Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ashling Hotel or Clontarf Castle

Options
  • 26-02-2014 10:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

Heading out in Dublin this weekend with herself and have the option of staying in either the Ashling Hotel or Clontarf Castle.

Same rate at each hotel so price isn't the deciding factor.

Basically the plan is to arrive lunchtime, bit of grub, few drinks in the afternoon, head to a gig and few drinks after.

Any thoughts on where's the better option?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Clontarf has a better wow factor I think.
    It's out a bit from the city, so more relaxing.
    Still close enough to get into town though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

Depends.

Clontarf Castle is fab - beautiful building and beautiful location. But it is a little out of town, so you would need to bus or taxi into town. Bus should take about 15 minutes so it's not too bad really.

Aisling not as salubrious, but closer to town. You can walk or take the Luas into town. Handy if you are going to a gig in the O2 as you can take the Luas directly there

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Where is the gig? If it is in the O2, the Aisling is a no brainer. It is in town and it on the Luas line, which will take you directly to the O2, before and after the gig. You can also walk into town pretty easily if you want to. The Clontarf Castle is out in the suburbs, in a quiet residential ares. It is a nicer hotel, but you'll need to get a bus/taxi into town and another taxi/Luas to the venue. It is near the coast road though, so if you feel like going for a nice stroll the next morning, its a nice spot for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Chickus

I like Clontarf Castle..Lovely rooms, lovely food and fab breakfast :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Clontarf Castle by a country mile.. Even if the gig in on in the O2 it'll only be a tenner there, and much much nicer that the Ashling Hotel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

I stayed in the Ashling about a year ago. It's a pretty decent 4* now. Comfortable rooms, nice public areas and very handy for town.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

I liked the old Ashling. A bit dated towards the end, maybe, but there was a good atmosphere and the staff were friendly. The Celtic Tiger makeover and change of ownership and management seemed to me to disimprove that side of things. But then again, I haven't much patronised the new Ashling,

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭dubbie82

Clontarf Castle is more romantic, special and unique than the Aishling. But the Aishling is very nice too. You have good choice of Pubs and restaurants nearby, ( Ryans, Nancy Hands, Juno's) plus transport is better. But a cabride after a show to Clontarf won't cost a fortune either.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

dubbie82 wrote: »
    Clontarf Castle is more romantic, special and unique than the Aishling. But the Aishling is very nice too. You have good choice of Pubs and restaurants nearby, ( Ryans, Nancy Hands, Juno's) plus transport is better. But a cabride after a show to Clontarf won't cost a fortune either.

Yes, the Ashling is better for transport, and the pubs nearby are good.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭unir1916

i would head to the ashling,right on the luas line so very handy for travelling to and from town,as mentioned some good pubs,restaurants and coffee shops 1 minute walk away and also right across the road from guinesses if you fancied doing the tour,short bus trip to killmainham jail,which is a great tour imo,phoenix park and zoo are 5 minutes walk away if you fancied a nice stroll after breakfast and finally the jameson distillery is 2 stops away on the luas,about 2 mins, and they also do a very good tour,anyway what ever you decide have a great weekend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭supersonic64

Similar request here headin to Dublin for my 50th birthday weekend on 21st.two kids in student accomodation in Griffith Ave and Hazelwood,
    Was thinking of Clontarf Castle, Grand Hotel Malahide or somewhere like that??
    Kids would be joining us on saturday for meal etc. Any further recommendations, I'm open to ideas.Will stay 2 nights B&B.
    If anyone has any ideas on gigs.theatre,shows for that weekend i'd also be happy to hear. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

Clontarf Castle is lovely and it is in such a lovely location in comparison to the Ashling Hotel. Regular bus (130) goes into town from Clontarf in addition to the Dart. Plus taxis aren't that expensive in and out of town.

