Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not The Trivial things that make you happy

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

After being resting my bandy foot for the past few days and barely leaving the house, it's wonderful to be able to be mobile and back in work!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

People proving me wrong when I jump to conclusions and listen to other people's opinions of them instead of waiting to draw my own. When someone is genuinely nice and seems to have a good heart, and realising that before you become as nasty as the person who told you the bad stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

Jelly and ice cream. Possibly the best thing about being admitted to hospital

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Being wrecked tired after getting a mountain of work done.

That wonderful smell of freshly cut grass.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭Miss Demeanour

Feeling and most likely looking like shyte and getting a random compliment from a stranger. It just shows you can never underestimate the power kind words can have on someones day. It made me smile anyway. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Ms. Chanandler Bong

Watching my littleun taking her first steps ever in a pair of shoes... I cried laughing at the "WTF are these things?!" look on her face :D

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Thebe

A great catch-up with a good friend that I haven't seen for a few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,705 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

The giant patch of wild garlic I came across while walking the dog earlier :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

Feeling and most likely looking like shyte and getting a random compliment from a stranger. It just shows you can never underestimate the power kind words can have on someones day. It made me smile anyway. :)

And never underestimate how others view you despite how you negatively view yourself :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

That wonderful smell of freshly cut grass.

And the scent of wisteria in full bloom. Well, both the scent and the look of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Thebe

New Home wrote: »
    And the scent of wisteria in full bloom. Well, both the scent and the look of it.

Googles "wisteria" :D:D Will be looking out for this now.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Thebe wrote: »
    Googles "wisteria" :D:D Will be looking out for this now.

If you're anywhere near the Botanic Gardens in Dublin, go in and have a look, they've quite a few, they're stunning when the flowers are out.

This is what it looks like in winter.

chaintent1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭zimszimer1

Laughing until you cry!

Happened to me loads today and hadn't experienced it in years. Felt so good!

Oh and making someone you love smile/laugh/feel better. Has to be up there as well for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

northgirl wrote: »
    Passed a man earlier with his dog. The dog was proudly carrying a frozen pizza (in it's box) home. Don't know why but just love when dogs are carrying things! Makes them even more adorable.

Saw this post on another thread and thought about your TTTMYH from a few days ago northgirl....dogs helping owners by carrying in grocery shopping! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Saw this post on another thread and thought about your TTTMYH from a few days ago northgirl....dogs helping owners by carrying in grocery shopping! :pac:

took out the video to quote.

Really love that video - such happy dogs, which makes me happy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

I don't know how many will agree with me but sometimes getting older gives you a certain amount of clarity in some situations that may arise. A friend may have cheated on her fiancé at the weekend and I was a bit shocked about it but it's not my life or problem if she has or not so older and wiser me says move on. My aunt is unwell at the moment but I feel like I'm able to handle bad news like that better than I did when I was younger.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

just now? Logging off boards . Thought I had friends here. Fare thee well time?

Graces7 wrote: »
    just now? Logging off boards . Thought I had friends here. Fare thee well time?

That doesn't sound remotely happy.

Coffee date with old colleagues this morning. Should be fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

It does not happen very often, but great to wake up full of the joys of spring.
    Sure the weather is good, a weekend down west beckons and the kids school has a cake sale.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

Fantastic - made my morning that did! It's their sheer determination!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 48 StabiloBoss

I was listening to a podcast last week about people's perceptions of how hard they think their lives are compared to others. It is a very common misconception that people have.

The presenter had the authors of a paper on that studied what the psychological impact is of someone actively seeking out and acknowledging the things they are happy about. They got people to keep a little notebook and write 3-5 things a night that they were grateful/happy about. This is from the largest (e.g. 'Healthy') to the smallest ('My new shoes are incredibly comfy'). It had a very positive effect on people's levels of happiness, as perceived by themselves. It made people happier!

I decided to start this myself, and now have a nice list building of everything I'm happy about. Only a week in and it is great to browse through. It also made me think the authors would be fascinated by this thread. Maybe we were ahead of the science on this one!

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Ms. Chanandler Bong

I was listening to a podcast last week about people's perceptions of how hard they think their lives are compared to others. It is a very common misconception that people have.

The presenter had the authors of a paper on that studied what the psychological impact is of someone actively seeking out and acknowledging the things they are happy about. They got people to keep a little notebook and write 3-5 things a night that they were grateful/happy about. This is from the largest (e.g. 'Healthy') to the smallest ('My new shoes are incredibly comfy'). It had a very positive effect on people's levels of happiness, as perceived by themselves. It made people happier!

I decided to start this myself, and now have a nice list building of everything I'm happy about. Only a week in and it is great to browse through. It also made me think the authors would be fascinated by this thread. Maybe we were ahead of the science on this one!

There's a whole thing in bullet-journaling about tracking habits. One of the things people track is just that, "things that made you happy today" or "good things today". Pretty much everyone says the same as you, it just makes you feel better in general. Sorta like reading through this thread and going "Ah yes! That one for me too!"

Anyhoo, my trivial happiness for this morning was my OH letting the newest batch of calves and their mammies out into the field beside our house, while my 13 month old stood on the couch staring out the window and pointing and squealing "Babies!!!" every time one of the calves leapt in the air (they leapt a LOT!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Belle E. Flops

Coffee and cream egg break. yum

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭Poochie05

Coffee and cream egg break. yum

Tea and jam doughnut break, double yum!

Put the 2-year-old to bed and read stories, as I lay on the mattress on the floor next to her cot, to her last night as I do every night. However, she just wanted more and more stories and got upset when I stopped reading and said it was time to go to sleep. She pulled her little hand back from my hand and turned away from me in the cot.

Ten minutes later she turned back, calls me and puts her little hand out through the cot bars and I hold it. She smiles and falls asleep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Daddy daughter bonds makes me beyond happy.

I've just got confirmation of a tax refund of €1924. And I only did the return, last week, for the sake of keeping up to date. Happy days!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

I've just got confirmation of a tax refund of €1924. And I only did the return, last week, for the sake of keeping up to date. Happy days!

I had a similar amount 3 weeks ago. And then the boiler died which could be a complaint, but glad that the tax refund paid for a new boiler and that the house is more snuggy warm. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

Fourteen year old cat gone all eejity in the sunshine.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement