Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not The Trivial things that make you happy

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

Warm clothes straight of the radiators in the mornings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

Toast my mam makes.

A bit sad because they are gone, but my trivial happy thing is my memories of my lifelong gp (and neighbour), who I've just found out is retiring. My first memory of him is as a very young kid walking up on my own to him with a cut and himself and his wife giving me orange and biscuits for being so "brave" (my mother ensured that they were genuinely a novelty when I was growing up)

You'd go into him with pain and you'd come out with pains in your side from laughing. He just said whatever came to his mind. He'd have the waiting room packed to the rafters with the radio and tv blaring in order to compensate for the lack of soundproofing/privacy between the surgery and the waiting room (please note, planning inspectors!) and he'd stand there leaning against the bed telling you stories about his escapades from some random time in his life. It went something along the lines of "oh that bollocks... don't get me started...come here till I tell you..." Of course, you'd be conscious of the slew of people waiting on him and be trying to make yourself scarce but he'd think of another story and he'd have to tell you. Then you had to take the smile off your face as you walked through all the unhappy people in the waiting room on the way out...

I remember once asking him why he didn't become a consultant: "too many fúcking exams". And this was about the most educated, respected and enlightened person in my area. Always admirably down-to-earth. A few years ago when I needed to have a serious talk with him, his demeanour changed entirely and I saw a serious, sensitive side to the man that I really valued at that time, and will always remember with utmost respect.

Back in 2011 I wanted to know his opening hours so I googled his name. Up came a list of all the money he was paid for medical card patients in the previous year. I couldn't resist a gander. I went down to him and said, 'I never realised you got €300k from medical card patients last year - no wonder you could buy a top of the range Merc last year when the country went bankrupt". His face dropped with the shock that it was all online. Priceless (scary the happiness I got from that!).

Better still is going to him about a problem and saying something like "Are you sure about that? I was on Google and it said..." "Fúck off with your google. You stick to the [insert my profession] and let me stick to the medicine!". The google mention worked each and every time. The sincerer I sounded the madder he got. His wife was the ticket as well. Every year I used to get my bloods done with him - "I'd be killed if I sent you into the hospital to get them done!" - and I'd ring up for the results the following week and his wife would interrogate me about every aspect of my life and make me account for any rise or fall in the cholesterol etc figures. It was like she needed to vent at the very moment I appeared on the phone line and she knew I'd humour her with a captive audience. Actually, on taking the bloods himself was getting funnier in recent years - "See, those young doctors wouldn't take your bloods as well as an auld fella like me does!" (I never knew there was a skill to it, but I now surmise there is - he was hilariously defensive about that anyway!)

I'm going to miss the craic from that big character and his presence in my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

A long, indulgent bubbly bath. Hoping to get some nice expensive toiletries for Christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Being asked if I would be godmother to my best friends baby. She's due in 8 days. I'm delighted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭misstearheus

Xmas FM has just started up for the Festive Season! Woohoo! Does anyone else have No. 6 on their Car-radio reserved for it or is it just me?! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

Really enjoyed the Toyshow....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

When you have to fold a *random* number of letters at work to send out to people...so you put your hand into the envelope drawer and pull out a *random* number of envelopes - and you pull out the EXACT number of envelopes you need!

Now THAT'S trivially satisfying :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

At the moment, beside the fire, a pile of the Sunday papers to read, mug of tea, choccie biscuits, perfick!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

Mint Hot Chocolate

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Belle E. Flops

Put up my Christmas tree and decorated my sitting room after spending the last 2days cleaning the house. Still have things to put up elsewhere but will do that during the week.

Just looking around the room makes me so happy. It's so cosy and inviting.

The rest of the night will be spent having a yummy roast, and then sitting down with mulled wine and watching Its A Wonderful Life! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Olishi4

Put up my Christmas tree and decorated my sitting room after spending the last 2days cleaning the house. Still have things to put up elsewhere but will do that during the week.

Just looking around the room makes me so happy. It's so cosy and inviting.

Same here and after spending about half an hour untangling a set of lights, I was expecting the same form the other set but they were tangle free :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,895 ✭✭✭gifted

Herself and the kids to feck off for about two days....just two days...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Pantet Earth II, Countryfile, then Planet Earth II again.

Stove roaring and mam visited.

Great evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭This Fat Girl Runs

A Sunday evening phone call with my mom.

In the library for most of the day. Some amadán a good few seats away from me not only left his phone on but he answered it when it rang. He then, creid é nó ná creid, decided to have a full conversation while people were holding their tongues or looking daggers at him. He wasn't long into it when he had line problems 'Can you hear me?", says he. "Yes!", said a voice loudly from the other side of the library. hehe. Giggles everywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

a box of Tayto crisps

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

mansize wrote:
    a box of Tayto crisps

And only 4e at the moment..I'm TH also..bon appetit ðŸ˜

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭mewe

There's something about tayto crisps out of a box that makes them seem more of a treat. Remember the Pub tayto crisps aswell - they were the winner.

Cuddles. Been really sad all day and cuddles have cheered me right up. Dog cuddles and people cuddles.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

Monday mornings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

Got a table in a busy coffee shop, quickly realised that the group at the next table were VERY LOUD and painful. A better table came up almost straightaway. Trivially happy now, waiting for good friend to join me, looking forward to the catch up.

The weirdest thing happened to me today. I don't usually believe in "signs" or anything spooky but bear with me.

On Friday evening I went to the shop and bought two chocolate bars. I had one straight away and I said I'd keep the other for later when I got home. When I got home, I couldn't find the second bar but it was dark and so I left it thinking maybe I threw it into my handbag. Couldn't find it so had another look on Saturday morning but it was nowhere to be found. I thought I left it in the shop then.

So yesterday I was in the car, 3 times. No chocolate.

I was very upset yesterday, for no real reason, it was just a horrible day and I ended up crying so much I could hardly catch my breath. I cried myself to sleep, and woke up this morning with my eyes feeling sore and my head thumping from the hysterics the night before. I missed my dad a lot. I had a dr appointment first thing this morning and got into my car, got out at the Drs, was about ten minutes in getting my bloods done and came back to the car. What's on the edge of the drivers seat? My chocolate. I was thinking what a simpleton I am, sitting on it this entire time but when I opened it it was cold, and hard. I hadn't sat on it. It wasn't squished and lord knows it would have been squished with my arse parked on it.

I am sure there is a rational and reasonable explanation for it, there has to be. But I feel a lot better today and not as dark as I felt yesterday, as I feel my dad would give out to me for eating two bars in a row and I got it back today when I probably needed him the most. I know it sounds stupid to everyone else but it's made me very happy today or at least a lot happier than yesterday.

My best friend is in hospital now giving birth to my godson. That's not very trivial but I'm happy happy happy. Can't wait to meet him

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

The weather! It's supposed to be a 'balmy' 13 degrees for the rest of the week, people will be going out in Christmas shorts rather than Christmas jumpers this weekend :pac:

Plus this should (hopefully) mean no chance of snow for Christmas so double result :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Sounds a bit mean, but I don't mean it that way.

I love when I come home to an empty house - no missus, no kids - just me, the kettle and the ipod - actually get to sit down and listen to a song or two without interruption, occasionally even a whole album.

I also then love when I hear the missus and the kids finally coming in! Funny old world innit:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

kfallon wrote: »
    The weather! It's supposed to be a 'balmy' 13 degrees for the rest of the week, people will be going out in Christmas shorts rather than Christmas jumpers this weekend :pac:

Plus this should (hopefully) mean no chance of snow for Christmas so double result :D

Well that makes me feel a lot better about the dress I'm wearing to my christmas party :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,895 ✭✭✭gifted

13 degrees in December...jaysus the wans will have the mini skirts out in force...woo hoo

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Getting back to your car (parked in supermarket multistorey) and validating your ticket ONE minute before the next hour starts and because I was one minute within the two hours, I got free parking.

If I'd been sixty seconds later, it would have been €3 and the best thing was that I wasn't purposely trying to get back to the car before the third hour started.
    It was just luck.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭clairewithani

Sounds a bit mean, but I don't mean it that way.

I love when I come home to an empty house - no missus, no kids - just me, the kettle and the ipod - actually get to sit down and listen to a song or two without interruption, occasionally even a whole album.

I also then love when I hear the missus and the kids finally coming in! Funny old world innit:D

Lovely post.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement