Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sacchetto Prosecco

• 27-02-2014 2:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭

I love this Prosecco along with the price. I always buy it in Dunnes for 8.60 euro, it used to be about 7 euro, still very good value. Was in Tralee a few days ago and saw the very same bottle for over 17 euro...quite the difference in fairness.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

angeline wrote: »
    I love this Prosecco along with the price. I always buy it in Dunnes for 8.60 euro, it used to be about 7 euro, still very good value. Was in Tralee a few days ago and saw the very same bottle for over 17 euro...quite the difference in fairness.

There are different variants

Frizzante is lighter fizz and comes under still wine and half the duty of "spumante".

Generally the full price seems to be €11.99 in Ireland and £7.49 in UK (there's about €2 extra duty here and higher vat that accounts for difference)

In the UK the "Spumante" variant is £11.99, so allowing for extra duty and vat, that would equate to about €18here.

So my guess is its the same brand, but different variant.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭angeline

I said It to the man in the store and he didn't exactly try to argue its merits or differences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

I said It to the man in the store and he didn't exactly try to argue its merits or differences.

guys in grocery stores rarely know alot about products they sell.

I don't know what variety they currently sell or what they used to sell, I'm just giving you a potential explanation as to why there is a difference.

e.g. Saccetto Prosecco is the general name of a range - this range have several varieties that differ in price and also there is a substantial duty difference between a lightly sparkling (frizzante) prosecco and a full sparkling prosecco.

Duty on still wine (frizzante gets in under this category) 5.5% - 15% abv = 3.18 + vat
    Duty on sparkling wine = 6.36 + vat

So let say you find 2 identical sparkling wines, but one is frizzante and one is full sparkling, there would be a €4 duty/vat difference between the 2 at retail.

Or put it another way - if Dunnes bought the wine free and sold it on with zero profit, the price you pay would still be €7.82 and the entire 7.82 (duty + vat) would go to revenue.

So you will not get a bottle of proper sparkling wine for under €8, but you may get a basic bottle of frizzante as the duty and vat on the duty on frizzante is 3.92.

So next time you are in dunnes and if it says Frizzante, then they are charging a little too much, but if it doesn't say frizzante, it probably the right price and different to the one they used to have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

They might also be planning to sell it for "half price" so they have to sell it for a certain number of days before this can be advertised as such.

I see many half price wines on tesco online, there are always several, I don't think I have never once seen half price beer in tesco.

rubadub wrote: »
    They might also be planning to sell it for "half price" so they have to sell it for a certain number of days before this can be advertised as such.

I see many half price wines on tesco online, there are always several, I don't think I have never once seen half price beer in tesco.

It's been this price for at least two years. Will take a closer look at it next time but it is lovely nevertheless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

It's been this price for at least two years.
    I take it you mean its been €7-8.60 for years?

I meant the shop selling for €17 may have upped the price just so they can later legitimately claim to be selling it for "half price" in a month or so when they reduce it to what its really worth. They can get in trouble for claiming its half price when its not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Where did you see it in Tralee for that price?

I saw it in Cork (Fine Wines) for €17.50 and it's most definitely a rip off. It should be €12-13 max as it is in other shops. And for the record it was the 'frizzante' and not 'Spumante'.

grenache wrote: »
    Where did you see it in Tralee for that price?

I saw it in Cork (Fine Wines) for €17.50 and it's most definitely a rip off. It should be €12-13 max as it is in other shops. And for the record it was the 'frizzante' and not 'Spumante'.

Yeah I'm fairly sure it was the frizzante I saw too. It was an off licence near Manor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭andersat2

I'm crying after holidays in Spain or Italy, where a bottle of Prosecco usually costs no more than 3 Euro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

Shock horror, wine is place where is is made, with way smaller duties and no import tax, costs less that on another country.

Also, I would probably expect that a small off license would be more expensive that a national supermarket. Possibly not that much of a difference but it is a bit like comparing a small newsagents with a large supermarket.

• Advertisement
Advertisement