Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Late Late Show Eurosong 2014 Special (February 28th)

• 27-02-2014 1:22am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Mesdames et Messieurs,

It is time to choose a representative from our Nation for the annual Eurovision Festival of European Song which will be held in Copenhagen in May.

Ireland is the most successful country in the history of the competition. Can we roll back the years and bring it back home this year? Probably not, but here is the class of 2014

RTE chose five mentors and they have undertaken an extensive search through the cream of Ireland's Musical talent mostly selected their friends and family (and in some cases, their own songs). May God have mercy on their souls

Patricia Roe - Don't Hold On (Song written by herself, Mentor Valerie Roe)

Eoghan Quigg - The Movie Song (Song written by Karl Broderick, Mentor Mark Murphy)

Can-Linn featuring Casey Smith - Heartbeat (Song written by Hazel Kaneswaran, Jonas Gladnikoff, Rasmus Palmgren and Patrizia Helander. Mentor Hazel Kaneswaran)

Andrew Mann - Be Mine (Song written by Cormac Battle, Mentor Cormac Battle)

Laura O'Neill - You Don't Remember Me (Song written by Don Mescall and Lucie Silvas, Mentor Billy McGuinness)

The winner will be decided by a combination of a Public Vote and a Regional Jury Vote.

Expect to hear such comments as:
    "Why don't we send My Lovely Horse?"
    "Why don't we send Johnny Logan?"
    "I don't think we should enter anymore, it's all a fix"
    "OMG - <Hollwood A-Lister #1> and <Hollywood A-Lister #2> are so funny on
    Graham Norton's Show"
    "Even more misery than usual"
    "Where's the Kitteh and Puppeh? :mad:"
    "Wasn't he in X Factor?"
    "Wasn't she in Louis Walsh's Girlband?, the one that broke up?"
    "Airplane is on E4+1 - Don't call me Shirley!"

The show goes on until 11.45pm so it's an XL LLS. There will be a few more guests, possibly Eurovision related. Details of them to follow. And a Poll.

Here's Ryan Tubridy wearing Johnny Logan's suit
    1978877_647928398575566_1876917868_n-500x500.jpg

This is a cat (giving a critique of our 2013 entry)

and here's Linda Martin with her dog
    2011-01-linda-martin-and-dog-3.jpg

Update - Louis Walsh, Linda Martin, Eoghan McDermott and Maia Dunphy will be on the panel to consider and discuss the songs. The RTE Canteen well represented there.

Johnny Logan will perform a Medley Mashup of his three Eurovision winners - What's Another Year, Hold Me Now and Why Me.

johnny-logan-for-pope.jpg?w=300&h=180

And Charlie McGettigan and Paul Harrington reprise their Eurovision winner, Rock n Roll Kids. Sure why not?

Eurosong 2014: Who do you like? 167 votes

Patricia Roe - Don't Hold On
    0% 0 votes
    Eoghan Quigg - The Movie Song
    5% 9 votes
    Can-Linn Featuring Kasey Smith - Heartbeat
    19% 32 votes
    Andrew Mann - Be Mine
    67% 112 votes
    Laura O'Neill - You Don't Remember Me
    8% 14 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Dougal: I've got Eurosong fever, Ted.
    Ted: Yeah?
    Dougal: Oh god, yeah. I love the Eurosong competition. I just can't wait. What time is it now?
    Ted: Half past one.
    Dougal: Half one?! And the competition is on in...
    Ted: May.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,598 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Any word on who will make up the 'expert' panel? :D

Drum roll...

The panel will be...Louis Walsh, Linda Martin, Maia Dunphy and Eoghan McDermott!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

Ans don't forget you'll have Ryan explaining the rules about 40 times coz they are sooooo complicated!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

SarahBM wrote: »
    Ans don't forget you'll have Ryan explaining the rules about 40 times coz they are sooooo complicated!

And the songs being replayed 170 times because they have to fill the show somehow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

SarahBM wrote: »
    And the songs being replayed 170 times because they have to fill the show somehow.

And Brian Ormond, Sinead Kennedy and other kids' TV presenters announcing the results of the regional jury votes, each awarding points on a 12-10-8-6-4 basis, before the televote uses a 60-50-40-30-20 basis.

