Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How to get car back on the road with car tax arrears?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

daveohdave wrote: »
    And you didn't SORD it because?

I saw loop holes before the deadline. One car will be gone to a new owner when Im done with it so no need there. And the other, well, paperwork isnt my strong suit and when it came back to me I just thought to hell with it. Ill transfer ownership and SORD it tge the easy way.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 483 ✭✭daveohdave

Yeah, laws are for other people.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

ironclaw wrote: »
    With all due respect, its that overall attitude of denial of responsibility that has our world and country in the state its in. In the words of Fr. Stack "I had my fun and thats all that matters"

Irregardless of where the money for motor tax goes, or how unfair it is as a system (And I agree, it is!) or how its misspent, every motorist has an obligation to pay it. Its part and parcel of being on the road. By not paying it, you're basically ignoring your obligation (And the law) and sticking two fingers up to the rest of us who share the road with you. Economically, and I have no idea how this is done in the tax office, but if you owe them €3k and you decide not to pay it, that €3k has to be accounted for and written off. It just doesn't disappear because John down the road sold his car to avoid paying it. Someone, somewhere has to pick up the line of credit.

On a small scale, your operating like the banks who owe millions. Trying to walk away from credit you owe to society. And although its perfectly legal (No argument there) its completely morally objectionable in my eyes.

The problem with taking a moral stance on this is that it is absolutely 100% legal. Its not like the old "3 months on 3 months off" scam, which involved making an illegal false declaration and amounted to little more than fraud; in this case the law is quite clear in that if you transfer ownership of a car any outstanding tax arrears disappear. Okay its not legal to drive while the arrears is building, but you can thank lack of Garda enforcement/lack of a proper system to deal with motor tax for that.

Arrears are only due at the point where you go to pay them, and the system is there to allow for arrears to be legally wiped without payment, so even if its a loophole, it is for the government to sort it out and there is no blame on people if they choose to take advantage of it. If the law was written properly and a proper system was in place then it wouldnt be an issue. If we cant write laws properly without leaving glaring loopholes then this is the consequence.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

Yeah, laws are for other people.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭roofer1988

I'd love to know who was justifying it as legal in the Indo, to me it looks like clear tax evasion. I'm not even sure it should be considered motor tax any more, SORN is hardly complicated or difficult. It's a tax on stupidity and/or laziness.

I hope they start chasing people for the tax not paid before a change of ownership. They'd be perfectly entitled to do it, it's clearly unpaid tax.

And no, I'm not wumming. And yes, I would pay the arrears, because I wouldn't be so stupid as to let it go on for more than a quarter.

You must be earning it fine and soft. Just because i dont like giving money away to scroungers every year. i do enough of that

• Advertisement

I'm earning it hard, but I pay my way and I don't steal from people or my country.

How you can call others scrounging when you're scrounging yourself is beyond me. You're stealing from your own pocket, never mind anyone else's

I'm earning it hard, but I pay my way and I don't steal from people or my country.

How you can call others scrounging when you're scrounging yourself is beyond me. You're stealing from your own pocket, never mind anyone else's

Im Not scrounging never did just dont like my money being used to feed fellows that stay in bed all day and go round causing trouble at night and then they prob get free legal aid and then they go to jail so i have to feed them there too. Then they come out and the whole thing starts again. not saying your one of those people btw. off the topic now so i will stop

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

haha if people have money to waste to give to the government fine, you will get no thanks from them or anyone else. I would never give those ***** a penny unless I really have to. If there is a tax loophole ill use it and ill tell as many people I can as well

Its not as if the government having more money are going to be more sensible with their spending anyway

people who think it is "the right thing to do" lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

Maybe its just the accountant in me but I cannot see anyone that is rational paying a penny more than they are legally obliged to. Every business in the country seeks to minimise tax liability so individuals should also do the same, look out for yourself but stay within the laws. Interesting debate though, stay safe, stay legal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭kult

I always "sell" car and then buy it back. This way can save a lot of money over years. The same with TV license, there is a way around it even when facet with Gardai and TV inspector. Never in my life paid a TV license and not going too.

• Advertisement

kult wrote: »
    I always "sell" car and then buy it back. This way can save a lot of money over years. The same with TV license, there is a way around it even when facet with Gardai and TV inspector. Never in my life paid a TV license and not going too.

Good man. I like it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Bit of a joke really, I was fairly bad in hospital for about 4/5 weeks between 2 months. Couldn't eat, go toilet or even walk. Let alone declare my car off the road in fact last thing on my mind. I'm just starting to drive again and have to tax the car. Back tax of 2 months, there should be a system that if you can prove without a doubt with paper work that the car was not in use then the backtax is 0.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭wardy2

narmst wrote: »
    Does anyone know if it's possible to sell the car to a friend .. ask her to tax it for a year .. then buy it back? When I then go to tax it in my name would the arrears be waiting for me?

The arrears will be still there when you buy the car back...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

<snip> SORN is hardly complicated or difficult. It's a tax on stupidity and/or laziness.<snip>

What the hell is SORN ????
    Is that the Uk system of declaring a car off the road ?
    I know we have a system called SORD in Ireland .
    Maybe that's what you are aiming for....:rolleyes:

...and SORD isn't a Tax on anything. It is exactly the opposite of a Tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

wardy2 wrote: »
    The arrears will be still there when you buy the car back...

Of course they will :rolleyes:

Of course they will :rolleyes:

Strange, I do it all the time and there were never any areas, letters or problems.

kult wrote: »
    Strange, I do it all the time and there were never any areas, letters or problems.

Sorry, that was my point, I was being sarcastic above.

Sorry, that was my point, I was being sarcastic above.

ok, sorry, did not get that;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    What the hell is SORN ????
    Is that the Uk system of declaring a car off the road ?
    I know we have a system called SORD in Ireland .
    Maybe that's what you are aiming for....:rolleyes:

...and SORD isn't a Tax on anything. It is exactly the opposite of a Tax.

Jesus, pedantic or what? :rolleyes:

Declaration, Notification; who gives a toss what its a called - I doubt anybody in this thread was in any doubt as to what the poster was referring to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

haha if people have money to waste to give to the government fine, you will get no thanks from them or anyone else. I would never give those ***** a penny unless I really have to. If there is a tax loophole ill use it and ill tell as many people I can as well

Its not as if the government having more money are going to be more sensible with their spending anyway

people who think it is "the right thing to do" lol

There in lies the problem. If you find a legal loophole you don't tell anyone.
    Shouting it out that there's a loophole just gets loopholes shut down. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

djimi wrote: »
    Jesus, pedantic or what? :rolleyes:

Declaration, Notification; who gives a toss what its a called - I doubt anybody in this thread was in any doubt as to what the poster was referring to.

If somebody wants to post here about a Tax (which is not a tax), and then call it a Tax on stupidity....and can't even get the name of the bloody thing right....sorry if I upset somebody related to you.;)

....maybe some people on here really do give a toss what it's called.
    You can only speak for yourself, not everyone else.:p

The tax reference was to the arrears. Seems pretty clear to me, unless it's quoted out of context like you did there.

SORD was copied directly from the UK; and then mangled of course, as our legislators like to do.

I'm sorry you find my posts so complicated, I'll try to dumb them down a bit in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭GL scrappy

mgbgt1978 wrote: »

....maybe some people on here really do give a toss what it's called.

Well, I am curious what it's called, because I've been trying to find info about renewing it lately and googling "S.O.R.D." doesn't help much.
    Anything official, such as the RF150 form, calls it "Declaration of Non-Use of a Motor Vehicle". So why don't we make up a catchy acronym for that? DONUMV anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

Hi Guys..

Hope this thread isn't too old to be digging up.

From what I read here so, if I wanted to avoid the tax arrears on my car, I could just Transfer Ownership of the car to my wife?

Is it as simple as that? Does it matter if it's the same address?

After she then "owns" it, she can tax it for 3 months, then she could transfer it back to me?

Thanks for any help.

MrFrisp wrote: »
    Hi Guys..

Hope this thread isn't too old to be digging up.

From what I read here so, if I wanted to avoid the tax arrears on my car, I could just Transfer Ownership of the car to my wife?

Is it as simple as that? Does it matter if it's the same address?

After she then "owns" it, she can tax it for 3 months, then she could transfer it back to me?

Thanks for any help.

Ya that will work. But can you live with the shame though? :P

Ya that will work. But can you live with the shame though? :P

Yeah, somehow I think I'll manage. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Ritchie10

Does anyone know if the loophole in car tax arrears is still in force, ie change ownership and tax the car in new name.

Ritchie 10

Ritchie10 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the loophole in car tax arrears is still in force, ie change ownership and tax the car in new name.

Ritchie 10

No it's been closed.

It worked for me last week.

I just changed the ownership of the car over to my wife. The form came back in a few days, and I send off the car tax for the 3 months, and it's all sorted now.

No arrears.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Ritchie10

Thanks for that........

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement