Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How to get car back on the road with car tax arrears?

• 26-02-2014 11:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

I've been out of work for some time (doing some training to get a qualification to get something) and I've had the car off the road. I'm in Kildare and public transport to work isn't an option.

My car was last taxed in June 12 and the back tax / arrears is now about €1500.
    I didn't declare the car off the road. In retrospect I know this was stupid but I was sending CVs while doing the course and hoped that I'd get something.
    Anyway .. that's the situation and I have to deal with it.

My problem is that I can't afford the €1500 car tax but I still need to get the car on the road for interviews and hope to start back to work very soon (there's a few iron's in the fire).

I've asked at my local garage about the possibility of paying the arrears in stages at the motor tax office and he just laughed .. wondering if anyone know if they offer this options under any circumstance?

My other option would be to sell the car and buy a banger .. but really that isn't a runner as if I don't have the €1500 for arrears I don't have it for a banger.

The last options .. and this is why I'm writing .. I've read on the Irish Indo that there's been a huge jump in people selling their cars and the new owner not having to pay the past tax and arrears. Please don't write a lot of hate replies/spam saying I'm trying to avoid road tax .. I'm not .. if I could pay the arrears now I would .. if there was a way to pay in stages I would .. but without those options what can I do?

Does anyone know if it's possible to sell the car to a friend .. ask her to tax it for a year .. then buy it back? When I then go to tax it in my name would the arrears be waiting for me? Actually I don't mind if they are .. as that will give me the opportunity to save up and pay it .. again I'm not trying to avoid car tax .. but I'd like to know that it would be waiting because then I know I've got to put aside €125 per month to then tax the car in month 13.

If anyone knows any gottya's with this plan I'd appreciate it.
    If anyone knows any way I can get my car on the road any other way again I'd appreciate it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,468 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

What you're suggesting will work.
    Doesn't make it right or moral or legal or whatever but it will work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭e.r

Put log book in spouse's name tax car from then simples.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

I thought the new law brought in meant that the new owner was liable for any tax owed? Open to correction btw!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭e.r

I thought the new law brought in meant that the new owner was liable for any tax owed? Open to correction btw!

You could be dead right, my bro did it last year thou

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

No , the new owner isnt liable, so this may be away around it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭debabyjesus

Nope, clean slate. However, technically the seller would still be liable for the tax owed. Maybe they will close this loophole and start chasing back-tax as it's open to strategic 'selling' and buying back at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,200 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

I recently taxed a new (used) car that had been off the road a while, tax was out since September last year. There was no mention of arrears, had to pay from the date on the change of ownership. Maybe they will pursue the old owner for the arrears, I doubt it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,399 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Just change ownership.
    You were off the road so it's fair enough.
    Mistake you made was not declaring it off road when new system came in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,271 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

As said just transfer ownership to a spouse and then get him/her to tax it. Arrears don't stay with the previous owner or transfer to the new owner.

Just be aware of the insurance stance though, insurance companies normally want the registered owner to be the main policy holder. I'd be transferring registration back into your name not long after your spouse receives the new log book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

But also, in the eyes of the insurer, they see it as your car as soon as the moneys has been transferred...

Anyway, easiest option, sell it, regret said decision, buy it back.

It's not illegal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

colm_mcm wrote: »
    What you're suggesting will work.
    Doesn't make it right or moral or legal or whatever but it will work.
    Nothing illegal in selling a car to a friend and buying it back.

mickeyk wrote: »
    I recently taxed a new (used) car that had been off the road a while, tax was out since September last year. There was no mention of arrears, had to pay from the date on the change of ownership. Maybe they will pursue the old owner for the arrears, I doubt it though.

They won't chase him. No legal grounds for doing so.

Nope, clean slate. However, technically the seller would still be liable for the tax owed. .

Seller wouldn't be technically liable for tax owed.
    Person becomes due to pay motor tax arrears only at the moment of paying tax.
    If car is sold, there is nothing due to be paid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

I beleive there is a mechanism for a car long term off the road from before the regs came in. Search the website, 'm sure you can do this properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭wotswattage

What about once you buy it back?
    Are you liable for the period during which you previously owned the car? I'd imagine not..

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭140490

I just did this thing last week, instead of paying 450 now i only have to pay 179 for new 3 months tax!! Happy days :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,050 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

What about once you buy it back?
    Are you liable for the period during which you previously owned the car? I'd imagine not..
    Your imagination is correct ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭wotswattage

First time for everything :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 pinky1312

Im in the same situation, how do you tax your car in the other name without an insurance policy number??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

im about to sell the car to my friend then when the log book goes to his address, "buy" it back

not paying the €200 arrears I currently owe. pmsl

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,051 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

pinky1312 wrote: »
    Im in the same situation, how do you tax your car in the other name without an insurance policy number??

You need an insurance policy.

You need an insurance policy.

They dont care, I didnt have my details back in Dec and he said, dont worry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,051 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

They dont care, I didnt have my details back in Dec and he said, dont worry

If you are doing it online you need to enter a number, however you can enter anything you like and it will let you through.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 pinky1312

That's what I was wondering if I just put down any policy number will they check who's name the policy is in?

pinky1312 wrote: »
    That's what I was wondering if I just put down any policy number will they check who's name the policy is in?

think they are just interested in the credit card details being correct tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Wicklabman

Same situation, but will I have to change my insurance aswell and then change it back to make it look like I'm starting a new policy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Wicklabman wrote: »
    Same situation, but will I have to change my insurance aswell and then change it back to make it look like I'm starting a new policy?

Nope just the tax but you can't be insured to drive a car you don't own.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Dee light1

Hi there, I'm in similar predicament to yourself and was wondering if you went with the changin ownership option? I was reading on independant.ie that it is not illegal and am thinking of going down that route as after being unemployed and now finding work I need car but can't afford the arrears.

Thanks a mill

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Wicklabman

["Dee light1;91140235"]
    Hi, I have literally just sent the tax book away this morning in my friends name . Not sure if it's better to to get my friend to tax it or change it back to my name and then tax it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Dee light1

Hi there, after trawling internet and discussion boards it seems if your friend were to tax it would have to use an insurance policy number and that could b risky if it's stil insured on your policy. Looks like better to just send back without taxing and get back in your name again. Anything could have happened for "sale" to have went wrong and u had to take back car so general opinion and on independant.ie is nothing illegal being done. ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement