Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planning on moving to Sydney

Options
  • 26-02-2014 10:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭

Hi guys. Was originally planning on going to Oz in July on my own but circumstances have changed. A friend of mine has been home for a few weeks and is heading back over at the end of March to Sydney. I have known him all my life so I see it fit to go with him instead of alone in July.

Was just wondering what Sydney will be like as regards employment this side of the year. I have look on Seek at it seems there is plenty of jobs plus we have contacts in Sydney anyway.

Also, how much should I be looking to bring over realistically. May need to borrow an extra few quid.

Any other useful links would also be great. We plan on staying in a hostel, get a job then a house with a few people.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Phil UGC

Generally speaking there is work available all year round in Sydney. How hard you will find it will depend on your skills and what you are prepared to do. The Irish usually do well in telemarketing, people like the accent. It's not a job many enjoy, but can pay reasonably well if you can sell and work for a legit company, and you will pick up sales skill which are good to have.

Cost of living: I would budget on an absolute minimum of $500 a week, and you won't do much partying with that. For a more comfortable time I personally would budget on $700 a week. Some people will do it on less, it depends on how you are living. Just the backpackers will cost $200 - $250+ a week. Some of the backpackers may be able to point you in the right direction for work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 izzypopple

there is work here but it all really depends on what work you are looking for, experience & qualifications.

Sydney isn't cheap, cost of living is expensive.
    As a previous poster said $500 very min a week.
    Decent central hostels are pricy.

It's hard to say how much exactly for you to bring over because it will all depend on where you plan on living, how much socializing you plan on doing and how quick you get work. I have friends that got work in a week then others that were waiting weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭McGeezerr

I would do literally any work at all. Surely if I tried as hard as I do to get work here it wouldn't be that hard. We know a good few people over there so surely they will have some prospects of work. I was even thinking of applying the week before I arrive and try to hit the ground running.

As for socializing it's the last thing on my list. My priority is work and settling down. Plan is to stay in a hostel for a few days, get work, get a house.

Advertisement