Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sri Lanka!!

• 27-02-2014 11:41am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys.

I’m thinking of travelling to Sri Lanka for a month or so in Sept, has anyone been?

Whats the backpacker scene like? Is there certain party areas and quiet areas or how does it work? Does it cater more for package holidaymakers or is there decent independent traveller scene like say SE Asia or India?

What areas would you recommend?

Whats the hostel situation like?

What activities and sights are recommended or available? I hear the surfing is great?

Obviously a lot of this info is available on TA, Lonely Planet and Wikitravel but Id prefer to hear it from someone with first hand experience.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 330 ✭✭statina

Hi Guys.

I’m thinking of travelling to Sri Lanka for a month or so in Sept, has anyone been?

Whats the backpacker scene like? Is there certain party areas and quiet areas or how does it work? Does it cater more for package holidaymakers or is there decent independent traveller scene like say SE Asia or India?

What areas would you recommend?

Whats the hostel situation like?

What activities and sights are recommended or available? I hear the surfing is great?

Obviously a lot of this info is available on TA, Lonely Planet and Wikitravel but Id prefer to hear it from someone with first hand experience.

Thanks!

Spent a fortnight in Sri Lanka in November. Absolutely loved it, it's an incredible country. We went from Colombo to Sigarya for two days. Then Sigirya to Ella which was gorgeous. We also went to Kandy which I didn't think was that great and would prob advise ti skip. We went down south to Unawattana which was my favourite, amazing beach, incredible food and gorgeous people. Also theres a place where you can see fishermen perched on stilts in the morning time which is very cool to watch.

We stayed in hostels/guesthouses all over Sri Lanka. I'd say it's a mixture of independent travellers and packaged holidays- a lot of of people we met were on a two week holiday/ honeymoon combined with the Maldives.

We travelled on local buses which were grand compared to Indian local buses! Aragum Bay is the main surfing area, didn't have time to go there but heard great things about it.

Enjoy, it's an amazing country- cant wait to go back!

Advertisement