Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking in Greystones

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

ellejay wrote: »
    I heard that, and tried it twice but the barrier didn't lift.

It's worked for me many times but I never knew if it was 10 minutes or 15 minutes.

I found out the other day, when it wouldn't lift for me and the guy working there said it was a 10 minute cut off - and I was maybe a minute over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭ellejay

It's worked for me many times but I never knew if it was 10 minutes or 15 minutes.

I found out the other day, when it wouldn't lift for me and the guy working there said it was a 10 minute cut off - and I was maybe a minute over.

THanks, good to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭IanL

Tthe car park at back of train station facing sea is free at weekends, bridge takes you out across from Meridien. Though I understand if you have kids and buggies very awkward.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭sysconp1

From what I have experienced and seen for myself, this is really a case of common sense all round...

Traffic wardens - Have the common sense and discretion to allow genuine vehicles to go about their business, as per the library comments earlier in the thread. Whilst picking up those offenders that believe that the rules do not apply to them.

Public - A little more common sense in where and how they park. If you are popping in for a coffee, park up properly or use the free 15min parking in the Meridian. I have sat in Insomnia and watched as people (and I use the term loosely) dump their cars half on the pavement and half on the road with a blatant disregard for pedestrians or other road users. There are no excuses for this and it leaves a very poor impression to anyone watching of the inhabitants of Greystones.

I myself have been picked up in a car park in Greystones for not displaying. I admit that it slipped my mind as I was heading for an interview via the Dart. However I received some nice pics of my car and I accept that I deserved the fine.

However there seem to be a lot of people in Greystones that believe that the rules do not apply to them for whatever reason and for those ignorant/arrogant people there are deserved fines. For the rest that pay the parking and are considerate to other road users all I can say is thank you. As for the people that believe that the parking is affecting businesses I would suggest that the opposite is true. Poor parking and disregard for other road users and pedestrians does affect business much more and those people SHOULD be chastised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭LorMal

sysconp1 wrote: »
    From what I have experienced and seen for myself, this is really a case of common sense all round...

Traffic wardens - Have the common sense and discretion to allow genuine vehicles to go about their business, as per the library comments earlier in the thread. Whilst picking up those offenders that believe that the rules do not apply to them.

Public - A little more common sense in where and how they park. If you are popping in for a coffee, park up properly or use the free 15min parking in the Meridian. I have sat in Insomnia and watched as people (and I use the term loosely) dump their cars half on the pavement and half on the road with a blatant disregard for pedestrians or other road users. There are no excuses for this and it leaves a very poor impression to anyone watching of the inhabitants of Greystones.

I myself have been picked up in a car park in Greystones for not displaying. I admit that it slipped my mind as I was heading for an interview via the Dart. However I received some nice pics of my car and I accept that I deserved the fine.

However there seem to be a lot o.f people in Greystones that believe that the rules do not apply to them for whatever reason and for those ignorant/arrogant people there are deserved fines. For the rest that pay the parking and are considerate to other road users all I can say is thank you. As for the people that believe that the parking is affecting businesses I would suggest that the opposite is true. Poor parking and disregard for other road users and pedestrians does affect business much more and those people SHOULD be chastised.

On the whole, I agree with your position. However, I do not see anyone on here suggesting that they should be allowed to dump their cars half on the pavement. (This is what really irritates me in this discussion - putting up straw man arguments and then beating them down.)
    I think we all want Greystones to benefit from reasonable and fair minded parking restrictions. The problem with the current situation is that the rules are being enforced in a very heavy handed (and often extremely rude) way - with no account for genuine error or misunderstandings, or for people trying to go about their work.
    Every time I try to make this point on here, I receive a lecture on rules and regulations - as if I am arguing for a free for all, I'm not.
    As you say, common sense (and might i suggest common courtesy) should apply. The current providers of this service are profiteering.

• Advertisement

Plastik wrote: »
    You bought a ticket. It was upside down on the dash. The warden issued a ticket.

I fail to see how the company were exploiting you in any manner. Having the ticket upside down on the dash is little different than having put it on your pocket and walked away. It was your fault.

Thanks for your clarification of the rules there. My point was that I HAD paid and that I had the ticket to prove it - so I think it would have been reasonable to overturn the fine on appeal - as it was obviously a genuine and honest mistake. However, you see things differently.

LorMal wrote: »
    On the whole, I agree with your position. However, I do not see anyone on here suggesting that they should be allowed to dump their cars half on the pavement. (This is what really irritates me in this discussion - putting up straw man arguments and then beating them down.)
    I think we all want Greystones to benefit from reasonable and fair minded parking restrictions. The problem with the current situation is that the rules are being enforced in a very heavy handed (and often extremely rude) way - with no account for genuine error or misunderstandings, or for people trying to go about their work.
    Every time I try to make this point on here, I receive a lecture on rules and regulations - as if I am arguing for a free for all, I'm not.
    As you say, common sense (and might i suggest common courtesy) should apply. The current providers of this service are profiteering.

Perhaps the warden should record the reg numbers and carry out a 2 strikes and nicked policy. After all it seems some people never learn and continue to flout the rules. Genuine mistakes would then be given a warning. Perhaps also an increasing scale of fines for repeat offenders would act as a deterrent?

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭FirstIn

I believe the parking should be done as follows;

Those of us that have lived in Greystones for over 40 yrs and are used to the pre warden/restricted parking should be provided with a free disc/badge and allowed park as we wish in the village.

More recent residents should not get a disc and be subject to the current parking restrictions.

The good news is the 40 yr old rule/limit would be on a rolling basis. I believe approach will work well for the next 30 yrs.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

FirstIn wrote: »

Those of us that have lived in Greystones for over 40 yrs and are used to the pre warden/restricted parking should be provided with a free disc/badge and allowed park as we wish in the village.

More recent residents should not get a disc and be subject to the current parking restrictions.

The good news is the 40 yr old rule/limit would be on a rolling basis. I believe approach will work well for the next 30 yrs.

Considering this was brought in due to locals double parking - yup read it double parking on the mainstreet I wish to excuse myself from your proposal. As a "native" I am more than happy to pay either in the Meridian, on street or use the park and ride (and burn off a few calories for replenishment in Delle Stelle)

I think some residents think your idea is already in force. Pity they all fall into the same basket as the rest of us. Half of the people that have been here for over 40 years could walk to the shops if it wasn't for their Merc's being surgically attached to their backsides.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭poldebruin

The problem with the current situation is that the rules are being enforced in a very heavy handed (and often extremely rude) way - with no account for genuine error or misunderstandings, or for people trying to go about their work.

I don't feel the rules are being enforced in a heavy handed manner, as you describe. The wardens hands are tied really, they have to be seen to act consistantly across the board, surely that is the fairest route to all.

You can't ask the warden to distinguish between a genuine error and a not-so-genuine error. Was it a misunderstanding, or was it purposefully misunderstood etc. Common sense says the wardens act consistantly to all. That way we all know what is expected and how to avoid fines without grey areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I agree. I prefer consistency of approach over this woolly idea of applying so-called "common sense". The obvious problem with such an approach, and you can see it in action all over the boards.ie forums, is that everybody's definition of this supposedly "common" sense is different, resulting in endless roundabout discussions as to what is and isn't allowed.

As for the comments regarding rudeness, I'd wager that if you spent your whole working day listening to the same old tired excuses about why they should be let off, you'd be a bit grumpy too.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Alun wrote: »
    As for the comments regarding rudeness, I'd wager that if you spent your whole working day listening to the same old tired excuses about why they should be let off, you'd be a bit grumpy too.

I always intentionally greet them cheerily - thankless job really. I have gotten some surprised double takes - possibly catching them right after someone had a meltdown over the wind flipping their ticket or just being a few minutes (30) while they finished their coffee.

poldebruin wrote: »
    I don't feel the rules are being enforced in a heavy handed manner, as you describe. The wardens hands are tied really, they have to be seen to act consistantly across the board, surely that is the fairest route to all.

You can't ask the warden to distinguish between a genuine error and a not-so-genuine error. Was it a misunderstanding, or was it purposefully misunderstood etc. Common sense says the wardens act consistantly to all. That way we all know what is expected and how to avoid fines without grey areas.

Nah - there is an appeals process. I followed it to the letter. They decided to reject my appeal without reason. Consistant yes - consistantly nasty - no.

Perhaps the warden should record the reg numbers and carry out a 2 strikes and nicked policy. After all it seems some people never learn and continue to flout the rules. Genuine mistakes would then be given a warning. Perhaps also an increasing scale of fines for repeat offenders would act as a deterrent?

If there was some small level of flexibility to allow for genuine error or because someone needs quick access to load etc - then it would not feel like they are just waiting to pounce in order to reach their monetary target.
    But judging from most of the comments here, the people of Greystones are delighted with the current system - I think thats a pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I like your thinking - how would one qualify for this "Old-Greystonian" badge - some form of quiz? But blow-in's could cheat by reading the Old Greystones thread in this very forum :( Does anyone have a copy of the 1974 01 phone book?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

12489144374_03cbbc5fe5_c.jpg
    You need this

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    You need this

does that come with a Silver Spoon?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

13430884404_cbfe4b0281_c.jpg
    Sure it does :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Zoo4m8

Of course..and a healthy measure of superiority to wind up those with a ' blow in ' complex....:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    You need this

I actually have that mug, can I park for free now?

If there was some small level of flexibility to allow for genuine error or because someone needs quick access to load etc - then it would not feel like they are just waiting to pounce in order to reach their monetary target.
    But judging from most of the comments here, the people of Greystones are delighted with the current system - I think thats a pity.

I would have to agree with you on this point.

I go to greystones village a little as possible, because of parking restrictions.
    I resent having to pay a euro for ten minutes parking in the private carparks.
    I'm afraid to park in a public car park space incase I overrun the time on my ticket.

As many people have mentioned in this thread previously... 15 mins FREE parking in the Meridian car park. I know this to be correct as I have used it man many times without issue. The problem comes in the shape of the ignorant parking by a minority that ruins it for the rest. There is plenty of parking for everyone if people just have a little consideration for other road users. Personally I feel that if I need to do more than 10 mins shopping it is worth the one euro that I pay for proper parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭darsar

Is that you Mrs. Archer?

As many people have mentioned in this thread previously... 15 mins FREE parking in the Meridian car park. I know this to be correct as I have used it man many times without issue. The problem comes in the shape of the ignorant parking by a minority that ruins it for the rest. There is plenty of parking for everyone if people just have a little consideration for other road users. Personally I feel that if I need to do more than 10 mins shopping it is worth the one euro that I pay for proper parking.

I've used it myself, for less than 15 mins, and it didn't work.
    Someone else posted that it was for ten minutes.

Unfortunately I've to go to the village one of the days this week, so I'll try it for ten minutes and let you know.

Did you enter your card in the pay machine or just put in the barrier on the way out?

ellejay wrote: »
    I've used it myself, for less than 15 mins, and it didn't work.
    Someone else posted that it was for ten minutes.

Unfortunately I've to go to the village one of the days this week, so I'll try it for ten minutes and let you know.

Did you enter your card in the pay machine or just put in the barrier on the way out?

Until my other half told me otherwise, I would put my card in the machine and be forced to pay. Now I just drive out and put my card in the barrier with no issue whatsoever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭blankblank

Hey all, genuine question re: the parking in greystones - Ill be there for a full day next week from about 11.00am to 20.00. Where would you recommend parking? Which is the cheapest option for a full day? Any help would be appreciated as I dont know the area at all and dont want to incur a parking fine!

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

Davie89 wrote: »
    Hey all, genuine question re: the parking in greystones - Ill be there for a full day next week from about 11.00am to 20.00. Where would you recommend parking? Which is the cheapest option for a full day? Any help would be appreciated as I dont know the area at all and dont want to incur a parking fine!

Cheapest option. Park in the big Park and Ride carpark. its free and only a couple of minutes walk to the shops. Also you could park at the Harbour carpark which is also free.

Otherwise i think the council carparks (3 of them at different parts of town) are about €6 for all day parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭stanley1980

There's a Park and Ride at the South Beach in Greystones - less than 5 minutes walk from the Dart station on the Main St.
    It's free all day every day!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭blankblank

Perfect thanks guys !!

Advertisement