loyatemu wrote: »
    worth noting that the minimum payment for on-street parking (if you can find a space) is 20c, so you don't have to pay for a full hour if you're just nipping in for a coffee.

its a tricky problem - if you have any form of parking regulation (e.g. "max 2 hours" as Greystones used to have) then you have to pay people to enforce it or it gets ignored. Then you have to finance the enforcement so you need pay parking that at least covers the costs.

from the sounds of things the wardens could show a bit more discretion, but everyone who gets caught has some sort of excuse or sob-story so I can understand why they prefer to keep things black-and-white.

I'm all for B&W & I agree when you say people arrive with all types of excuses, the Wardens have a hard job also, but What I have been trying to put across to people the day in question it was a miserable day! Rain wind swept & cold also. We are talking about ample parking in the area for private cars. This was a parking Bay for trades men or women, it was the only trades van in the bay at the time! It was 6 minutes over it's stay & there was writing on the van to say it was a window cleaning business. While the warden was issuing the ticket, there was a guy cleaning the windows of the library! On the day & considering all the circumstances I feel the warden could of handled the situation with a quick word with the window cleaner to move the van, or else she'd have to enforce the ticket, A little bit of common sence should prevale!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

mail4liam wrote: »
    This was a parking Bay for trades men or women, it was the only trades van in the bay at the time!
    According to your first post it was a loading bay, not a parking bay, and there's a difference in as much as a loading bay is supposed to be used only by vehicles with a goods tax disc, while actively loading and unloading, up to the maximum time allowed. So, if they were working away cleaning windows while the van was parked there the warden was actually turning a bit of a blind eye already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭eigrod

That single space outside O' Brien's off licence, right at the traffic lights, is absolutely crazy. What is the point of it ? It just causes an obstruction for traffic heading down the town, particularly if there is a bus or truck coming up against you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭LorMal

Rocket19 wrote: »
    It's certainly a pain to get a ticket, but in fairness, we all know the rules, so you can't exactly complain if you're caught out. I've only been stung once..parked up near the Burnaby, and totally forgot to get a ticket (they were new then..oops).

Would agree that what is described in the OP sounds crazy.
    It is true, though, that the ticket wardens are given quotas to meet, which explains the perhaps overly zealous ticketing.

I think the problem is that they are not at all reasonable to deal with. It is a service provided for the people of Greystones and paid for by the people of Greystones. They really are a nasty crowd and I would love to see the back of them. No problem being fined when deliberately breaking the rules and therefore inconveniencing others - but some of the examples here (including my own above) are reflections of a company deliberately exploiting the rules for their own financial gain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

LorMal wrote: »
    I think the problem is that they are not at all reasonable to deal with. It is a service provided for the people of Greystones and paid for by the people of Greystones. They really are a nasty crowd and I would love to see the back of them. No problem being fined when deliberately breaking the rules and therefore inconveniencing others - but some of the examples here (including my own above) are reflections of a company deliberately exploiting the rules for their own financial gain.

You bought a ticket. It was upside down on the dash. The warden issued a ticket.

I fail to see how the company were exploiting you in any manner. Having the ticket upside down on the dash is little different than having put it on your pocket and walked away. It was your fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

Dosent matter what way you look at it.the parking restrictions are driving people away from the town!!!..if its doing the opposite and encouraging business or being any benefit to shops by creating more footfall id be very surprised..maybe some business owners would like to give their views..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

The rules are clear, stick with them and you have no problems, break them and you are fined. The rules need to be enforced universally, or it is open to abuse and mistrust from the public.

There is a appeals process which you can take up with the authority after the event if you feel your excuse merits special consideration.

As for driving business away from the town, i cant think of any large town where they dont have parking enforcement in place?

At least you can get a spot these days, the alternative is to fill the place with all day parkers who head into Dublin on the DART.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭poldebruin

I find parking in Greystones a breeze. Always get a spot in the town (Meridian) Free parking on both sides of the beach at the weekend (Park and Ride/Harbour) and plenty of spaces around the back of the park for Library, Homans or messing in the park with kids. Most of the ticket machines are in working order too. Free weekend parking means you can leave your car overnight if out for a few drinks and retrieve the next day.

Just pay for your ticket, put it on show and don't park where you're not supposed to. I don't even notice the wardens to be honest.

poldebruin wrote: »
    I find parking in Greystones a breeze. Always get a spot in the town (Meridian) Free parking on both sides of the beach at the weekend (Park and Ride/Harbour) and plenty of spaces around the back of the park for Library, Homans or messing in the park with kids. Most of the ticket machines are in working order too. Free weekend parking means you can leave your car overnight if out for a few drinks and retrieve the next day.

Just pay for your ticket, put it on show and don't park where you're not supposed to. I don't even notice the wardens to be honest.

Soo..if im to understand .the above three supporters of a private parking company taking over the town and this has increased business in the town?

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    It is worth noting that the machine used by the traffic wardens will not allow a ticket to be issued until ten minutes has elapsed from the time that the traffic warden has entered your vehicle registration into his handheld machine. So all those stories of the warden sneaking up and ticketing after a shorter period of 10 minutes is bunkum. I have observed so many instances of illegal parking in Greystones main street that I wonder do these drivers honestly think they are not going to be caught. It is only a very small area and the wardens patrol it vigorously.
    At this stage everyone should be aware of the parking rules.

This could be where the stories about the traffic wardens waiting to pounce come in. When people think the traffic wardens are hanging around a car waiting for the second the ticket expires to stick the fine on what has actually happened is the ticket has already expired or the car is illegally parked and the traffic warden is waiting for the ten minutes to elapse.

I really don't see a problem. I drop in to greystones to the shops most days if not every day of the week. Never had a problem with the traffic wardens and never seen them hiding or loitering. They always seem to be following a route.
    If I am just nipping in I will park and stick a few cent in the nearest meter. If I am going to be a little longer I will either park in park and ride "for free" and have a nice stroll up or if I will be in more of a rush stick it in meridian for a euro. Obviously from what some say if you cannot park outside the shop you are going to, for free, then there is no point bothering. I am used to towns where the main streets are fully pedestrianised and don't remember anyone ever complaining that you couldn't park near the shops.

poldebruin wrote: »

Dont forget Homans pay for your parking ticket too.

Soo..if im to understand .the above three supporters of a private parking company taking over the town and this has increased business in the town?

Seeing as Greystones has the highest commercial occupancy rate in the country, it must not have hurt it too badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Well it hasn't decreased business in the town.
    Just look at Supervalue on the main street, they use a private company to look after their carpark who have regularly clamped cars and it doesn't appear to have decreased their business.
    Have you had some bad experiences with the parking arrangements in Greystones?

Jimjay wrote: »
    This could be where the stories about the traffic wardens waiting to pounce come in. When people think the traffic wardens are hanging around a car waiting for the second the ticket expires to stick the fine on what has actually happened is the ticket has already expired or the car is illegally parked and the traffic warden is waiting for the ten minutes to elapse.

I really don't see a problem. I drop in to greystones to the shops most days if not every day of the week. Never had a problem with the traffic wardens and never seen them hiding or loitering. They always seem to be following a route.
    If I am just nipping in I will park and stick a few cent in the nearest meter. If I am going to be a little longer I will either park in park and ride "for free" and have a nice stroll up or if I will be in more of a rush stick it in meridian for a euro. Obviously from what some say if you cannot park outside the shop you are going to, for free, then there is no point bothering. I am used to towns where the main streets are fully pedestrianised and don't remember anyone ever complaining that you couldn't park ......

You are used to "fully pedestrianised streets" ? Where? Greystones?none.bray none..im waiting to hear from business owners that opaca parking has increased business and been beneficial to commerce (that is different to parkers).

The rules are clear, stick with them and you have no problems, break them and you are fined. The rules need to be enforced universally, or it is open to abuse and mistrust from the public.

There is a appeals process which you can take up with the authority after the event if you feel your excuse merits special consideration.

As for driving business away from the town, i cant think of any large town where they dont have parking enforcement in place?

At least you can get a spot these days, the alternative is to fill the place with all day parkers who head into Dublin on the DART.

Being "obsessed "with rules and enforcing rules etc dosent concern me too much.i like to support 'local businesses and families..parking companys dont.sorry

Being "obsessed "with rules and enforcing rules etc dosent concern me too much.i like to support 'local businesses and families..parking companys dont.sorry

Bland populist statements are better suited for the politicians in the upcoming local elections. If you are opposed to the existing system, perhaps you can lay out a plan to effectively manage parking in town.

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    Well it hasn't decreased business in the town.
    Just look at Supervalue on the main street, they use a private company to look after their carpark who have regularly clamped cars and it doesn't appear to have decreased their business.
    Have you had some bad experiences with the parking arrangements in Greystones?

Nope.never had a ticket .

• Advertisement

Bland populist statements are better suited for the politicians in the upcoming local elections. If you are opposed to the existing system, perhaps you can lay out a plan to effectively manage parking in town.

I take great offence at your suggestive comments regarding VERY important upcoming local elections..I value my vote ..greatly and respect those contesting upcoming elections..some may find them"bland" and populist. I...do not.this conversation has veered away from the original "parking has increased businness in greystones"post so im out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Zoo4m8

Jimjay wrote: »
    Dont forget Homans pay for your parking ticket too.

As do Mango Tree...just for the Meridian of course, but every little helps!

I wouldn't know if it has increased or hurt business in the town, but footfall looks fairly healthy to me no matter what time I go in.

I just don't see parking (or the administration of it) as a particular problem for Greystones. I don't mind if it is run by a private company or the council, it is all the same to me. The private company will have paid up front for the privilege and takes on the associated costs.

One aspect of parking that bothers me is the Meridian trying to squeeze 3 bays where there really should only be two in the underground section and even more than that, people who arrive at an empty 3 bay section and park in the middle and leaving 2 very tight spots either side.

Zoo4m8 wrote: »
    As do Mango Tree...just for the Meridian of course, but every little helps!

I didn't realise that Homans did, but I can also add Chakra, who will validate your ticket even if you are picking up a takeaway.

i like to support 'local businesses and families..parking companys dont.sorry

:-) but you said earlier you don't go to the shops in greystones because the 20c you pay for parking wont allow you time to look at the shops. That's not supporting local business ;-)

I'm sure you can get your washer from Bradys in greystones, they also have free parking, no need to go to woodies.

Btw I said I have been used to pedestrianised main streets, I didnt say they were in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 ckc

Is everyone aware that parking is free for the first 10/15 mins in the Meridien? You will be charged if you put the ticket in the pay machine but it will let you out if you drive up and put it in the machine at the barrier. I seem to recall someone on here saying it was a condition of the Post Office moving in or something. Maybe someone could confirm the details?

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Kinikie

Only real downside to on-street parking is what i witnessed at davis bros garage this week...with them having to continually feed the machines with change to keep cars they are working on displaying valid tickets. Must cost a fortune each week to do that, surely there should be exceptions like that for existing businesses that rely on space to operate

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Cerco

Kinikie wrote: »
    Only real downside to on-street parking is what i witnessed at davis bros garage this week...with them having to continually feed the machines with change to keep cars they are working on displaying valid tickets. Must cost a fortune each week to do that, surely there should be exceptions like that for existing businesses that rely on space to operate

They should be allocated a half a dozen or so free parking permits with unlimited time. This would be a simple sensible solution to support a worthy local business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭ellejay

ckc wrote: »
    Is everyone aware that parking is free for the first 10/15 mins in the Meridien? You will be charged if you put the ticket in the pay machine but it will let you out if you drive up and put it in the machine at the barrier. I seem to recall someone on here saying it was a condition of the Post Office moving in or something. Maybe someone could confirm the details?

I heard that, and tried it twice but the barrier didn't lift.
    i'd to press the help button and the guys in the security let me out, after they gave out to me for not validating my ticket in the machine.

So next time I went to the machine, but was charged a euro for about 5 mins.

Heatons will give a free hour parking for spends over ten euro.

Advertisement