Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What type of work do u do

Options
  • 26-02-2014 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭

What type of work in general do triathletes do and how does it affect ur training
    Manual labour
    Office job
    Somewhere in between

What kinda work do u do 42 votes

Manual labour
    0% 0 votes
    Office job
    9% 4 votes
    Somewhere in between
    90% 38 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

Zebrano wrote: »
    What type of work in general do triathletes do and how does it affect ur training
    Manual labour
    Office job
    Somewhere in between

Office job 9 till 6 2 weeks a mth, 9 till 730 the other 2 weeks. Totally inflexible. Sucks. Moves are a foot to get the fook out.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Office job 9 till 6 2 weeks a mth, 9 till 730 the other 2 weeks. Totally inflexible. Sucks. Moves are a foot to get the fook out.

I thought I was bad with inflexible 9 - 6...eventually got myself 8 - 5 for one week a month!
    Office work is a lot more tiring than manual labour for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Office work with flexi-time and half days on Fridays. Commuting is a b!tch but great training (50km round trip).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Office 9.15 to 5.30 with 1.15 for lunch which is handy for the oul run. Pretty flexible anyway.
    Farming every 2nd/3rd weekend which is tiring

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

0900-1800
    or 0800 - 2000

depends on the day/week/phase of project.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Zebrano wrote: »
    Manual labour
    Office job
    Somewhere in between

I don't think the type of work itself makes a difference.

Working 50 hours minimum at manual labour a few years ago (office work on top), with no kids around to dirupt sleep training 10/12 hours per week was no bother.

Now doing up to 70 hours with kids its a whole new ballgame. No manual work required but challenging & stressful it a mental way. If I did 1/2 hours training last week I was chuffed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭Daz1214

Emergency services so on shift which helps, nights can be a killer though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

AKW wrote: »
    I don't think the type of work itself makes a difference.

physical versus office work i doubt theres much difference

i used to have a creative interesting career... i did no training ( apart from a tiny bit of gaa )
    i now have a boring mind numbing job... im training around 7 hours a week at least :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Suppose another factor is stress - if you job means you cannot sleep.........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

Office job Mon-Fri.
    Typically 9-6 with bouts of extra when needed.

Changing in Apr to a better work/life balance which may or may not prove fruitful.

That will be a desk job flexible 3 days per week, with ideal being an extra 1-2 days per week to supplement (going self employed).

And yes. Training hrs may get a planned boost if all goes well. Even if just getting out more in daytime hrs and working on at home later in evening which is most likely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Office 9-5 Mon - Fri with flexi. Typically i dont leave til 5:30, sometimes 6 and occasionally 7 or 8 but thats rare. I'm on flexi as for about 20 weeks a year i have to work a Saturday and/or Sunday and rather than paying us we're supposed to take time (which doesn't really always happen!)

What is handy though is i have virtually my own dressing room and train every lunchtime. I clock out and while we're only supposed to be gone for 1 hr i can take longer if i don't have something on at 2pm and clock back in and it takes from my balance. Needless to say i never set meetings for 2pm :) I usually take 70-75mins for for lunch (45min session, 10/15 stretching/shower, 10/15mins lunch which i always have with me)

Its great for the months i don't have to work weekends, not so great for spring/summer as thats the weekend work time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Mgt role
    8.00 - 18.00/18.30 and regular enough 21.00 - 23.00 when kids are put to bed.

Flexible that i can gte out for an hour and train during the day, helps de stress. All those power meters don't pay for themselves;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Part time Resource Worker in second chance education. I work 9-5.30 Monday to Wednesday. Great for training, not so good financially.

tunney wrote: »
    Suppose another factor is stress - if you job means you cannot sleep.........

That can be a big factor, a long sleepless night can write the next day off completely

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Office work, 8-5.30 monday to friday. but its the kids that dictate my training more - when I was footloose and fancy free, I'd train straight after work before my evening meal, but now, if I were to do that I'd only see them for a half hour or so before they go to bed. so often I find myself trying to run on a full stomach etc.

Daz1214 wrote: »
    That can be a big factor, a long sleepless night can write the next day off completely
    Im lucky that for maybe 85% of the year there's pressure but not to the point of effecting things. I then have another 10% ive to monitor and take note of and then theres another 5% of the year where i generally crash and near burn-out from what's going on. I now try to structure A races outside of those times! Bad experiences with that before and i do not want to repeat.

I can already see the key stress times this year - 12th to 26th May (not so good for Tri an Mhi HIM!), 14th - 29th July (far enough away from World 70.3's in September hopefully). Around then i need to thread carefully and will likely miss some sessions

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Enterprise software sales in various exotic locations - when in Dublin, work location & hours is very flexible, but most of the time is spent en route to/from, or in Middle East, Africa, Russia etc...

Despite, job, kids etc..., motivation is the main factor as to whether I do anywhere close to the required training...

Every second night that i work is an all nighter so bar an hour swim straight after work, that day is completely wrote off...the shift helps that while the kids are in school i can head off and get good sessions in...also i have a nice 14k loop here in the city where i can get an hour-1.10hr run in before i go on duty

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Desk job - typically 09:00 to 17:00 and then 20:00 or 21:00 for a few hours. Rare weekend stints. Rarely do a sub 50 hour week. Hoping that changes in the coming month or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

More important than manual labor or an office job (also i guess mix between manual labour and office job is the best )
    factors are stress in job like Dave said.
    intenisty in job that can be mental and/or physical
    supportive environment
    and above all personality some people can be 18 hours a day on the go some cant.
    and time managament skills.

• Advertisement

Office work, 8-5.30 monday to friday. but its the kids that dictate my training more - when I was footloose and fancy free, I'd train straight after work before my evening meal, but now, if I were to do that I'd only see them for a half hour or so before they go to bed. so often I find myself trying to run on a full stomach etc.

I hate training after work for this very reason! Ive a 23-25k run today after work so threading carefully with caffeine and what i eat. Nothing worse than an upset tummy when running. It doesn't seem to effect cycling though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

Mixture of both, 3 days a week 10.00-18.00 and 2 days from 1.00-21.00. Makes it easy enough to train, if I ever got able to get up in the mornings I could probably get a session in every day before work. Recently moved job to a new area too, less stress and easier work. Very rarely work weekends and if I do it's when I want to and am able to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Desk job in vendor management role for chemical company.
    Luckily I have flexi time and can run regularly 10-12 miles during lunch.
    Commute 55km each way and usually in from about 8am untill 7pm some days
    I hate those 2hrs lost each day

European wide travel is becoming more frequent, I always pack my running shoes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

'European wide travel is becoming more frequent',

that is another killer, only topped by frequent overseas travelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭StaggerLee

Office Job 8:30 -17:00, inflexible. No weekends, and I make a point of leaving on time.

I try and generally manage to get all of my weekday training before or during work with morning swims, strength work and lunchtime runs. Lunch tends to go way over an hour. Although, this week the office shower is broke, which has sped things up a bit. Although... nobody has complained about the funk, so might continue to skip the wash, get an extra km or 2 in :o

With kids, training in the evening doesnt work for me, they go mad if I come in and go straight back out. After the madness of bedtime, training generally pointless. But I do at least 1 turbo in the evening during the week, but its a big effort to get out to it. Wiped out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

I was in a desk job, 9-6 Mon-Fri, no overtime and no weekend.

Now I'm a tax collector, in that I collect your taxes from the post office. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Office job (software development), 08:45-17:00, flexible start and finish times, usually only take 30 minutes for lunch. No weekends, thankfully.

Usually train straight after work - getting in the pool before 6pm is an absolute necessity due to the crowds that seem to appear out of nowhere between 6 and 7. I am not a morning person in the slightest, and this needs to change so I can move to swimming in the mornings (pool opens at 6:30am).

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭kal7

Work as osteopath 10am to 7pm monday to friday.

Pretty physical, suppose helps my strength, but less energy to train. Also I demo stretches and core stability exercises to patients so that is minor bonus.

Work downstairs so no bike/ run to commute.

Advertisement