Similar request here headin to Dublin for my 50th birthday weekend on 21st.two kids in student accomodation in Griffith Ave and Hazelwood,
    Was thinking of Clontarf Castle, Grand Hotel Malahide or somewhere like that??
    Kids would be joining us on saturday for meal etc. Any further recommendations, I'm open to ideas.Will stay 2 nights B&B.
    If anyone has any ideas on gigs.theatre,shows for that weekend i'd also be happy to hear. Thanks

Over all, I'd go with the Grand in Malahide. There is a lot more to see and do in Malahide. There are loads of shops in the village to mooch around. There are also loads of restaurants and pubs and coffee shops to choose from. Malahide Castle is within a short walk of the village and that is a lovely place to spend an afternoon. Then there is the walk along the coast to Portmarnock, if you feel like getting out for some fresh air. It is a bit further out than Clontarf, but it is on the Dart line and the bus line, so its easy enough for the kids to get out to you.

If you are planning on spending all of your time in town, then Clontarf would be the best bet. There isn't as much to do or see there compared to Malahide, but as it is nearer to town, taxi fares to/from it would be fairly cheap & bus journeys would be shorter. It is also closer to where the kids are.

This is a good website to check out what is on in Dublin.

http://doindublin.ie/

Ok, so we settled on Clontarf Castle and will travel to Dublin on 21st March and meet up with the kids in the early evening.Any suggestions on where to eat in the Clontarf/Drumcondra area or should we just ask them to come to hotel and eat there?
    All suggestions welcome.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Ok, so we settled on Clontarf Castle and will travel to Dublin on 21st March and meet up with the kids in the early evening.Any suggestions on where to eat in the Clontarf/Drumcondra area or should we just ask them to come to hotel and eat there?
    All suggestions welcome.

I wouldn't be too gone on the food in the Castle for an evening treet. The Castle's great and I think you made a good choice for accommodation. If you google map the Castle and then check out Vernon Ave. It's a nice walking distance from The Castle. At the end of Vernon Ave. there's a number of really nice restaurants that'd be much more suited for a birthday dinner. Maloughney's would be own preference but you've also got Picasso and a fish restaurant called Hemmingways, all smart and reasonably priced.

There's a nice pub beside these restaurants called The Sheds- it's lovely for a few drinks after dinner.

If you like Indian food, check out Kinara on the Coast Road, next to the Bull Wall bridge.
    It's one of the best in Dublin! May need a booking.
    Also worth checking out Restaurant 1014 nearby.

Is it necessary to make reservations for Clontarf on a Friday evening or does it vary by venue? Good reviews for quality and price on menupages.ie on Picasso's,Tibor's,Downstairs,1014,Bay,Pepper, Maloughney's and Casa Pasta

Is it necessary to make reservations for Clontarf on a Friday evening or does it vary by venue? Good reviews for quality and price on menupages.ie on Picasso's,Tibor's,Downstairs,1014,Bay,Pepper, Maloughney's and Casa Pasta

It may really vary to be honest. Better to book to be safe!
    And don't rule out Kinara unless you don't like Indian!

Picasso - A more formal Italian with good food. It's expensive enough. Worth checking the menu.
    Tibors - Sometimes this place seems empty. Not sure how they are surviving to be honest. Wasn't 'wowed' by the food and wouldn't go back as there's better nearby.
    Downstairs - getting v good reviews.
    1014 - Solid restaraunt and relaxed setting with lovely view. Ask for window table if possible.
    Bay - Can be somewhat cramped and noisy. Probably would need a booking as seating is limited. Good menu though and food is good. Nice views too.
    Pepper - Yet to go, but it's been getting great reviews for some excellent food. Mostly steaks? check menu.
    Maloughneys - very popular for lunch and dinner. Good food, done well.
    Casa Pasta - to be honest, this is more cheap and cheerful. Good Italian / and mix of other foods. It's small enough, so can get noisy - booking required due to limited seating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

I'd make reservations if it were me. 1014 is lovely, that or Kinara

I'd deffo make a booking, especially if it is on a Friday night. You probably wouldn't have a problem getting a table if you are there early enough, say 5.30/6ish. But I've done that in restaurants in the area & been told that they need the table back by a certain time, as they have a reservation for it. It doesn't exactly make for a relaxing dining experience, knowing that you have to stuff your gob and get the heck outa there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement