Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not The Trivial things that make you happy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

The sun shines on a calm morning of fields dusted white with frost. I'm going for a walk through the bog before mass. Why happy? Why not, on a morning like this?

My walk to work is the only good thing about working a day shift on Sunday. I've been out already in the frosty stillness and traffic aside, can't wait to get back out there again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

Having a daily routine makes me TH. It might seem boring, but if I'm sick, or otherwise knocked out of that routine, I miss it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

Listening to music on my phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

trolls getting their ar$e handed to them

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

The ease with which I can boil a kettle/light the gas to refill a chilling hot water bottle and make a hot drink on a bitter night... was woken by Jacob-cat celebrating his first prey..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

So this morning on the motorway this car came up behind me in the passing lane. So close he may as well have been sitting in the back seat of my car.
    He is flashing me to get out of his way. Coz ya know - he is king of the road.
    So when I have finished my passing I revert back in to the normal lane and he gives me a good wave of his fist as he belts on down the road and starts flashing the next car that dared to be in his lane.

But it did put a wee smile on my face when I came across him a few minutes later having been pulled over by an unmarked squad car. Guess he was late to work after all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Waiting to board a flight to Copenhagen

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

Yesterday - playing Bananagrams in the pub with friends after a Sunday roast :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

This song and story of the Norwegian girl who bought a horse in Dublin and got to know a bunch of young lads from Meath St stables.

Seen it about a month back but find myself thinking about it now and again.
    There's just something so real about it.

Cuts right through the usual social classism and focuses on the positives and potential in people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

The ad for Vodafone with the man on the bath and the nice pig watching him. That pig is adorable

• Advertisement

Just.. more at peace than for a while.... Enjoying wandering round outside when it gets light, watching for shoots emerging while the dog fossicks round. Just... quietude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

The sun is up and the dank day that was yesterday is over. The snowdrops are in flower and the daffodils are ready to open. A chance for a full day outside tidying the debris from the gale always lifts my spirits. I know this thread is 'trivial things...' but on balance it is an accumulation of trivial happy events that lead to our overall mood. The big things pass but trivial happy moments appear every day. Today it's getting to work outside in some sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,623 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Driving with my son (6) yesterday and he saw some of the TO LET signs round the place, and thought it would be funny if they said TOILET. Then he realised we have some blank sticky while labels at home that could easily be shaped into an I. He thought it was hilarious.

Seriously considering going out and adding an I to some of them, and then showing him.

Unexpectedly seeing snow atop the mountains around the cottage... Heart leap.

osarusan wrote: »
    Driving with my son (6) yesterday and he saw some of the TO LET signs round the place, and thought it would be funny if they said TOILET. Then he realised we have some blank sticky while labels at home that could easily be shaped into an I. He thought it was hilarious.

Seriously considering going out and adding an I to some of them, and then showing him.

That brought back happy memories, as one of my daughters used to say the same thing. Another used to think Loose Chipping signs were 'Loose Chickens'.

Thanks for the happy memories.

There's an after lunch programme on KCLR everyday with songs from the 80s and 90s. I love singing along, none of yer modern muck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

HB vanilla ice-cream with a digestive biscuit crumbled over it and an unhealthy dash of hot homemade chocolate sauce on the side.

Better than sex.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Winterlong wrote: »
    HB vanilla ice-cream with a digestive biscuit crumbled over it and an unhealthy dash of hot homemade chocolate sauce on the side.

Better than sex.

Combine them...although, maybe leave out the crumbled digestive.
    That could be like sand and riding on a beach.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

Staaaaaaarving but broke til payday on Thursday, decided to throw caution/meagre remaining disposable income to the wind and ran into Avoca to get a sammich from Poulet Bonne Femme... turns out I've a loyalty card and as this was my 10th sandwich, I got it for free. Cheers, universe! Needed that bit of good karma just now :D

Tucking into warm homemade scones with blackberry jam. Memories of picking those blackberries on warm September evenings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,623 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

madmaggie wrote: »
    Tucking into warm homemade scones with blackberry jam. Memories of picking those blackberries on warm September evenings.

When I eat my own home-made marmalade, I have memories of that lovely day buying the tin in Dunnes :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭Tristrams Shandied

When the accountant doesn't even charge you where someone else would fleece you for the same advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

I was hugging my youngest who is 5 yrs old after school and telling her I had missed her. She asks why and I said, ah I was just waiting for you to come home and be my baby again. But Mam, she says looking puzzled , I was your baby when I was in school :) The same child is wired to the moon and would try the patience of a saint but that made me smile and just a little watery eyed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Boardsies coming together to help each other out.

Makes a change being able to trust a randomer online!

Makes me feel good about the sense of community on here

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Spudgun

milky moos!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,150 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Letting off a good fart when peeing.

Being handed a lovely note from someone thanking me for a very small kindness I did them last week. Random acts of kindness bring rewards. We should all try at least one per week.

The calming familiarity of a mug of tea, in the middle of a stressful, anxious day. Sometimes it's only the little things that help us keep it all together.

That since the start of 2017 there have been over 2900 posts of little things making people happy.

And only 800 in the trivial annoyance thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

That since the start of 2017 there have been over 2900 posts of little things making people happy.

And only 800 in the trivial annoyance thread.

I don't know whether to be happy or annoyed about that :). But it made me smile anyway !

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement