Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working nights without a Night contract

Options
  • 27-02-2014 12:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi There,

Recently my company launched a night shift trial which I put myself up for after being asked. I received an amendment to my contract for this for three months, a temporary adjustment to my existing contract to work at least 3 night time hours to receive a premium etc. This contract states that after the 3 months my contract reverts back to my normal contract with the previous benefits.

When the deadline came I was asked to continue in the night shift which I agreed to. This was 2 months ago. I have yet to receive a new contract (I also got a new title for being made permanent on the night shift). I have asked for a new contract repeatedly but have not received anything, just been told not to worry about it.

Before I take the issue above my line manager, I wanted to ask whether there was anything I should be worried about. Namely if I'm insured if something happens during the night (my normal contract states that my working hours are between 7 am and 11 pm) and whether I could go back to my normal shift and stop doing the night shift or whether this is something I could be let go even without a contract.

Any help would be appreciated, I am not clear of what my rights / options here are.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Are you having any problems? Are they still paying you the premium rate? If the answers are No and Yes, then I think you're overthinking it.

And re insurance: you are not insured (no matter what shift). Your employer is insured for the actions of their staff, and the risks they face. You as their employee are covered by their insurance. I cannot see that what your employment contract says would affect this, especially as there's now precedent for you working different hours.

Advertisement