Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pancake Tuesday!! \o/

Options
  • 27-02-2014 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭

So Pancake Tuesday is just around the corner which offers a wonderful opportunity to binge eat without compunction - yay for periodically shameless pigging out!!! :D It actually falls on my birthday too this year so that means pancakes + birthday cake = happy Merkin.

I like to normally have chopped up fruit (usually strawberries or mango) in mine with raspberry ripple ice cream or cream.

I'd love to hear some ideas for what other people have in there's?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I'm old-school - butter, lemon juice & a sprinkling of sugar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭dipdip

I love the traditional way as above - butter, sugar and lemon juice.

I also love a swab of nutella and a bit of ice cream, nyom. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

I made chocolate sauce a while back so it's gonna make an appearance. Gonna be great fun with the kids too!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

This year I'm planning on having savoury pancakes for dinner followed by sweet pancakes for dessert. Y'know, just to really go to town on pancakes.

Any suggestions for the savoury? I was thinking either spinach & cheese or else something bacony.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

OMG I am drooling now :)

You could do a Chinese style pancake homemadecider with shredded duck and spring onions maybe?

• Advertisement

...I was thinking either spinach & cheese or else something bacony.

Squeezy bacon for your pancakes... :D
    squeez-bacon-excerpt.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Pancake, Chicken & A Small Bit Of Salt. Weird But Delish

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Any suggestions for the savoury? I was thinking either spinach & cheese or else something bacony.

My mother used to spread dijon mustard on pancakes, sprinkle them with chopped ham and roll them up in a dish. Then she'd cover them with cheese sauce and bake them.

I'm in the butter, lemon and sugar brigade unless I'm having them for brunch - then I like them with crispy bacon and maple syrup.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Squeezy bacon for your pancakes... :D
    squeez-bacon-excerpt.jpg

My daughter gave me a jar of bacon jam the other day. I haven't tried it yet, it seems wrong....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

A couple of years ago we had crepes wrapped around ham and baked in a cheese & gruyere sauce topped with more cheese. It was amazing but I should have been more controlled in the portion I ate, it was so rich and I way over did it (One more pancake left? Why, I've only had 3 and about a ladle of cheese sauce, don't mind if I do!) Both thumbs up for pancakes, ham & cheese though.

Last year had pancakes with marshmallows & chocolate. One of the few times a year it feels a-ok to eat something that blindingly sweet
    My daughter gave me a jar of bacon jam the other day. I haven't tried it yet, it seems wrong....

Is it Hicks Bacon Jam? I was wary too but it's sorta gorgeous! Great on cheddar & toast. They have photos on their facebook pages of people eating it on gingersnaps and the like but I never quite wrapped my head around trying that!

• Advertisement

A bit off-topic - but I was asking The Kids recently what was their favourite food. Fully expecting "your lamb vindaloo, Dad" from HB Jr I & "your roast chicken & spuds, Dad" from HB Jr II - I was astounded to hear "Mum's pancakes!" from the pair of them.
    "No, really - what's your favourite-favourite food?"
    "Seriously, Dad - Mum's pancakes!"

Feckin' turncoats! :(

Mrs Billy does pancakes for their tea the odd Friday evening as a treat, & usually has to have 2 pans on the hob to keep a steady supply on the go until their feeding-frenzy is quelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,040 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I really like buckwheat crepes - galettes.
    Very easy to make and great with savoury fillings.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,587 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Some friends are calling over to mine. I'm thinking about using emc2's recipe from TCC as a savoury pancake, followed by just nutella, twirl and some Ben&Jerrys for a 2nd/3rd pancake.

For the bacon, I'm thinking of just frying off a load of it in butter and baking it on parchment paper til crispy, then chopping up into little bacon bits. Should make it easy to sprinkle crispy bacon bits onto pancakes with maple syrup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

I normally have salt and pepper on my pancakes. I prefer them savoury rather than sweet.

I tried nutella and strawberries with them last year and it was gorgeous, not overly keen on nutella though so I'm hoping to try Loire's chocolate sauce recipe out.
    Loire wrote: »
    I made chocolate sauce a while back so it's gonna make an appearance. Gonna be great fun with the kids too!!
    Any chance of the recipe please?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Have to say I love poached pears drizzled in dark chocolate for my filling ,

Is it Hicks Bacon Jam? I was wary too but it's sorta gorgeous! Great on cheddar & toast. They have photos on their facebook pages of people eating it on gingersnaps and the like but I never quite wrapped my head around trying that!

It is! Ed Hick's. I'll try it with cheese on toast :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

This year I'm planning on having savoury pancakes for dinner followed by sweet pancakes for dessert. Y'know, just to really go to town on pancakes.

Every year I have the same savoury pancake - red/yellow pepper, rocket, red pesto, feta. I'd have two of these before having a third sweet one with just maple syrup

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

I'm going to be making proteincakes this year since I'm being healthier. Here's my mix:

2 whole eggs
    4 egg whites
    75ml Skimmed Milk (or whatever type of milk)
    30g Vanilla-Flavoured Whey Powder

Blend with a blender or electric whisk because even with a hand whisk or shaker you'll end up with lumps from the powder sticking together. Depending on how thin or thick you like them it should be enough for 1 or two people - I made 4 last night. For the filling I'll be going with some honey or golden syrup if I want super-sweet (the whey has sweetener in it) or some lemon juice on its own.

If I were going for savoury pancakes I would purchase Unflavoured Whey, I threw a heap of bacon, turkey and a small bit of cheese onto one of the above last night and while delicious the sweetener in the protein powder was a bit jarring.

BTW, that makes 60% protein pancakes which I'll be adding as a regular recipe throughout the year :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭gg2

I love em with butter and caster sugar nommmm nommy nom.
    Always call to my sister then about 8 for round 2 (she has children so its a bit more exciting) and will have one with as much chocolate, marshmallows, ice cream, fresh cream or whatever is on the go!

OT, but seriously - bacon jam???? Where oh where can I get my hands on this???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

Nutella and banana for me :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Simple lemon and sugar for me but now I want this Bacon jam. Where can it be had in Dublin. Fallon & byrnes?

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭emaleth

Slunk wrote: »
    Simple lemon and sugar for me but now I want this Bacon jam. Where can it be had in Dublin. Fallon & byrnes?

Yep, and various farmer's markets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

I think ill have to go for a little trip to F&B now so. Thanks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

Nutella and chopped almonds..........AMAZEBALLS!!!! gonna try a few curley wurleys in 1....... or 6...heard it on the ray d'arcy show today....getting excited just thinking about them :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

I'm a Lemon juice, Sugar and Golden syrup person. I can't make any fancy sort of pancake. Not a notion how!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

So finally figured ours out...

Dinner: Savoury pancakes with goats cheese, walnuts, pickled beetroot and honey dressing.

Dessert: Dark chocolate and banana pancakes.

For the record I use Felicity Cloake's pancake recipe and they always turn out great.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭The Red Lad

There's only one way to eat pancakes butter,sugar and lemon juice with a ice cold pint of milk to wash them down old school but definitley the best

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭hdl

I've never heard of anyone having butter on pancakes, is this a "thing"?? :eek: Always lemon and sugar here, or jam (but plain old strawberry or raspberry, no bacon jam!).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

yea i have never heard the butter thing either. i don't get it :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

Butter, salt and pepper is delicious on pancakes, but on its own...not so delicious.

I'm well aware that salt and pepper is entirely strange too :o

This year for sweet pancakes I'm thinking strawberries, bananas, cream and chocolate sauce? Yay/nay?

Maple/golden syrup etc ugh. Can't stand the sight, smell or taste of them. Jam/honey doesn't appeal either.

Advertisement