Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leixlip 5K Road Race - 03/05/2014 11 a.m.

Options
  • 26-02-2014 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Last Year's thread
    2013 Race Course (GPS / Video)
    Last Year's Results

The Leixlip 5K road race 2014 will take place on the 3rd May @ 11 a.m and will mark the start of the Kildare 5K race series. Once again the race will be chip-timed and, as always, the club will be doing our best to replenish all the burned calories at the end! The course will be largely the same as last year, with the last 600m taking place on our new all-weather track.

Online entry will open early in March and will remain open until the day before the race. The online entry fee is €12. Entries will alsi be taken on the day for an increased entry fee (€18)

Last year's event received a 5 star rating from the majority of respondents to the survey here on boards.ie. Over the years, the race has proved popular with serious athletes looking for a challenging race and social runners looking for a fun day out. Here are some of the comments we have received on our previous events.

"Great race today, well marshalled with fantastic local support. Really can't fault it"
    "Great atmosphere, nice flat fast route and well organised."
    "A1 for price, registration, organisation and the fantastic post-race spread. One for the annual race schedule without a doubt! "
    "A real 5 star race. Good course, well marshalled, great finishing area, lots of food & water and a really good family atmosphere at the finish line."

And if you'd like a flavour of raceday, take a look at the footage from 2013.

If you have any questions, please ask or email us at leixlip5k@lecheileac.com

Rate this race based on Scenery, PB potential, Atmosphere, Value, Organisation 2 votes

5 stars (excellent)
    0%
    4 stars (good)
    50%
    shane1981 1 vote
    3 stars (average)
    50%
    mattser 1 vote
    2 stars (poor)
    0%
    1 star (terrible)
    0%

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 3D2S

Great value race. Looking forward to finishing on the gleaming new track this year and of course the brilliant spread of food Le Cheile always put on after the race. Hope to pb this year:D:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

Already looking forward to the cakes afterwards :)....will definitely be doing this race again.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 foreverblue

Certainly one on my calender every year. Great race, great spread after. Nearly always great weather too, however they manage it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I'm 50/50 between this and the Tallaght AC race the following day, certainly do one of them though!

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭regularkev

Online Registration for the race is now available at http://www.fitmagazine.ie/events/race/leixlip-5k

• Advertisement

We're adding junior races for ages 7-16 this year, which will take place on the track from 10:30 a.m. on race day. Entry fee will be €2 per child and will be taken at the registration desk. All participants will receive a medal and early access to the post-race goodies! :)

The race distances are as 200m for U10, 400m for U13 and 800m for U16.

Thats great having the kids races. The whole family can run now! Looking forward to it. Will have to belt around now to make sure the kds dont finish the cakes off first;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 pabeegan

Looking forward to this one - always well organised and great cakes afterwards ! Also nice to finish on the new track.

The lads over on the Weather forum would probably laugh at me for believing forecasts, but met.ie are predicting a good day for the race.

Saturday : Most areas dry, with bright spells, especially in the east and southeast, but cloudy in many areas, with a little patchy rain or drizzle, mainly in Atlantic coastal counties. Max. 13 to 16 Celsius, with light to moderate southerly breezes.

Online Registration will close at 4 p.m. on Friday, so time is running out to get registered for the lower price of €12.

What is the parking situation like this year? Can we park in Lidl this year?

• Advertisement

What is the parking situation like this year? Can we park in Lidl this year?

Yes, LIDL have given us permission to use part of their carpark. There will be signage to show which spaces are available for race participants. If that car park is full, there is also the CIE carpark at Louisa Bridge. The Louisa Bridge car park is pay and display, €4 per day or €3 if you are registered with parkbytext.

Online registration will close @ 16:00 tomorrow, so less that 24 hours to get in at the lower price of €12. As well as our usual spread of baking, there will be a refreshments bag provided by LIDL for all runners at the finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭bewleys berry

Running this race for the first time tomorrow - looking forward to giving it a good bash..... heard nothing but good reports about it and sounds like the organising club pull out all the stops, good on ye......fingers crossed for more nice weather :)

Running this race for the first time tomorrow - looking forward to giving it a good bash..... heard nothing but good reports about it and sounds like the organising club pull out all the stops, good on ye......fingers crossed for more nice weather :)

Hope you enjoy the race. The weather is set fair and we've baked up a storm! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Heliotrope

Brilliant race. First time finishing on a proper track and it was great. PB smashed and belly full of cake. Well done to all involved.

Results are online now on the Red Tag Timing Website. (I'm afraid I've not reached the 50 posts limit to allow me to paste in the URL) Thanks to all who competed today. Hope you had a good time (in every sense). We'd welcome any feedback on the race and how we can improved for 2015.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

regularkev wrote: »
    Results are online now on the Red Tag Timing Website. (I'm afraid I've not reached the 50 posts limit to allow me to paste in the URL) Thanks to all who competed today. Hope you had a good time (in every sense). We'd welcome any feedback on the race and how we can improved for 2015.

Link: http://www.redtagtiming.com/

Great day at the 5k. Kicked off with kids races on the track and then our 5k. Didn't pb but enjoyed finishing on the track. Lovely spread of food after. Thanks to all involved, will be back next year...

Great day! Kids had a ball and collected their medals. Mam and dad then had their race. Super event. Great marshaling, good food and nice to finish on the track. Top 4 under 17 mins! Class event. Will be back next year!

regularkev wrote: »
    Really enjoyed the race. Fast course, weather was perfect, great atmosphere and amazing spread of cakes afterwards!
    Only negative being the late start 2 years in a row (only by a few minutes).
    Also coming around for the 2nd loop of the track, I noticed a lot of people cutting it short (not using the outside lane) so maybe cones and some string to keep people in check could be an idea.
    Will definitely be returning next year

• Advertisement

fletch wrote: »
    Really enjoyed the race. Fast course, weather was perfect, great atmosphere and amazing spread of cakes afterwards!
    Only negative being the late start 2 years in a row (only by a few minutes).
    Also coming around for the 2nd loop of the track, I noticed a lot of people cutting it short (not using the outside lane) so maybe cones and some string to keep people in check could be an idea.
    Will definitely be returning next year

Thanks for your feedback, we'll try and improve on these points for next year. Glad you enjoyed the race and will be coming back in 2015!

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭bewleys berry

Very well organised race and a very good route...........couldn't find fault with anything really and great to finish on such a new pristine athletics track too, although having to do an extra lap of it after passing the 'finishing line' was torture :P

Was quite funny seeing everyone going around clutching the race finishers bags from LIDL - almost a more prized possession than a medal you'd get after plenty of other races :D

Well done Le Cheile......

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭krafty

Photos! :)

racepix.com/Le-Cheile-5KM-2014/racephotos/1116/

Add www dot

Is there a date planned for this year's race yet? Whole family enjoyed the day last year and kids are mad to run again!!

Is there a date planned for this year's race yet? Whole family enjoyed the day last year and kids are mad to run again!!
    "The 2015 race will take place on Saturday May 2nd @ 11 a.m. Details of this year’s race are being finalised now so check back over the next few weeks. Online registration will be open early in February." - http://www.lecheileac.com/wp/index.php/leixlip-5k/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Very good, I haven't tried this one before, maybe it's time to change that :)

Online registration will be open from Monday on precisiontiming.net.

Advertisement