Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cad course Code ATL90

Options
  • 27-02-2014 11:21am
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Has anyone done this cad course,

CAD - 3D Parametric Modelling - Online Tutor Support & Workshops Course Code ATL90.

I,m considering it at the moment as an online course, due to my distance from Athlone. I am qualified in a few parametric modelling software packages, but I,m thinking this might make me more employable.

Thats of course if some one wants to employ a 59 year old construction professional:D:D

And i dont want to hear any comments about flying pigs either :p

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I've never done it and know nothing about it but if you're already qualified in a few parametric CAD packages would the course not consist of stuff you've already done?

Your best bet is to contact the head of the course and explain what you've done already and see if he thinks the course would be of any benefit to you.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

CatFromHue wrote: »
    I've never done it and know nothing about it but if you're already qualified in a few parametric CAD packages would the course not consist of stuff you've already done?

Your best bet is to contact the head of the course and explain what you've done already and see if he thinks the course would be of any benefit to you.

Fair point.:)

But as jobseeker, albeit a mature one:D I am expected to explore any opportunity for a position or a chance to upskill and make myself more employable. It might be an opening to refresh my 3d parametric skills in another programme , ie solidworks ect.

Whether it is practical to expend valuable resources refreshing cad skills of someone in my years, is another thread entirely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

I would consider doing a autodesk revit course, it's becoming a big thing in the ole industry ;) it's more for architecture and so on but it would be worth a look

Architecture and conceptual design programmes really would not interest me. As my background is in hands on construction role, prior to my cad roles. I would be more at home designing and problem solving with an appropriate cad programme. Solidworks I believe is a popular programme now widely in use from a manufacturing aspect, but I,ve been unable to find a course in that at the moment. But I,m still looking.

I best hurry........., I,m not getting any younger you know:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

Stating the obvious, but there is a huge volume of free/cheap online SolidWorks courses and tutorials, many of which are excellent. When I began using SW my employer paid for training which was very useful, but given the time (and your experience) self teaching is definitely an option.

Your biggest problem might be getting a software license to practice on.

• Advertisement

Self teaching is definitely an option, and I am not ruling out that, as I have done it in the past on other programmes.But getting certification in it might prove awkward. As some employers require that as a minimum.

I think you have hit the nail on the head as far as the licensed software is concerned. Its going to be tricky to get that from a training perspective. Only yesterday I was refused a particular industry specific programme, unless the request comes through a company that is currently using it. I have asked about the purchase price of the programme in question, but I suspect the shock could dampen my enthusiasm.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Which program are you looking at?

If it's SolidWorks you could ask for a student copy or explain you're unemployed and looking to upskill.

You can also do online certification tests in SolidWorks too http://www.solidworks.com/sw/support/mcad-certification-programs.htm

Not looking at any particular programme really at this stage. Something I could get certified in, from an industry point of view, or City and Guilds.
    Programme that would give me a possible all round option from an employment point of view ( i know I,m clutching at straws on that one..). I dont really want to learn a new programme that is industry specific, hopefully one that has a broader user spectrum.

I,ll check out the possibility of a student version of SW, and see what happens in the meantime. Thanks for the links.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,885 ✭✭✭✭dvcireland

kadman wrote: »
    Has anyone done this cad course,

CAD - 3D Parametric Modelling - Online Tutor Support & Workshops Course Code ATL90.

I,m considering it at the moment as an online course, due to my distance from Athlone. I am qualified in a few parametric modelling software packages, but I,m thinking this might make me more employable.

Thats of course if some one wants to employ a 59 year old construction professional:D:D

And i dont want to hear any comments about flying pigs either :p
    these courses requires attendance at the training centre. I recently enquired about the one been offered from the Wexford training centre.

"...no Joe, you rang me !..." A.Caller.

dvcireland wrote: »
    these courses requires attendance at the training centre. I recently enquired about the one been offered from the Wexford training centre.

Correct, for some classroom workshops throughout the course. But primarily its an online course.

• Advertisement

Self teaching is definitely an option, and I am not ruling out that, as I have done it in the past on other programmes.But getting certification in it might prove awkward. As some employers require that as a minimum.

I think you have hit the nail on the head as far as the licensed software is concerned. Its going to be tricky to get that from a training perspective. Only yesterday I was refused a particular industry specific programme, unless the request comes through a company that is currently using it. I have asked about the purchase price of the programme in question, but I suspect the shock could dampen my enthusiasm.

As far as I know, all of the SW certifications are done online, and in theory you can attain them without ever doing a training course. I've never seen these required by employers though, the usual blurb just states that some SW experience is needed.

CatFromHue's suggestion is a good one, there must be a (legal) cheap or free licence for self - teaching purposes. Buying a full-price licence would be nuts just to learn the programme.

As far as I know, all of the SW certifications are done online, and in theory you can attain them without ever doing a training course. I've never seen these required by employers though, the usual blurb just states that some SW experience is needed.

CatFromHue's suggestion is a good one, there must be a (legal) cheap or free licence for self - teaching purposes. Buying a full-price licence would be nuts just to learn the programme.

Just waiting on confirmation of my eligibility on a student SW copy at 120 euro, should know during the week.
    But its really a student eligibility form, and thats going to be a possible stumbling block.

Call back from Solidworks today.

They can only sanction a student license copy to me if I am in full time education and can prove that with a student reference number at the appropriate college, for a sum of 120 euro. Failing that I would have to pay the full software license fee of £5000+.

So realistically , " taint gonna happen". Full time education at 58-59, sure I,d be a pensioner before I graduated :D

Call back from Solidworks today.

They can only sanction a student license copy to me if I am in full time education and can prove that with a student reference number at the appropriate college, for a sum of 120 euro. Failing that I would have to pay the full software license fee of £5000+.

So realistically , " taint gonna happen". Full time education at 58-59, sure I,d be a pensioner before I graduated :D

That's farcical, I'm amazed SW don't have something that you could use.
    Even secondary schools use it now.

Advertisement