Paddy Power make Can-Linn and Kasey the 4/6 favourites - not surprising considering that their song is the best of the five by quite a bit, and that Kasey took part in last year's Eurosong special.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

If I happened to be an aspiring songwriter in Ireland today trying to break into the business I'd either cry or hit the bottle on Friday....:(

Talk about a "closed shop" selection process.

It's like "Little Kiev" in Montrose.

Great OP Skid!....You reminded me to put the kitteh to bed early. I'm not in the mood to replace the telly after the ear assault!!...;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Patricia Roe is making a Eurosong return. She entered the National Song Contest way back in 1980 :eek:, with her band Roemance. I think that's one of her sisters with her, possibly Valerie. This only managed to come equal 5th, well behind Johnny Logan.

Valerie and Patricia Roe also sang backing vocals for Malta at the 1994 Eurovision

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,981 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    No Jedward

Well, maybe it was time to give another Irish X Factor contestant a chance. :D;)

Eoghan's the second-favourite at 13/8, but it's probably fair to say that his chances of making it out of the semi-final are lower than Kasey's...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,745 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Anybody know what they give the audience nowadays? What did they give the audience last week?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,964 ✭✭✭For Reals

If I happened to be an aspiring songwriter in Ireland today trying to break into the business I'd either cry or hit the bottle on Friday....:(

Talk about a "closed shop" selection process.

It's like "Little Kiev" in Montrose.

Great OP Skid!....You reminded me to put the kitteh to bed early. I'm not in the mood to replace the telly after the ear assault!!...;)

Excuse you! The fact that the Roes are connected with the Montrose glitterati, chums with Louis, know pretty much everyone due to Valerie running Lillies Bordello for years doesn't mean she didn't earn her stripes in the music biz. She tried and failed to jump on the boy/girl band wagon after all ;) ...actually yeah...its pretty disgraceful. We're funding family dynasties and their various whims.
    Hazel is famous for being on panels, but again, failed pop star who went through the audition of knowing the same clique.
    Using any x Factor affiliates as either judges or acts is just to legitimise the franchise and jobs for the boys or girls.

Was it not more fun when nobodies like us got to vote for nobodies like us?
    Of the lot I'd go with 'Heartbeat', not my personal pick, but very Eurovision sounding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Taxburden carrier

Anybody know what they give the audience nowadays? What did they give the audience last week?

Valium ?

You couldn't make up Patricia Roe's PR campaign

http://www.leinsterleader.ie/what-s-on/arts-culture-entertainment/kildare-woman-patricia-roe-a-hot-favourite-for-eurosong-win-1-5901962
    The video that accompanies ‘Don’t Hold On’ is now available on Youtube. It features featuring aerial footage of Patricia astride a beautiful Irish horse galloping on a beach with breathtaking red skies shot in Brittas Bay in Co Wicklow.

My lovely horse, running through the waves ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Anybody got tickets to this that they don't want? A woman I know is trying to get her special needs daughter in to see Eoghan, she is his biggest fan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

Great OP, Skid! I will end up watching, for the sake of the thread :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19 basemann

It's all about who you know in Ireland it seems. One of them picked her sister as both writer and singer and two of the other Mentors wrote or co-wrote the song themselves. Isin't that an amazing co - incidence? They searched the land to find the best writer to find it was .. themselves! I know it's a bit of fluff but you the tax payer pays to fund RTE who in turn funds the campain which costs up to €250,000 in travel,hotels to get to the event so shouldn't it be all above board and be fair considering the perks for those involved? If a government minister decided to bring his sister to Paddy's day in New York courtesy of the taxpayers there would be war so whats the difference?

The good bit though is that with all their connections they can't write a song that is up to standard. You can't buy talent so watch this years effort crash and burn.

Very little most weeks ... A Hamper of cosmetics or One Night at a Hotel, that kind of thing. You don't even get a Weekend away anymore, unless you pool your voucher with whoever you came with to the LLS.

The Toy Show is the only night where the audience get anything worthwhile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,912 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Some shocking songs there, Heartbeat the best of a bad lot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭cofy

Patricia Roe reminds me of Kirsty Alley

l5g1.jpg

1. Heartbeat
    2. You don't remember me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

Skid X wrote: »
    You couldn't make up Patricia Roe's PR campaign

http://www.leinsterleader.ie/what-s-on/arts-culture-entertainment/kildare-woman-patricia-roe-a-hot-favourite-for-eurosong-win-1-5901962

My lovely horse, running through the waves ...

Where are you going with your fetlocks blowing...I love that episode of Fr Ted.

• Advertisement

Johnny Logan will be performing a medley mash up of his three Eurovision winning songs - namely What's Another Year?, Hold Me Now and Why Me?

Oh yeah.

JohnnyLogan-150x150.jpg

And Charlie McGettigan and Paul Harrington will sing Rock n Roll Kids.

Oh yeah.

JohnnyLogan-150x150.jpg

I know who looks better in the white suit!!...:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,778 ✭✭✭✭walshb

After the toy show this edition is the worst!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Can't wait for tonight!

DLB looks actually good in that white suit!
    Dapper lanky b_____?

Whoa Johnny L will be on it tonight???? Seriously?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 408 ✭✭NormanNicetouch

basemann wrote: »
    It's all about who you know in Ireland it seems. One of them picked her sister as both writer and singer and two of the other Mentors wrote or co-wrote the song themselves. Isin't that an amazing co - incidence? They searched the land to find the best writer to find it was .. themselves!

Fairly scandalous all right. Did they even bother making a pretence that they were looking for anybody else apart from themselves and their own or did they just think "shure it's Ireland, that's the way things are done."

I'd rule out voting for any of these 3 purely on the basis of this so it would be down to a choice between the other 2 for me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

We will never win it again as long as we still have this "mentor" nonsense and closed shop selection process

amdublin wrote: »
    Whoa Johnny L will be on it tonight???? Seriously?!

It's on! Oslo all over again!
    Johnny Logan is set to perform a medley of his Eurovision hits on The Late Late Show tonight as Ireland prepares to select its next entrant for the competition.
    Logan will sing a mash up of Hold Me Now and What’s Another Year along with Why Me (the 1992 Linda Martin winner, which he wrote).

http://thedailyedge.thejournal.ie/johnny-logan-eurovision-late-late-show-1336735-Feb2014/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I'll be muting the TV whenever Johnny Logan and Linda Martin talk or sing. They annoy me a bit too much.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Never let it be said that JL hasn't milked his output!

As long as the memory of Dustin The Turkey remains in the minds of the organizers of Eurovision, Ireland will never win or come remotley close to the top ten.

*bursts balloons, steals pinata*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 408 ✭✭NormanNicetouch

The Master wrote: »
    We will never win it again as long as we still have this "mentor" nonsense and closed shop selection process

Agreed. They need to bring back the National Song Contest. If they held it in the O2 they could probably sell a few thousand tickets especially if they got a decent popular interval act. Other countries hold their selections in big stadiums and sell out the place yet we always get a little stage in the Late Late studio. All looks a bit pathetic.

If I remember the Eurosong selection only lasts about an hour before they revert to usual LLS stuff until it's time for the voting. I know this show always gets a big international audience of Eurofans watching around the world online so please let it not be the usual depression/suicide/euthanasia stuff we normally get around 10.30/11 or these people will think we are the weirdest country ever. I mean EVER.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 817 ✭✭✭shar01

God help me but I renewed my TV licence yesterday... It's the one bill I really begrudge paying and the LLS guests are the main reason.

Still Eurovision. Yay!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭JM Skipton

Will Tubs drag euro song out for the whole show or will there be other guests on?

It's a dull looking list of songs.
    Not a patch on the entrants the year Fr Ted Crilly and Fr Dougal McGuire pulled off a shock victory

Song|Performer
    The Miracle is Mine|Fr. Dick Byrne and Fr. Cyril McDuff
    My Lovely Horse|Fr. Ted Crilly and Fr. Dougal McGuire
    If I Could Wear My Hat Like My Heart|The Grand Girls
    You Dirty English Bastards|The Hairy Bowsies
    The Drums of Africa Are Calling Me Home|Sean O'Brien
    Sha la la la la la la la la la la la la|Death Pigs

• Advertisement

basemann wrote: »
    The good bit though is that with all their connections they can't write a song that is up to standard. You can't buy talent so watch this years effort crash and burn.

Well, if Kasey doesn't win tonight, then the chances of us making it out of the semi-final will decrease quite dramatically...

Johnny Logan will be performing a medley mash up of his three Eurovision winning songs - namely What's Another Year?, Hold Me Now and Why Me?

Oh yeah.

JohnnyLogan-150x150.jpg

And Charlie McGettigan and Paul Harrington will sing Rock n Roll Kids.

And the so-called "panel" will consist of a certain L. Walsh (sorry, BuilderPlumber), a certain L. Martin, a certain M. Dunphy and a certain E. McDermott.

I think the bottom of the barrel has worn away completely from RTE scraping it so much - and they're now scraping the soggy, rotten earth underneath... :o:o:D:);)

walshb wrote: »
    After the toy show this edition is the worst!

You just reminded me of another thing we can expect - the audience applauding the songs and "panel" members' comments far more than necessary, due to no small amount of free booze... :o:D;)

Fairly scandalous all right. Did they even bother making a pretence that they were looking for anybody else apart from themselves and their own or did they just think "shure it's Ireland, that's the way things are done."

I'd rule out voting for any of these 3 purely on the basis of this so it would be down to a choice between the other 2 for me.

Eoghan or Laura for you, then.

Fair enough - but, as I said, our chances of progressing from the semi-final will decrease if Kasey doesn't win... :o:);)

As long as the memory of Dustin The Turkey remains in the minds of the organizers of Eurovision, Ireland will never win or come remotley close to the top ten.

*bursts balloons, steals pinata*

***Sighs***

Yiz are still celebrating Katrina and the Waves over in your neck of the woods since '97!!.....

:p:p:p

Tbf "Heartbeat" is a semi-decent tune, even if it does sound suspiciously like last year's winner in parts! I'd say it'll win fairly comfortably. and might even do quite well in Copenhagen. Laura O'Neill's song is the next best but it's just not strong enough to make an impact at Eurovision.

I'm guessing the televote will go Kasey > Eoghan > Laura > Andrew > Patricia, and jury will go Kasey > Laura > Eoghan > Patrica > Andrew.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭orangesoda

Eoghan Quigg, now there's a blast from the past, such an arrogant little twerp

orangesoda wrote: »
    Eoghan Quigg, now there's a blast from the past, such an arrogant little twerp

His album is mentioned on a Wikipedia list of "music considered the worst" :D:D
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_music_considered_the_worst (scroll down to bottom of 'Albums' section)

• Advertisement

***Sighs***

Yiz are still celebrating Katrina and the Waves over in your neck of the woods since '97!!.....

:p:p:p

Ah, Katrina...as British as Starbucks and Stetson hats!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_music_considered_the_worst (scroll down to bottom of 'Albums' section)

His debut single's highest rank was 96 in the UK charts according to Wikipedia - ouch.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eoghan_Quigg#Singles

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭JM Skipton

Ah, Katrina...as British as Starbucks and Stetson hats!

I'm afraid no matter who performs tonight they will never reach the heights of the great sheeba:D
    sheeba-horoscopes-2.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭orangesoda

if he had have waited a few years to apply for x factor chances are he would have been in that other disaster '1 direction'. He's very muscular now to be fair to him

I'd say Twink was raging she wasn't in Sheeba......

They were great!!...:)

(Seriously, I couldn't let a LLS thread go without the mention of "Her Highness"..)

^^^^^ Maybe she could have a song entry "Zip it up":D:D:D

Maybe something like this only baby zip it up, instead of give it up

cofy wrote: »
    ^^^^^ Maybe she could have a song entry "Zip up your mickey":D:D:D

:D:D:D

Could you imagine the face of the presenters announcing that??....

Et maintenant Irelande .....

Twink chanter "Postal de votre Mickey"....

(I used the capital "M" for obvious reasons......:D)

The Silly Posts have begun already!!.......

:D:D:D

Could you imagine the face of the presenters announcing that??....

Et maintenant Irelande .....

Twink chanter "Postal de votre Mickey"....

(I used the capital "M" for obvious reasons......:D)

The Silly Posts have begun already!!.......

After I posted I could not get "Zip it up, baby zip it up" out of my head so I edited the post:o:o Sorry.

cofy wrote: »
    After I posted I could not get "Zip it up, baby zip it up" out of my head so I edited the post:o:o Sorry.

Tut tut........:D:D:D:D

:P

Around 80 minutes to go, and 23 votes in the poll - 16 for Kasey, three each for Eoghan and Andrew, and one for Patricia.

And none for Laura. Is her song that bad? :eek:

• Advertisement
Advertisement